“Outdoor cafe”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Fowey, England, United Kingdom
“Outdoor cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was sunny and we at outside with the great view across the green to the cathedral. We only wanted a quick snack , and the staff were quick and attentive. The food was fine and we left happily to further explore the highways and byways of Exeter.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear ‘Neil H’

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I will share your kind comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Matt Collins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We booked on an expedia deal and it was, in fairness, a cheap deal. However, I feel a little like we had a bad room in a good hotel. Reception staff were helpful, the room was clean with a large and pretty comfortable bed. It's location is also excellent, just minutes way from the high st and opposite the cathedral. However the room felt tired and ragged round the edges; the light over the bath was coming away from the ceiling, the toilet kept sticking on flush and the shower leaked. The one small window looked out over rooftops and aircon units and the room just wasn't anywhere you really wanted to spend a lot of time. There are also no public areas in which you can just relax, all hotel areas are bars, restaurants and other merchandising opportunities. (Though the pub next door, which I think they also run, does excellent food and drink) We also found it very noisy - there is a pub across the lane, the aircon is noisy, and our room was by a fire door which kept being slammed and a cleaners cupboard which was in use from about 7.30am. All in all, disappointing. Maybe the more expensive rooms are better.

Dear ‘wombat1972’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and in the first instance please accept my apologies for the disappointment received.

In terms of the rooms, we are planning to update over half the rooms in January and February with particular focus on our Comfortable Room category. I would always recommend upgrading to one of our other room types for additional space and luxury. I will speak to my Housekeeping team and Maintenance regarding the noise issues you encountered to overcome this for the future.

We do have the Cathedral Room on the first floor which when not in use is set up as a lounge for guests to relax in, alternatively there is the Champagne Bar but appreciate what you are saying.

If you do decide to come to Exeter feel free to contact me direct so I can best advise you on the room Type to suit your needs.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the champagne bar in 'Abode' - The Royal Clarence - opposite the Cathedral one Saturday afternoon. It was a last minute birthday treat while walking by to have a drink before moving onwards through Exeter.

I don't like to walk in to hotel bars when I am not staying at the hotel but my parents had had their wedding reception there many years ago so that was the particular motivation for a change in habit! The lady at the bar was very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble.

I initially asked if they had any beer on draft and they did not. She offered to go around to their sister pub (next door?) to get me a pint! We then decided it must be champagne and didn't want to be too much of an inconvenience in any case. We felt hungry so asked if there were any bread options. The same lady at the bar brought us two bowls of nuts immediately (without charge) and also offered to ask the restaurant if they could accommodate our bread request. These simple things were so considerate that I had to write even though we did not stay at the hotel.

The bar is small but comfortable and very welcoming.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear ‘SiJo2011’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is good to hear you received such excellent service from my Team in the Champagne Bar and will share your comments with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have just returned from a Saturday night stay. The main purpose of our visit is to see our son who is studying in Exeter. During the past 18 months we have stayed here many times, and have to say it just seems to get better.

The rooms are spacious, if you upgrade, the beds are comfortable and overall the hotel, we think is faultless. It is in a perfect position, being on the Cathedral green. The staff are always very courteous and cant do enough for you.

Nothing more to say other than would recommend this hotel to anyone.

If you venture to Exeter, dont miss out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear ‘jamesavfc’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, I’m so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Swindon, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I booked in for 2 nights whilst working in Exeter. After firstly struggling from the multi storey carpark ( 0.5 miles away) to the hotel, i went to my room to find that when i opened the window it was directly next to the kitchen fans and also plastered in pigeon faeces as was the window.
I set up to try and do some office work when loud music started blasting in from the pub next door.
I contacted reception to ask if i could be relocated because the noise from the bar and the fan was intolerable, I was informed that my only option would be to upgrade.
I managed one very long night with the kitchen fans starting up early the next day but decided I would rather commute 2.5hrs each way for the remainder of the week.
i explained the reason for leaving early and had no apology, just an "ok" and no movement on offering a refund for the second night.
DONT STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank msmith1306
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear ‘msmith1306’

Thank you for your review, in the very first instance please except my apologies for the disappointment received whilst staying with us.

Clearly the response you had from one of team is unacceptable and apology is the least I would expect. I regularly meet with our young Reception Team and will fully investigate your comments and ensure that future comments are dealt with in professional manner.

There is little I can do in terms of the car parking arrangements at this time, the closest car park with outside space and Multi story is Mary Arches, a short 5 minute walk (0.2miles) with the option dropping off your luggage with a 30 minute grace period.

Once again please except my apologies and If you do have a need to return to Exeter please contact me directly and I will personally ensure you have an enjoyable stay and compensated accordingly.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

After finding a room whose size suited us we settled in for our 3 night stay. Our 1st night was a Sunday and our dining experience was far from the best as most things on the menu were not available .
The rest of our stay was just perfect

Be aware basic graded rooms are very very small, maybe ok for overnighters but not if your stay is longer. We upgraded to the next band but it cost us more.
Breakfast each day was as good as any good hotel.
All in all, a lovely 3 days and we will be back for our 3rd visit next year.
The staff are all amazing and obviously have had training and love their jobs.

Room Tip: A room facing the Cathedral is a nice bonus
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘MargaretH679’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and will share your comments with our Team.

We would always recommend for longer stays choosing one of larger upgraded rooms many of which have fabulous views over Cathedral Green.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was here on buisness with colleagues. We had a conference meeting and stayed overnight.
Firstly the hotel staff were exceptional. You are greeted with a smile and they all speak English with an English accent and not pretend to put on a thick French accent as more and more hotels in England do these days. The conference rooms are unique, ours overlooked the courtyard and the Cathedral. The bedroom was small, no bath, but the shower was bigger than most. The bed was comfortable and they offer you unique little treats like fresh filter coffee in your room. There is a functional gym which you can access 24/7 with your hotel room key. I found this most convenient. The breakfast was not the biggest spread that I had faced but it was good quality. They bring you toast which makes a change from having to slowly stand and watch as you try and heat your own on those revolving toasters. I will definately come back here and would recommend as holiday hotel as well as business.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear ‘Sal N’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your Conference and stay with us. I will share your positive comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back.