“Lovely looking hotel, and great location. But expensive”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
“Lovely looking hotel, and great location. But expensive”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night 16th March 2013. Was fairly easy to find and is situated right in the centre of Exeter and directly opposite the Cathedral and only a few minutes walk to the HIgh Street shops and streets littered with bars and restaurants.

The reception staff were prompt and courteous with checking us in, although I did struggle to understand the girls English through her foreign accent....but that's probably more my hearing! :)

However, for the price of the room (#110) vs. the space it offered wasn't what I was expecting. It was very cramped and just had enough room for the double bed, very cramped for two adults with luggage. The room was clean and tidy, but again considering the room rate little things like the quality of the shower was very poor - it wasn't powerful enough for a thermostatic shower and far too hot no matter what temperature you selected; in fact the temperature knob actually off in my hand!

At breakfast the next morning we were greeted by a very friendly waitress who seated us straight away. We were given the choice of either the continental (cereal, pastries and fruits) or traditional cooked English breakfast, salmon or Eggs Benedict. But when asking whether I could have the full English and a bowl of cereal I was politely told that it would cost an extra £5 to choose items from both breakfast menus...which is a little steep in my opinion....would have been nice to have a full choice of all the breakfast items.

Sleep quality of the bed was okay, if a little soft for my own liking. Checkout was smooth and fast too so no complaints there. But doubt I would stop here again next time we're in Exeter, unless for a very special occasion and then I'd choose one of the suites as pound for pound they offer far better value for money (we had a look at room 108 suite as friends of ours were staying there too.)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback on your recent stay, I am glad to read you enjoyed the service while you were at the hotel.

I can confirm our entry level room category rooms our ‘’Comfortable’’ rooms are the similar in floor size to our competitors in Exeter and the quality of furniture & fittings is second to none.

I am constantly looking at ways to add value to our guests stay, we currently run a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast special for £99’s for example.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the ABode Hotel in the near future.

Denny Keane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've seen a few reviews complaining of noise all night from ?fans, and I had the same experience. I'm a deep sleeper and used to living on a residential London street, but I was up all night with noise from outside room 104. It may be fans, ?a laundry room. It was horrendous, variably rattling or churning, and I'm not impressed that the manager says on TripAdvisor he is only now 'investigating' after numerous complaints from residents.

I asked to be moved for a second night, and they said they had no more rooms at 'my rate' expecting me to pay for an upgrade for basic comforts. I had to be very direct and say I had packed my stuff and would like a new room, that they can organise it and I will be back later in the day. When I got back, they changed me to a much nicer quiet room but I felt I was treated with scepticism. They acted like this was the first complaint regarding noise when it clearly wasn't.

I wasn't impressed by the separation of hot/cold food on the breakfast menu either - with premiums on an already high breakfast cost. The waiter left me waiting for ages after telling me not to get food before he 'explained the menu'. I helped myself after five minutes waiting.

Good point is location but there are plenty of other hotels near centre of Exeter. Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: There are multiple problematic rooms but at the very least, don't say in 101-104
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AnonRater
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

I am disappointed to read about the noise related issue's you experienced, I can assure you that I take all feedback provided to the hotel in the most serious manner, share with the team and put in place changes to ensure we present the hotel in the best possible manner on every occasion.

I am happy to discuss your feedback with you personally if you would be kind enough to contact me at the hotel.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back into the hotel in the future to restore your faith in our property.

bristol uk
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited the Abode Exeter last weekend, it was a special occasion and we were not disappointed....much.
Our table was booked for 8 o'clock, we arrived about 7.40.
We wanted to go into the bar for a quick apertif before dinner, however we were ushered in to the restaurant quickly and shown to our table.
we didn't have time to object!
A waitress brought us a basket of bread which was homemade and lovely.
The meal was superb and the service excellent.
I didn't have any wine but my husband didn't have any complaints!
When the bill arrived i noticed that we had been charged for the bread.
Now i found that a very sneaky move as at no time did the waitress ask us if we wanted
the basket of bread, it was just placed on our table.
I also do not agree with the 15% service charge, when i see that i never leave a tip.
I am not mean because i would have probably given more than than that had i been left to make
up my own mind about whether the service had been good enough.

basket of bread

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, while I can see you enjoyed the majority of your stay I will highlight the shortfalls in service mentioned in your feedback with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, we do have a fantastic offer going at the moment which see’s Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for 2 for just £99.00.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was disappointed with the hotel. We booked "comfortable" rooms and I was amazed at how small they were. The bathroom was tiny with a miniature sink with a shelf directly above it making it difficult to use the sink effectively. The bathroom was very basic, not even a heated towel rail and the only mirror in the whole room was in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and large, but at the expense of having some leg room in the actual room itself! The view to the cathedral was beautiful. The TV was attached to the wall on a bracket (no other space for it!) and behind the TV was a power socket. It was the only power socket in the whole room. So to boil the kettle, dry my hair and charge my phone simultaneously was impossilble. There was also a grandfather clock in the hallway that chimes on the hour every hour which woke me throughout the night. Please turn the chime off!!!

No parking, which is a drawback - £9 to park overnight!

I think the hotel itself is just trading on the back of the fantastic restaurant. The food and the service were exactly what you'd expect for a michelin starred chef's restaurant and they didn't disappoint.
The only drawback with the restaurant was breakfast the next morning. The continental breakfast & cooked breakfast were on separate menus. So, for example if you wanted a bit of fresh fruit before your cooked breakfast you had to pay a £5 supplement to mix & match the menus, which felt very steep, especially as breakfast was £12 to start with!

Room Tip: I was in 110 - which is just down the hall from the chiming clock! Ask to be positioned away from t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank poolhousetravellers
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the ABode Exeter, I am disappointed to read we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, while we do have a grand father clock I can assure you the chimes you refer to our from the Exeter Cathedral. We do double glazing our rooms in a effort to minimise the noise but due to our proximity to the city centre and the Cathedral makes outside noise sometimes unavoidable.

I can confirm our entry level rooms the ‘’comfortable range’’ have the same or very similar square footage as our competitors, in saying this I can highly recommend upgrading as the above category’s contain roll top baths and increase square footage.

I would be happy to discuss your feedback with me directly; I am contactable at the hotel and welcome all feedback and opportunities to restore faith in our hotel when our service falls below expectation.

Chelmsford, UK
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed for one night in midweek, late Feb. Great location (opposite the lovely cathedral, near the shops), nice bar (but order your drinks when you check in as it takes about 20 minutes to get them), very good Abode/Michael Caine restaurant (my wife said her chocolate ice cream medley was the best she'd ever tasted, and she's eaten a lot of chocolate ice cream). So, all good.

The let-down was the room. We were put in 217 (I think) which was supposed to be a superior and was nicely decorated (but quite cramped, which is probably fair enough for an old hotel trying to fit in all the mod-cons), but it was right next to what we were told was the kitchen heat extractors(??). The noise was pretty awful. We went downstairs after we'd checked in and asked if the extractors made that racket all night and were told they didn't as they were switched off when the kitchen staff went home. It turned out that they weren't, as we spent the night in a pleasant room with a noise adjacent to it that was like a small aircraft taking off, which wasn't an aid to a restful night's sleep.

So, pretty good but choose your room carefully.

I'd give it a 3.5, with the potential to go to 4.5.

Room Tip: Stay away from the kitchens
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay, I am currently investigating the reason for the extractor fans being left overnight, I can inform you that it is hotel policy they are off by 11pm.

Please except my apology for this standard not being adhered to, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel as we do have fantastic rooms with amazing views.
Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our second visit to the Royal Clarence for lunch but this time to celebrate a special birthday and we were not disappointed. The staff here are incredibly friendly, polite , professional and helpful ... a real breath of fresh air in these days of lacklustre and mediocre customer care.

A great start to a lovely lunch.

The food here is VERY good.....beautiful quality , perfectly cooked , beautifully presented and delicious. Lovely touches like fresh home baked bread (absolutely delicious !!) and a selection of sweets and macaroons after dessert with coffee (with happy birthday piped in chocolate) all help to make this a truly "top notch" experience.

Great value as well at £19.50 for 3 courses....

Will we be going back ? Already booked !!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted to read your fantastic feedback, I look forward to having the oppurtunity to welcome you back to the ABode Exeter soon,

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

A really clean hotel with friendly service and great views overlooking the cathedral. Could not find any faults with the rooms, hence we will definitely be returning in the near future! We also dined in the Michael Caines restaurant on the second night. The food was superb, though the service was slightly inattentive at times. The waiter for some reason offered us the bill, despite us awaiting three more courses from the tasting menu!! Overall, it was a very good experience!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic feedback, I will ensure it is passed on to the team. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the ABode Exeter in the near future.