“Comfortable and convenient hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Exeter
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Comfortable and convenient hotel”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express for three weeks on business during December 2013 and found it to be convenient for access to the airport and not too far out of Exeter City. If you are visiting as a tourist you may want to be closer to the city. It is too far to walk from this hotel into the city.
The rooms are comfortable and clean. I had a double bed with sofa. Nice LED TV and plenty of channels to watch.
If you have not stayed in a HI Express before, note that there is a shower only. But having said that, my room was bigger than some Holiday Inn rooms I have stayed in elsewhere.
WiFi is free and is OK for email, but slows down with traffic in the evening making Skype a bit slow.
Breakfast is not very exciting and on every other day the croissants were stale.
The service at the reception desk is excellent.
If you want to be near the airport you could probably stay for a cheaper rate at the Hampton (Hilton) which is new and not at all busy but it is completely isolated.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Greek first
Seaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We just needed a cheap stay before a busy day -
The biggest draw was the price... It was significantly cheaper than others, and included breakfast, bonus!
Once we arrived, check-in was efficient and the room was clean.
The pub across the way is lovely and serves nice food, but it was busy in the bar area.
The mattress was way too hard, so uncomfortable that we hardly slept a wink (but strangely enough our little girl slept well!)
Woke up feeling groggy and tired, looking forward to breakfast... It wasn't what I'd hoped for. No direction from staff, it was a free for all. Items of food on offer were not replaced once they'd been used, when I came to get some breakfast, I had a choice of Beans or Croissant.

Overall, I'd not rule out staying again, purely on the cost basis.

Stayed December 2013
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed that you left our Hotel unhappy with your stay, as we do love to leave a positive, lasting impression on our guests.

Your comments regarding our Free Breakfast buffet and bed condition concern me and I would really like to know when you stayed with us to be able to discuss this with my team.
Please can I ask you contact me directly.

Many thanks
deputy@expressexeter.co.uk
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night recently as a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. Paid under £100 for 2 rooms including breakfast which I considered to be very reasonable. Hotel is very close to junction 29 of M5 and has a good pub next door. We had adjoining rooms with a connecting door. Room was good with a comfortable bed and a decent shower. Breakfast was fine but with a fairly limited selection, a mixture of hot and cold.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Martin W
lincoln
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I arrived at the Hotel at 18:20 to find that their car park was full and that several other drivers were waiting for someone to leave such that they could park. Given that I had been up for eleven hours and had driven many miles this was hardly a relaxing start to my stay.
Once I managed to park and get to reception the check-in process was efficient and my room was comfortable.
Breakfast was a bit grim, why use really really cheap bread. I toasted two slices but found it to be overly sweet hence did not eat, what a waste.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Functional room and basic breakfast.
This hotel has quite a budget feel to it- more a Travellodge than hotel. For the prices they charge it should really be better.
Great pub at the end of the car park for food and drink though.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience on Tripadvisor.
I am concerned that you find our Hotel ‘average’ and it would be great to hear your reasons on areas you feel we could improve on.

We are a limited service Hotel that offers a good night’s sleep, free breakfast, free WIFI and plenty of free car parking. Holiday Inn Express, is the sister brand of the full service Holiday Inn however our guest services team are always on hand to help or assist to meet our guests requirements and offer alternatives if we are unable to do so.
I am pleased you took advantage of our location which proves very popular with our guests as we are so close to the M5.

Kind Regards
Harwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Excellent Hotel easy to locate and convenient for M5, Exeter City and the South Devon Coast. Good parking facilities on a level site. Friendly and efficient staff made our stay a pleasure. Continental breakfast in hotel was very good.
Pub/Restaurant on site provided good reasonably priced meals in a friendly atmosphere.
Have stayed here before several times and the high standards have been maintained.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Midsomer Norton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here on the 30th of November 2013 for a charity event down the road.

The rooms are lovely, clean, modern and comfortable. We had a double bed and a fold out sofa. LCD TV with working free view, hair dryer which I wasn't expecting and coffee making facilitates.

You get free wifi codes.

I have no complaints about the room except the lack of plug sockets in convenient places. I.e there are no sockets by the bedside tables for charging phones and when I was getting ready for the charity event, despite having a full length mirror which was great, there were no sockets within an accessible distance for me to straighten my hair in front of the mirror.

This meant a little dance combo of me straightening my hair then jumping back in front of the mirror to see what other part needed straightening. Back n forth.

We needed an iron and ironing board which we were given to use free of charge.

My only issue was breakfast. The orange juice is really watered down, which is really disappointing when needing the fresh pick me up from the booze the night before. I see this is a common complaint and from just a brief look someone one dec 2012 stated the exact same issue but yet nothing has changed.

Breakfast is pretty poor, soggy scrambled egg which has no flavour. Sausages were fine but we're doused in white pepper. Don't expect to get mushrooms or bacon.

Cooked breakfast is just sausages, scrambled eggs and beans.

Room Tip: Visit the pub across the car park to see if their breakfast is any better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with the Holiday Inn Express Exeter on Tripadvisor.
It is great to read you enjoyed your night’s stay with us and you found our facilities met your expectations.
Our free Express Start breakfast was expanded a couple of years ago adding the items of Sausage, Scrambled egg and baked beans to our continental range. I am disappointed your experience was not a positive one; I can assure you we take all feedback from our guests constructively and check our products on a daily basis. I will be sharing your comments with the team to ensure the orange juice is checked more regularly throughout the service times to ensure it is not running low.
Following out guests’ feedback, we are currently purchasing extension leads for our bedrooms as we are aware the plug sockets are placed away from the mirror which can cause an inconvenience to our guests.
I am very pleased you had a good nights sleep and hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the very near future.
Kind Regards