“Formulaic but excellent”

Holiday Inn Express Exeter
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I prefer not to stay in these characterless modern sleep factories - but needs must and I must say that my the stay here was quite agreeable, everything was as it should be.

It's five years since I last stayed in this hotel, in that time more bedrooms have been added and the public areas reconfigured - the hotel is excellent in every way.

All the staff were friendly and helpful, the whole hotel was scrupulously clean and the food at breakfast very good - even hot food on offer from the buffet in the seperate servery.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms overlooking the "garden" are well away from the public areas
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

It is great to read such a positive review on our Hotel here in Exeter.

We appreciate all feedback from our guests and ensure all feedback is shared amoungst our team to continue to improve our product and customer service. I am particularly pleased you felt Holiday Inn Express, Exeter stood out from your visits to other Hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.

Kindest Regards
Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night on business - arriving late and departing early. It was functional and clean. There were a few problems I'd booked a double room but was allocated a twin and told there were no other rooms available; the door key didn't work and then the door didn't lock. A tad annoying, but to be fair, the staff were very friendly and incredibly efficient. This more than made up for any shortcomings. The hotel is a bit tired and probably in need of a refurb, but overall it was ok.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on our Hotel.

Firstly, I apologise of any inconvenience caused with your faulty door lock experience, I am pleased our team managed to assist you.

I also apologise you were not given a double bedded room when you arrived. When booking rooms guests can have the option of selecting a standard room, this room type is then allocated on arrival to any room type we have available. This may have been a possibility why the incorrect room type was assigned.

Our Hotel was fully refurbished in 2007 and we have a maintenance team in house who keep our Hotel maintained up to a high standard. I understand that when you enter the room the old-fashioned TV’s can make the rooms look dated. However I am pleased to say the Hotel is awaiting delivery of our 32” flat screen TV’s which will I hope you will agree will add to our contemporary decorated bedrooms.

I am very pleased our staff were friendly and efficient, we do pride ourselves in our customer service.

We hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Express, Exeter again in the enar future.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This hotel is easy to find (with sat nav) once you've negotiated the traffic on a busy roundabout, and the parking is plentiful and convenient. The receptionist was friendly and efficient and the room comfortable and adequately furnished. We were pleased that there was a stand alone shower. The public area is well appointed and comfortable.

We had dinner (very good) at the adjoining Barn Owl pub, which was most convenient. Breakfast in the hotel was an efficient buffet, setting us up well for our journey back to Cheshire.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

I very much appreciate you sharing your great experience with Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.

Thank you for your kind words towards our staff, I will be sure to share these comments.

We look forward to seeing you again at our Hotel.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

There are more modern Holiday Inn Express hotels elsewhere in the UK, but this one at least gave me a decent night's sleep and the usual HIE breakfast the next morning.

The TV is (shockingly) still a 20-odd inch CRT but the room is clean if a little tired.

Bed was nice and comfortable and the shower very hot :)

All in all, a decent hotel with friendly staff, in a convenient location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Firstly, thank you ever so much for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor we appreciate all contact with our guests.

I am sorry that you feel our bedrooms are not modern. Our Hotel was fully refurbished in 2007 and our maintenance and on site painter continue to maintain high levels of maintenance and décor. I would be curious to know which room it was you stayed in so I can investigate this further?

Our new TV’s are on their way to us as we speak which we are very excited to receive to compliment our bedrooms and guests experience.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I aggranged to meet a friend at the barn owl for coffee, however when we arrived at 11.30, we found it closed. We decided to walk over to the Holiday Inn Express where we were greeted with warm smiles from all the staff. Upon entering the building the reception area was immaculate and everybody was smart and approchable.
We decided to have coffee in the lounge area, the coffee was great quality, and most of all it was delivered with a smile, we were really made to feel welcome here.
My friend and I both had newborn babies, we were made to feel comfotable feeding them and the changing facilities were so clean and fresh.
We decided as the place was so nice, we would stay for lunch, so we ordered some sandwiches; my friend wanted a salad and although this was not on, the menu Wendy from the kitchen went through the fillings that were avalible for the day.
The food was great, but most of all the atmosphere was relaxed and calm, which is just what we needed with newborn babies!
The manager came to see if everything was ok with our food and drink and all of the staff were friendly and avalible to speak to us.
I really feel that on our short visit to the hotel, the staff went above and beyond our expectations.

Thank you to all the staff who made our visit such a great one.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here to break a trip down to Cornwall.

First impresions were pretty good, easy to find off the motorway, and near several business parks. There is a Pub next door. Reception looked good and the staff were welcoming. Breakfast was pretty good too.

The negatives were; the room was a little on the small side, the decor was uninspiring, and there was an old fashioned 14 inch TV in the room, not a small flat screen. I also had a room where the drains in the sink smelt so you always had to have the plug closed.

In summary, OK for one night, but if travelling this way again, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with our Hotel online.

The Hotel is very proud to ensure that the décor is kept in a fresh and up to date appearance.
With regards to your comment regarding our TV’s, as previously mentioned in other reviews, we are very excited to be receiving our 32” flat screen TV’s very soon for all of our bedrooms.
I do hope you took the opportunity of telling one of our Guest Services Team about the issues with your sink, as we would get this problem resolved immediately.

I am extremely pleased your impressions of the Hotel were positive and you were able to enjoy your visit to the Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.

We do hope we will welcome you again to the Hotel in the near future should your needs bring you to the area.

Kindest Regards
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Holiday Inn Express Exeter does exactly what it says on the tin and on this occasion even more. The room was warm, comfortable, well equiped and surprisingly spacious. If you want a really quiet room it may be best to avoid those with an adjoining room door.Parking is plentiful, safe and secure and enables guests to easily access the Jurassic coastline,Dartmoor and South Devon whilst a very regular bus service into the city centre can be found just a few yards across the road. Breakfast is plentiful,varied and more than adequate bearing in mind this is not a 4 star hotel. Free Independent newspapers are a nice extra touch, especially for the lone traveller. Although our long weekend was reduced to 2 nights because of heavy snow, the Exeter staff could not have been more helpful and obliging in making our stay comfortable and relaxing. Many thanks!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

It is so pleasing to read such a fantastic review on our Hotel here in Exeter and I am delighted to hear you managed to experience the local attractions.

It is great to hear you had a great experience with our staff, I will be sure to share your feedback with the team. We work hard at the Hotel to exceed all needs of our guests within our Guest Services Team and all feedback is extremely motivating.

I hope you had a safe journey home through the snow and we hope to see you again at Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.

Kind Regards