“what it says on the tin!!”
Review of Buffet City

Buffet City
Ranked #361 of 527 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
“what it says on the tin!!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

we dropped in on a saturday lunch time. it was very busy but didnt wait for seating or food replenishment. the staff where polite but no customer interaction. the food was very nice with a wide selection although the drinks where heavily overpriced. the desert selection was bright and cheerfull and our visit was finished off with an amusing rogues gallery on the way out...of the charming customers who walked without paying. will definitely visit again

2 Thank yammie1971

Exeter, United Kingdom
“It is what it is”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I went on one of the more expensive nights - it is what it is, the people with dodgy stomachs probably felt that way because its 'all you can eat' - what other restaurant do you go to where you eat 3+ plates of food?

As far as buffets go, there's a good selection of things - they are a bit greasy but then that's 'British Chinese' food. The venue is quite large and resembles somewhere between a cruise and a prison canteen, which is helped on by the eastern european 'waiters' who linger over your table like you've used the last of the soap.

If you want an 'all you can eat' why go anywhere else? if you want a traditional chinese meal, go to china.

Visited February 2013
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Ok if you're hungry”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We visited 2 weeks ago while staying with friends. I think it was about £12 per person and it was ok. Nothing really stands out as exceptional but there was a good choice and the food was topped up regularly. Leading up to 10pm though the top-ups stopped rather abruptly and the food started going a bit 'stale'. As I say, it was ok and I think the starters along with the king prawns were probably the best choice.
2 bottles of wine, 1 was pretty good and the other a bit rough it has to be said.

• Visited January 2013
“Go there loads and love it :)”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I love the food, it is such good value for money. Chinese food is one of my favorites and I think buffet city is the best place to have it in Exeter. Obviously it isn't in the same league as places in China town in London or some of the ace Chinese's I've had in Birmingham but I live in Exeter and its the best one here. Chicken Satay is ace and the dessert selection is surprisingly large for a chinese restaurant including a chocolate fountain and ice cream machine. My only two faults are bad service (but you get over that cause its a buffet so its only annoying getting drinks) and the tables are all ridiculously close together that you feel like your eating with the total strangers on the next table. For such a huge place its a shame they do that but its clearly for money reasons - more tables, more people eating, more money. Shame though. The waiters/waitresses move around so quickly and really hate making eye contact. They try to serve you for as little time as possible like its uncomfortable talking to you. It's near impossible to order another drink unless you run after someone and they are rarely friendly. It's actually the worst service I've ever had in a restaurant but the Chinese buffet down the road is the same thing so because I love the food, and the cost is good I just try and ignore the negatives. When there's little choice for Chinese food in Exeter and when you love the food just have to either not go or put up with it. The service doesn't ruin my mood, so I still love going with friends and family. I have never been charged for food waste either if you leave food, its only for people who stupidly pile their plate sky high to save the amount of times they go up and leave a lot of it. I would recommend going, I go with family and friends, and its great for big groups.

“Ludicrous child charging policy.7 year old classed as an adult.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Disapointing to have my seven year old classified as an adult because we are a tall family, there is nothing to her, but she was over the line and the manager deemed her an adult. After much argueing he knocked 20% off her meal. Funny the last time I went two months ago she was classed as a child. Been there many times, but is no longer a cheap quick option at lunch, we will not be going back.
Food ok for the money, drinks prices ok.
The above made a mockery of me cashing in my loyalty card for a free meal at the same time.....showing I was a loyal customer. Never mind there are plenty of other places to eat.