“Just ok!”
Review of Coal Grill & Bar

Coal Grill & Bar
Ranked #135 of 548 Restaurants in Exeter
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Everyone’s favourites, generously served fresh from the grill”Located prominently on the main piazza of Princesshay in the centre of the city. Coal features a Warm and Smart interior with a Busy cocktail bar and restaurant views of the local Exeter Cathedral. There is a Large outside seating area under heated and lit umbrellas.
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We went here on Friday afternoon for lunch and a couple of drinks. The food was overpriced and NOT of a great standard. Again drinks were overpriced but service was ok.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Sat outside in fantastic sunshine, with wine served at the correct temperature - something really missing from a lot of Exeter eateries! Shared three of the small plates and people watched whilst listening to live music, an excellent way to spend a few hours!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The food was ok. Good portion sizes but pricey. Its a shame that the Staff in this restaurant are rude and arrogant. The managers have no interest in the well being of the restaurant whatsoever and I assume they have no intentions to provide the service expected. In the whole time in which we were there I think we saw one member of staff smile. We were served by a man in a white shirt whom was only interested when a sale was involved. He made us feel very uneasy and was very pushy. Not something we wanted at all!
I would return if service standards improved as the location and essence of the place is nice.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My two friends and I visited on a weekday lunchtime, excited to try coal for the first time - I wish we hadn't bothered. I ordered a burger which was tough and incredibly gristly, I could hardly chew it and only ate about a quarter. My friend ordered a selection of tapas like small plates, all of which were greasy, tasteless, and covered in oil. However my other friend had a panini which she said was quite nice. On a more positive note, the wine selection was fab and my rosé was chilled to perfection. Would probably return for drinks/cocktails.

CoalCustomerService, Owner at Coal Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

We were very concerned to read your review and cannot understand why, if you
were genuinely unimpressed with your food, you simply didn't speak to your
Server or the Duty Manager? Our team are trained to make 'table check backs'
to ensure our guests are comfortable with their meals as this gives the
guest an opportunity to register any issues or problems at the time. We were
unaware of any issues or problems as we don;t recall to your speaking to
anyone at the time of your visit during or at the end of your meal. We have
no record of any refund being given which again is odd bearing in mind
guests who might be dissatisfied with any element of their meal would
normally one would have thought, have registered their disappointment at the
time of settling the bill?

Our burgers are hand-made from 100% beef by a family butcher based in
Bristol. Perhaps the chorizo appeared greasy as it is served in garlic
butter? All these important points could so easily have
butter? All these important points could so easily have been handled
constructively at the time of your visit had they been brought to our
attention

We'd be delighted to welcome you back at any time and would invite you to
call our Branch GM Matt ahead of any planned visit

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We had a family dinner and all the steaks Craw fish Avacado salad n chicken Schensel very great. The desserts Coal Mess n Chocolate fondue very nice too.

1  Thank Jaytee62