“If you are prepare to wait, food is delicious.”
Review of El Bocado

El Bocado
Ranked #56 of 548 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Independent Tapas Bar and Restaurant serving authentic Spanish food. We are passionate about remaining authentic importing our Spanish ingredients and using local suppliers where possible.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I booked a table last night. We came in at 8.30pm and had our order taken approximately 10-15 minutes later. The waitress was a bit wishy washy and after about 15 minutes came back to say that one of the tapas wasn't available, so we chose another one. She then came back about 30 minutes later to ask if we were okay and I have to say my husband was getting a bit frustrated, as our meal still had not arrived (we had nearly finished our bottle of wine). It was busy, but several tables had already had their tapas etc. We didn't receive a complimentary soup like the other people who have reviewed this site, so not sure if this was just for certain days. Unfortunately, my husband was quite hungry and was getting a bit frustrated that our meal was taking so long to come. He spoke to the waiter (I think it was the owner) and he explained to us that the meal was cooked from scratch and therefore, that was why it was taking so long and that most restaurants cooked from microwaves. My husband obviously wasn't happy about this, as this is not the case in a lot of restaurants and the meals don't take that long (we have taken meals at very nice restaurants which are well known and haven't waited so long). The owner did offer us some bread and olives to tied us over which we declined. The meal came at 9.30pm and I have to say, I very much enjoyed it. We ordered 8 tapas and this was plenty for us. We had to ask for some more bread for the aubergine dip as it only came with two slices which wasn't enough, and this was given to us with no problem. It was yummy. Would definitely return, however, would book a little earlier and maybe have some bread or appetizer as we would be better prepared next time. Would like to try the desserts also, but as it was so late after we finished, I was quite full and would have found it difficult to sleep without having enough time to digest. Will look forward to returning again though.

Don_Sp, Owner at El Bocado, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for your review - your feedback is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately when you visited us we had some delays with the food service. We do quite carefully stagger our bookings to ensure that food is served from the kitchen in a timely manner. We had a number of tables arrive later than the booking time which rather slowed down our food service.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in your food being served, and I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from visiting El Bocado again.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My first visit was a very pleasant experience and I enjoyed it overall.

I shared some Tapas with a friend and as I had starved all day I was hungry - we ordered 5 dishes which included a pototao dish and luckily my friend was not as hungry as I or we would have had to ordered more. At approximately £5.00 per dish it could be an expensive experience.

Quality very good, service very good and would go back again.

Don_Sp, Owner at El Bocado, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review.

We do usually recommend 3 tapas dishes per person, with tapas prices starting at £3.55. We are really pleased to read that you felt that the quality of the food and service were both good.

We look forward to welcoming you to El Bocado again soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The best authentic Spanish food we've had outside of the Picos, the paella was excellent and extremely filling. Best of all though, was the unexpected entertainment where half of the people in the restaurant started flamenco dancing mid way through the evening, very good it was too. We could have stayed all night, if it wasn't for our friends' babysitter only being booked until 10:30 p.m. A great night out, but not for those wanting a quiet evening.

The Sunday Roasters.

Don_Sp, Owner at El Bocado, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for your review - its very much appreciated.

We make all our desserts in our kitchen - and there are a few ones coming shortly. Hopefully we will be seeing you again at El Bocado to sample these as well.

Once again, thanks for your review.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I can never fault this place. The food, service and facilities are always fabulous. I have been here time and time again and I always enjoy it. The desserts are especially delicious and one of my favourites is the Tres leches sponge cake, it may sound simple but my god it is to die for! I would definitely recommend this place whether you are just popping in for lunch or heading out for a family evening. Top Notch!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Visit El Bocado after our trip to Barcelona just to recall our food experience, especially paella. We choose chicken-chorizo and sea food, and I have to say (for me and my family) it was actually better then straight from Spain. Very friendly staff. I did ask about the ingredients in the paella and most of them are spanish, the sea food is local. Definitely will be back.

Don_Sp, Manager at El Bocado, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

How great for us to read that our food compares so well with that in Barcelona!

We do use authentic Spanish ingredients for our Paella, as well as local seafood, both of which add to that traditional Spanish Paella taste.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we hope to see you again soon at El Bocado.