“A rare treat among traditional inns”
Review of Poachers Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exeter
Poachers Inn
Ranked #56 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Horsham, United Kingdom
“A rare treat among traditional inns”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I first staying at The Poachers some years ago on business trips, and still do so whenever I am able but have stopped there on short West Country breaks too. My idea of excellence is a warm, hospitable welcome, a variety of guest ales and traditional food served with some imaginative twists served on hot plates, locally sorced quality meat, eggs and vegetables.
Everyone talks to me as though I am a regular despit my visits being all too infrequent and all this in an unspoiled village pub with comfortable armchairs, and a log fire in the hearth in winter. The comfortable beds and modern TV in the guestrooms are just a bonus. The landlord, the pub dog and the guests are all 'dog friendly', another bonus. The Poachers ticks all the boxes for me except that it is not in the South East where I live.

Kevin

Room Tip: There are only three rooms, all traditionally furnished in cottage style. One has a four poster bed...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Betchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Great comfy country pub, must be doggie lovers though as we are - pub has resident dog and many that visit but we loved them. Food was excellent and considering 21 of us were eating nobody had a bad word to say about the food. We had the four poster bedroom which was comfy and homely, could do with more hot water though but that is my only gripe however it won't stop us coming back next year. Excellent full English breakfast and they also were happy to accommodate the fact I am wheat free.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Chiclana
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Went for a meal with our family who live in Ide and were treated appallingly. The food was terrible burnt and dry and we were given a lecture by the owner who obviously thinks he is Basily Fawlty in the making. Such a disappointing experience as the actual pub is very atmospherical. The landlord obviously thought we were just passing through and so had no interest in what was put on our plates. Sorry but my family live in the village and as it has a choice of another two pubs they will think twice about returning and obviously discussing their findings with other locals.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ziggyblue

Travelers are raving about these Exeter hotels

London
Reviewed June 7, 2011

In early May of this year my wife and I had the pleasure of spending a long weekend at the Poachers Inn, Ide. From the moment we arrived we could tell the staff were genuinley happy, friendly people who stayed focused on ensuring every aspect of our stay was as pleasurable as possible. The quality of accomadation was excellent with rooms cleaned by friendly staff regularly and the home made food is to die for! We cirtinly know where we'll be going for our anual winter break this year!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Nice enough b&b above a good village pub. In our relatively short stay we didnt have any problems, apart from the shower not giving hot water both times I used it (wife had lovely hot water just before me apparently!!) Evening meal was superb, breakfast ok.

• Stayed May 2011
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Traditional pub with 3 rooms. Bed very good, food good, shower fine once it warmed up. Carpets a bit threadbare and don't even think about coming here if you don't like dogs. I do so enjoyed making friends with the 2 who are resident and another 2 one of whom belonged to a barmaid, the other to a chef

• Stayed April 2011
London, UK
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The Poachers Inn Ide is shocking. Dirty rooms, dirty sheets, fleas, bugs or something that bites. Smelly carpets, no hot water and being locked out by the owners fo 90 mins at 1am on a cold morning. And all that for 75 quid a night.

• Stayed April 2011