“Good but noisy”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bristol
“Good but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Whilst attending a large conference at the hotel I stayed for one night. As part of the conference, I got a special price that was reasonable.

The hotel struck me as very clean and well maintained. It did not have its own parking, but you got a discount at a public car park that was just across the road. The hotel was located close to the city centre.

The breakfast and lunch that I had at the hotel were good and well organised.

I got free wireless internet from participating in the conference, and the signal was good in my room. There was also a wired option, but that seemed quite expensive.

The staff were fine, not exceptional, and at times a little disorganised, the member of staff at breakfast seemed very confused for some reason. Paying for my parking also seemed to take them by surprise, something to do with having previously checked out.

My room was small but adequate. The bathroom had no bath, just a shower, but it did seem well maintained. I found my room to be extremely warm, this was a chilly March evening, but if I opened the window, the noise from cars, people and the zebra crossing would have prevented any sleep. To compound the problem a baby in the next-door room was also having troubles sleeping.

If this review sounds negative it is not meant to be, overall I would say the hotel is clean and well run. With hindsight, I would have gone for a room towards the top of the hotel, away from some of the noise of the city centre.

Room Tip: Get up high to minimise the noise of the city centre.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Greek first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Jurys Exeter is a typical recently built hotel. A somewhat formulaic set up but done well enough. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The cost was quite reasonable. We were comfortable and enjoyed our stay. Jurys met our needs.

• Stayed February 2013
Somewhere in the Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Thing about the Jury's Inn is that it does everything just well enough.

The rooms are OK, the location is OK, the staff are good, but you are not staying there because it is the Jury's Inn. You are staying there because of the price.

Personally, if I were booking enough in advance, I'd take advantage of the fact advance bookings at the Mercure Southgate are only a little bit more expensive, as it's five minutes closer to the centre and a nicer hotel.

But, outside of the no-cancel advance booking option, I'd go to the Jury's Inn again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stay here whenever I am on business in Exeter and am appalled at the £4.00 tray charge whenever you order room service. I would be happy to pay it if the money or a percentage of it goes to the staff, but I was informed by team members that they do not receive a penny and that it goes to the company. By adding a tray charge it deters customers (including me) from leaving a tip, which is essential in supplementing the wages of the staff who work at the hotel. I am sure the hotel General Manager will say that the tray charge is to deter customers from ringing down and ordering an ice bucket or a knife and fork, to then consume their own food and beverages in the room, but at least reward the staff who are doing the work!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel was ok for what we needed. Rooms and communal areas very clean. The staff seemed very friendly and helpful. Rooms where basic but that’s what we expected for the price we paid. We would stay here again if we needed a budget crash pad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Binfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise after a very long day at work. Knowing that I had an early start the next day I booked the Jurys Inn for its central location and easy access parking. Both ideal. The hotel seamed fresh and new and my room was very clean, comfortable and with all amenities. It was also nice and quiet, always a plus when away on business. On the downside my evening meal (room service) was poor. The fish starter was inedible and the sauce on my steak felt synthetic. The staff were very friendly and check in and out was nice and quick. All in all a good business hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was our second trip to this new modern hotel and on both occasions it did what it was supposed to do, provide a good nights sleep in a central city location.
The rates for this hotel are reasonable and the breakfast is very good although on this visit it was charged extra. One tip on this point is the breakfast is cheaper if you book it on check in rather than when you arrive at the dining room. This hotel does not have a car park but there is plenty of parking nearby. We arrived by train to St David's station and the taxi fare was less than £5.
One irritatiing point is Jury's insistence on charging for WiFi. This service is not exactly expensive to provide and is essential to me to keep tabs on my business so rather than spend time in Jury's own bar and paying for their Wifi I went elsewhere where the service was free and spent my money elsewhere on beer and food.
I will return and hopefully Jury's will think again about this penny pinching policy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple