“Made to feel like a burdon on the staff!”
Review of Harry's Grill Bar - CLOSED

Harry's Grill Bar
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In an unassuming red brick building on Northernhay Place you'll find Harry's Grill Bar. Head inside and you'll find a hugely stylish little spot with exposed barn-like beams and funky red walls. Pull up a seat or slide in to one of the massive high backed booths and enjoy the laid back atmosphere. Once you've soaked in the vibes you'll be ready to turn your attentions to a menu that requires your full concentrations...Totally local produce with an emphasis on gorgeous Devon reared beef. Other options are available, from fish to veggie dishes but the meat eaters among you won't be able to resist cooked to order steaks steaming hot from the grill.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Made to feel like a burdon on the staff!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I had heard great reviews about this place but it really didn't meet, or come anywhere close, to expectations. On arrival I was shown up to my table &, even though I'd booked in advance for 1, it was set for 2. Had they expected me to pick up some cheap date on my way over? I was promptly shown the menu & order a bottle of wine; quite a tasty Chablis. On ordering my rib-eye medium-rare I was told they recommend it to be cooked more than that? Really??? If I'd wanted it more than that I would have asked for it; I've been eating steak for long enough now that I know how I like it cooked. No less that 5 minutes later my steak arrived...even that's a miracle for a medium-rare,which leads me to question how/when the steaks are cooked/held. To give full credit,it did arrive medium-rare & it was entirely delicious. If I could offer one piece of valuable advice, please do not tell customers how they want their food cooked; it'll leave an extremely bad taste in their mouth!

• Visited August 2013
HarrysExeter, Manager at Harry's Grill Bar, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We are sorry that you feel this as we had thought it might be interesting for our customers to gain our chefs perspective of the meat and cooking suggestions. You are of course fully entitled to have your steak cooked however you prefer and we are so glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for your feedback.

• Greek first
dartmouth devon
“Bring back the lamb”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

My favourite resturant never dissapointed in the food always great . Am missing my favourite lamb dish please please bring it back soon .

• Visited August 2013
Thank you, will pass on the message to the chef!
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Amazing steaks we all had steaks a party of 8 and every sreak was cooked to perfection. I had the fillet m/r just melted in my mouth.waiter was very friendly and attentive,fhe restaurant was very busy and had a real buzz to it.will return again made our nite!

• Visited August 2013
HarrysExeter, Manager at Harry's Grill Bar, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
It’s great to get feedback and to know how much you enjoyed your meal. Thank you very much!
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A Birthday Treat”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The service at Harry' Grill was excellent; the starter of scallops was really tasty & the Chateaubriand was cooked to perfection, but those chips! Triple cooked equated to over-cooked, almost impossible to pick up with a fork, we noticed that most diners left some on their plates. A real shame, as it marred the overall experience. If we visit again we will certainly opt for an alternative side dish.

• Visited August 2013
Happy Birthday! Thank you for choosing us as your celebration. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your scallops and Chateaubriand, your feedback is very important to us as it helps us improve our customer experience.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good service but food not so good!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My first meal at this restaurant and I was deeply disappointed. The service I have no complaint with, staff were friendly and very efficient. My starter of mussels were very tasty but the fillet steak was medium to well done and I had asked for medium to rare and i was very specific about this. The chips ( which were quite obviously frozen chips) served with it were overcooked and most were so crispy they could not be eaten. The salad was a lump of watercress chucked on top the steak! Cost £22.00, then the Bearnese sauce , which was tasty, was another £2 on top. In total, £24.00 for a fillet steak with no veg no salad, extortionate! I can only compare this price to that charged by The Jack in The Green and they charge £22.95 for a steak, cooked to perfection with home-made chips and full salad, no extras and of excellent quality! I don't mind paying for good food but this was not what I expected from a restaurant that prides itself on its range of steaks.
It was a busy evening but the waiting staff were very good, I think the chef was under some pressure though! Such a shame!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Burgoynes
HarrysExeter, Manager at Harry's Grill Bar, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, it is very important to us.
We do agree that The Jack in the Green is a great gastropub that also offers high quality meals from carefully sourced ingredients but of course it is not in Exeter city center.
We are very disappointed to hear that your steak was not served correctly; our waiting staff would have happily exchanged your steak. Please do email us directly magda@harrysgrillbar.co.uk as we would really like the chance to respond to you personally.