“Poor service from the bar”
Review of Blue Ball Inn

Blue Ball Inn
Ranked #10 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We come here quite regularly for lunch and in general we like the food and service. However, today the service was very slow with only one person serving (we were told that this was due to a party of 13 that had pre-booked). This is a pub that could serve a very large number of guests so I do not believe that is a valid excluse (plus they had 'pre booked'- what is there to do other than put the food out). Normally there are two or three people at the bar and we can get service relatively quickly.

Next I ordered from the 'daily specials' to be told that they had run out (at 12.20!) - not really a 'daily special' then is it.

Remember who your customers are - we have a choice to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Clarker63

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Blue Ball Inn - when you find it in St Mary Clyst and NOT Sandygate - is a real value for money find. The welcome was warm and friendly, and Giles went out of his way to make sure we we were settled comfortably. For £60 for a triple room, and although the room was small and the third single bed mattress could have done with replacing, this was a good stay and we all slept well. The evening meal was excellent - all ingredients are locally sourced and the steaks, the rocket salad and the squid were excellent and beautifully cooked. The shower door did not close perfectly and the room overlooked the back yard and the carpark, but we have no major complaints and would recommend this inn without hesitation.

Room Tip: Excellent value for money
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having read recent reviews must before arriving, I was slightly worried, when we were given the key to Room 3. In fact it was better than expected. Yes, the room is small, and the motorway could be heard through the open window, but as an overnight stop two minutes from the M5, it was good value for money. Biscuits were provided with tea/coffee, something we don't always in budget chain hotels. Shower was powerful and the bathroom was clean. All in all therefore, better than expected

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed with my daughter from 5th July to 8th July as attending family wedding. The main lights failed to work, daughter banged her leg on bed, resulting in huge bruise on her leg, looking for another light. On Saturday morning getting ready for the wedding, hair dryer not working, requested replacement from staff, informed didn't keep spares and they would notify maintenance. Explained that going to wedding and after a lot of waiting told that could use recently vacated room. Not pleasant surroundings, hairdryer situated in bathroom, wet & soiled towels on floor, room not fresh. Due to time delay my daughter had to go to wedding with wet hair!! Our bathroom had tiles which had grouting missing therefore rough edges and one tiled was cracked across with sharp edges protruding. There had been a leak in the vanity unit and the cupboard was unusable due to it being water stained and wood beginning to rot. There was a dangerous height difference between bedroom floor and bathroom. Our room did not have a window only a velux sky light which you had to use a 6' pole to open and close it with.
The continental breakfast was a variety pack box of cereal and semi burnt toast. The nearest I got to the 'continent' was the packet of Alpine muesli!!
Despite complaining on Saturday there was no real response from staff. On Sunday I spoke with Giles the duty manager and showed him the problems in the room. He stated that he would contact the owners and request a partial or full refund. The owners' response was that my daughter and I could return at a later date and have 2 nights free - hardly think so!! or a refund for 1 night. I requested a 50% refund and Giles informed me that if I didn't hear back from him that evening it had been agreed. The following Tuesday I received a phone call from Giles to inform me that the owners had refused my request and he had therefore credited my bank account with 1 night refund. My response was that he had no right to do this. The health & safety issues have been reported to East Devon Environmental Health, all matters have been reported to East Devon Tourist information and lack of facilities have been reported to East Devon Trading Standards. According to the tourist information The Blue Ball Inn is not registered with them so is not inspected and approved by them. This is an important point for people to note because there is nowhere really to address general complaints as the owners are not on site and obviously from my experience not interested in customer satisfaction, just money!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Popped in to the Blue Ball on the way home from camping. Menu was limited as it was a Sunday. My daughter asked for a smaller portion and was told that this was not possible (this was with the other choices), yet there was a sign to say all food cooked to order!!!. It then arrived with nachos etc missing (when we asked, they kindly deducted it from the bill). Other food ordered was very tasty but........ there just seemed to be "enough" on the plates. Squid was tasty but a very small handful of rocket. Mussels just came with a slice of bread, and scallops just a cup of rice. All tasted very nice, but it lacked those "extra touches". Lovely glass of wine though

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night last week, firstly our booking through booking.com hadn't reached the Inn, fortunately there was one room available and staff made every effort to make us comfortable. Very friendly pub and customers so we had a good night. Very close to M5 so quite a bit of traffic noise as we needed windows open because it was so hot! Good value for money overall.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Good ~ Arrived 7th June for 1 night stay. Food in pub was good and the service provided by Giles and a young waitress was friendly and informative.

The Not so Good ~ The location of this Inn is very close to the M5 so on a warm summer night when it's necessary to have the velux window open, expect a constant drone of traffic.

The Bad ~ Room 3 which is advertised as a double, is not much bigger than a single, the toilet was leaking from the moment we arrived (only solution was for Giles to put towels around the bottom to try and soak it up - this didn't work and by Saturday the bathroom floor was sodden!), the bed creaked every time one of us moved, the shower head is filthy and there is what appears to be a 'dumping ground' for old paint pots, pieces of wood, crates etc immediately outside the bathroom window. As advised to do so by Emily on Saturday morning, my wife has emailed Steve the owner with our comments along with photos, but 3 days later and still no response, so hoping this will prompt one from him? Have attached photos of the points raised. We will not use this accommodation again and nor would we recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank johnboyHollywoodUk
Innkeeperdevon, Owner at Blue Ball Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Inn.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your meals with us but dismayed to read the list of issues you raise.
I will address those in your point order.
Our location is of benefit to most travellers being just off junction 30 of the M5 however I completely take on board you comment regarding traffic noise on a warm evening with the window open . With that in mind we have ordered fans and each room will now have that option.
The plumbing issue is I am afraid something that can happen to anyone at anytime. Unfortunately as we were full we did not have an alternative room to switch you into .
The shower head is an unforgivable blunder and housekeeping have been made fully aware of the importance of ensuring this does not happen again.
With regard to the rubbish outside your window. We were in the process of resurfacing the floor in one of the adjacent store rooms and for some unfathomable reason it was decided to carelessly move it into the rear yard, obviously forgetting to take into consideration your view. That is a service yard and can at times be untidy , so to avoid a repeat of this we are erecting a trellis to shield the yard from view.
Lastly we have not received an email from you and would have replied promptly if we had. I can only guess that technology played its part in that.
I telephoned and spoke with your Mother yesterday and hopefully put our case and reached a satisfactory conclusion to this unfortunate run of events. I am pleased you enjoyed your holiday to the Scillies and hope if you pass in our direction again you will consider us as a stop over point.