“Great atmosphere”

Ranked #35 of 548 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Good selection of well kept beers
Also an excellent selection of malt whiskey all in all an excellent pub

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was our 6th or 7th meal at the Fat Pig in the past 2 years. It has been on our (sadly short) list of places we're happy to eat in since we moved to Exeter, but it is not one of our common haunts because of the high prices and the fact that the acoustics make for a very noisy atmosphere when it fills up.

The prices are on the high side for what is basically good pub grub - the sort of place that you keep tripping over in big cities but is quite rare in a small town like Exeter. Decent restaurants and pubs in Exeter are few and far between, and the lack of competition seems to push prices up.

We went here on a weekend night for a meal, having booked a table. The half pint of prawns was possibly the blandest half pint of prawns we've ever tasted. I'm not sure how they managed to find prawns that tasted of so little. They were small and insipid and unseasoned. The other starters - rillettes and terrines - were tasty, but insubstantial.

Two of the mains were ok - we all had pork dishes - but the pork chop was a big disappointment. It had clearly been overcooked from looking at it and sure enough it was dry and tough. That is a sad end for a hopefully happy free range pig. The chef should not have allowed it to be served. The barmaid whisked it away, saying we didn't need to explain what was wrong. But surely that was exactly what we needed to do?! If the chef didn't know the chop was overcooked, someone needed to tell him! We were quite surprised by the barmaid's reaction, as if they all knew it was overcooked but they had hoped we wouldn't say anything. How many other overcooked chops had left the kitchen that evening? Do people simply chow down their food in silence? The dish was replaced with sausages and mash which was fine. The other pork dish, faggots, was also tasty. But producing 2 edible mains out of 3 is not acceptable.

There was another thing. The vegetables - bits of broccoli and things - were barely cooked to the point that they were crunchy and stringy. We had braced ourselves for this, having been before, but our family members had not. 'That's the way we cook them', said the barmaid. Er..right. And what about the customers? Do they get a say? Apparently not. Yes, vegetables should have a bit of bite to them in my book, but they shouldn't require sawing with a knife.

We didn't bother with desserts.

Overall, the Fat Pig is capable of producing decent enough dishes. In Exeter, that is rare enough in itself. But its prices are just a little over the top for regular eating. I don't normally review restaurants, but sometimes I need to share experiences, good or bad! In Exeter we must take what we are given and we will probably visit again, but we won't be taking friends or family here again out of fear that they will be left disappointed.

2  Thank Chris D
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I can’t believe how good the food is here. A real backstreet boozer with high end restaurant chef. The food is simple, traditional British classics done oh so well. The quality of the produce s fantastic. I don’t think I’ve ever had pork that tasted so good.

I’ve eaten here several times and never been disappointed. Even when eating with a large group, the food has been served timely and at a very high standard, which you don’t always get when you order in large numbers.

The drinks are a little on the pricey side but the food is value for money. I’d almost suggest the position sizes can be too big but I always manage to leave a clean plate. The gravy’s that accompany many of the pork dishes are stupendous. I really can’t praise this place enough.

If you want a comfortable pub with music and cushions, this is not the pace for you. This is a proper old fashioned pub with benches and stools. Lost of wood and a coal fire in the winter.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've being going to the Fat Pig since the day it opened, the welcome is always friendly, the beer and wine excellent and the selection of food on the menu is not vast but you know whatever you choose will be local, well prepared and cooked and those three thing all add to a brilliant taste in your mouth
If you what a choice that is different from the run of the mill standard "Pub Grub" , The Fat Pig is the place to eat

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My only regret is that living in Plymouth I had to drive home and could not enter into the spirit of what is a very laid back drinking place with more than acceptable food. Been twice once midweek and the other a Saturday. On each occasion the place had a friendly convivial feel and we would have liked to stay much longer.