“Great food great beer”

Ranked #52 of 562 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

For starters don't believe all the negative reviews I had the sausages and mash and it was lovely and I struggled to finish it we also had a lovely bread board and the beer was great to be honest the price i thought was fair i have eaten in more expensive places in Exeter and the food was much less. Me and my boyfriend go to the Fat Pig all the time you always get friendly service and a good conversation with the staff though it does get very busy quickly there so I would book a table just to sit and have a drink!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

It was our third visit to the pub, but our first to eat. We came back because it is a great place to drink in. Good real ale and a fine selection of rare bourbons and whiskeys behind the bar with knowledgeable and friendly staff. And we got talking to some great customers too. So we headed straight there on this visit to Exeter but were stymied because, if my memory serves me well, it does not open till 5pm weekdays. I personally think you are missing a trick there. You are a bloody good pub, so even if you don't want the staff costs of a lunchtime menu, at least stick someone behind the bar, as i think it would pay for itself over time and then open the kitchen at 5pm.
The food we saw go out looked good in the evening but we had booked for Sunday Lunch. At £10 per head you could not complain. Although actually it did not look as good as the food we had seen go out in the evening! If you are going to roast potatoes, it is not so hard to rough them up a bit and roast them properly, and in my opinion the beef could have been offered a lot rarer than it was.
But as for offering a gem of a pub, with a good food offering, a world away from the high street chains with a lot of character and blinding staff I reckon you are doing a fine fine job. We will be back, maybe one day at lunchtime?

1  Thank lobstermadboy
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Gastro pub in the best way. Plainly furnished and scrummy food. Try Pistou or Exmouth cockles in lemon herb butter. Good beer and wines. Nice, intelligent staff, keen to help you. Also run the Rusty Bike.

1  Thank embleton07
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Never write reviews but thought I had too after the lunch I had at the Fat Pig. The place itself looks nice and welcoming but that is where it ends. The menu is limited....not that is a real issue but the choice was poor!! Cottage pie in the summer?? i had a meat platter and at £13 I was expecting a little bit more than a few different selections of meat and some salad leaves....presentation was nice though! Worst bit was not until I got home I looked at the receipt £3.80 for a HALF of beer...surely an error,never mind...but my pint of orange and lemonade ....£1.70 for lemonade £1.90 for the orange £3.60 for a pint of orange with a splash of lemonade wow! was disappointed. Would not recommend the fat pig ....so many nicer places to eat in and around Exeter. Shame.

3  Thank Samj1
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

I would like to begin my response to your review of eating at The Fat Pig, by expressing my concern that you did not enjoy the experience. Naturally, this worries me, and not just because we were not open on the 5th of July and, are in fact, only open for lunch at the weekends.

With regard to our menu, taking in to consideration the weather and it having been the wettest 3 month period since records began, we are providing the comfort food that our customers desire when escaping the rain. Hence having Cottage Pie on the menu in the summer!

You referred to the cost of our charcuterie plate, which in English translates as a plate of cured meats. We are passionate about the process of curing the cuts of meat, all of which are made from rare breed animals, either raised at our own farm or by friends of ours around Exeter. The cost of the the dish, reflects that of the effort and commitment it takes to raise, slaughter and carry out the long and expensive process of curing the cuts. It takes 6 months to cure ham, coppa, 1 month, bresaola, 6 weeks...and so on. This is why it costs more than a selection of anti pasti meats from Sainsburys.

Our selection of dishes have rarely varied in size. We provide 6 starters and 6 main courses. We do not desire to provide an extensive selection of meals based on frozen, sous vide and microwaved meals, delivered in big vans, which you can take advantage of in more corporate chain eateries in Exeter.

To round this all off you want to complain about what your drinks cost. I seriously doubt you were charged £3.80 for a half , unless the computerised till is malfunctioning, and if you were , and it was, I apologise and please allow me to refund your drink for you . As regards soft drink prices, I hardly think we vary from a consistent average across the city and our lemonade comes in traditional glass bottles and not out of a pipe.

It staggers me that you were unable to raise any of your concerns at the time, where they may have been addressed to your satisfaction.

Thank you for your custom , I look forward to refunding you that overcharged drink on the production of a valid receipt. Terms and conditions apply . The fat pig ltd can not be held responsible for the state of education in the uk and it's protectorates.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

nice atmosphere and good food intimate in central location