“The worst eating out experience of my lifetime!”
Review of Rabbit Vegan Cafe - CLOSED

Rabbit Vegan Cafe
Description: Rabbit is proud to have been the first cafe in Exeter with a 100% plant based menu. Since 2016 we have been serving freshly prepared breakfasts, lunches, soup and desserts. We make our own seitan, burgers, Southern fried chickun, cheezes and in-house sauces. We have Zapatista coffee and a wide range of organic teas, plus lots of delicious homemade cakes. Rabbit is also the site of the recently uncovered remains of the ancient holy well of St Sidwell. The holy well is said to mark where the ‘virtuous maiden’ St Sidwell, an Anglo-Saxon saint who gave her name to this part of the city, was cut down by haymakers’ scythes. Legend says a spring burst forth where she fell, and it then became a place of pilgrimage throughout the medieval period. Come and make a wish! We donate all proceeds from the well to Special Needs Older Rabbits Sanctuary (SNORS). We also have an amazing mural decorating our walls painted by the talented folks at WallsRus.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I wrote three emails to the cafe back in August 18, 2019. Nobody got back to me since! So here is the review.

My husband and I visited your cafe for lunch today. We had a bad experience.

We prepaid for two specials - cake and salad that came with the soup of the day. After we paid and waited at the table for at least 50 min, the waitress told us that you ran out of soup. She asked us to substitute soup for another item. We selected ALT and BLT sandwich. After we were ready for a salad that we prepaid for and supposedly came with the soup, we were denied the salad. The waitress told us that we cannot get the salad because we already had the sandwich. Never mind that we prepaid for the salad with the soup as a lunch special! We think waitress's behavior was inappropriate and know that she acted under guidance from the kitchen owner who was hiding in the kitchen and never came out to ease the situation.

To contrast, we often eat in Herbies but never had such a poor dining experience there. We wanted to try something different, and we came to Rabbit. We were very disappointed after having Sunday lunch in your cafe. The lunch was supposed to be a relaxing experience. Instead I am typing this complaint about poor customer service. In Herbies, the waitress is always sweet and caring. The waitresses there go out of their way to make sure customers leave happy. Herbies' deserts are presented much nicer, and since we started dining with them, they never ran out out of what we ordered. In Herbies, you pay when you leave and NOT BEFORE YOU EAT. You (Rabbit) charged us before even the food was brought to the table. I guess you charge ahead because your 'food' sucks so bad. It was wrong for you to collect money ahead of time, have my husband and I wait at least an hour and then tell us that we cannot have the soup because you ran out and deny us the salad we prepaid for! You are bunch of crooks. I never had a restaurant deny me a salad, the healthiest part of the meal. I cannot believe that you refused us the salad that we prepaid! I have never been to a restaurant where I have to prepay. That's why you no longer try because you collect money ahead of time so it does not matter how the food tastes.

I also ordered plain hot chocolate but the chocolate arrived cold. So why is it then called hot chocolate? In Herbies, their vegan hot chocolate tastes delicious and yours tasted bitter. It did not have a culinary flavor that one expects from a cafe.

Overall, my husband and I were disappointed about your poor customer service, terribly tasting vegan hot chocolate, paying ahead for food that never came to the table, denying us the food that we paid for, such as the soup and salad. You ran out of food because your food is not cooked on premises but is all premade and transported to you!

We will not be coming back to your restaurant again.

Also, the dishes were not cleared throughout our time there. We pushed them to the right side of the table but the waitress did not even notice. There was a pile of dishes on the tables against the wall. The place looked like a mess!

Also, the waitress and the girl at the tilt did not say the simple and effective words: hello, thank you and good bye. Your staff has zero customer service skills. You don't even have a decency to return my emails and to answer the negative reviews on this website. You don't care about the customer!

Date of visit: August 2019

Reviewed January 5, 2020

Now this place isn't bad but I wouldn't go there for a special occasion. the food is nice enough, but not fresh or handmade as such, you can tell that much of it is bought in. The staff didn't seem particularly engaged. There was a great display of puddings which were nice.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank TabiMJ
ChrisB13662, Owner at Rabbit Vegan Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 days ago

Not that it matters now as we are closed, but as a matter of personal pride, practically everything on our menu was handmade by us from scratch, including the soya beef-style burgers, seitan chickun burgers, coney island chilli, cheeze sauce for our mac & cheeze, mayo, other sauces, salad dressings, pickles and all the tortes and cheezecakes.

Reviewed December 9, 2019

Pleasant staff member who served us, Sunday lunch shift, but one strong request - as well as having (GF) against menu items could it should also say (nuts) - much clearer and easier to recognise - and in keeping with menu layouts generally.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 18, 2019

Had a wonderful vegan breakfast, helpful friendly staff, lovely place, amazing cakes! The breakfast bagel was awesome!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 6, 2019

I loved the food, the choice, the pleasant service, and the decor I’m looking forward to my next visit to Exeter and lunch at Rabbit.

Date of visit: October 2019