“Hidden gem.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exeter
Melbury Guest House
Ranked #52 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem.”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

It's is the second time we have stayed at this guest house and I must say it is just perfect, the owners are lovely and the rooms are fantastic, we had the great fortune to stay in the lodge with its own hot tub, the breakfast in the morning is superb would recommend this place to one and all definitely a hidden gem in Exeter.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

'Stayed in Garden Lodge for one night. Worth paying extra to get hot tub and privacy. Would have been nice to have toiletries available for the shower. Made very well come by staff. Good breakfast. Would stay here again when in the area again. '

Room Tip: Choose the Garden Room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Graham1309
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

When I say simple, this is no reflection on the quality of the guest house, it is a compliment to the fact that it is not complicated, because far too many make it a complicated business to run an efficient Guest House.
I stayed in room 3 on the first floor with an en-suite shower & sink, with the toilet next door being for my sole use.
The room was very clean with tea & coffee making facilities and a flat screen TV.
When I arrived I parked my car right outside, popped into reception and collected my car park pass (£2) and placed it on my dashboard.
I was shown to my room and given a breakfast menu to make my choices for the next morning.
There were juices, cereal, white or brown toast, fresh fruit, sausage, smoked bacon and also scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, which I had and it was a lovely change.
I must admit on arrival I did think that the whole Queens Crescent looked dreary and uninviting, but don't let this put you off, because the inside is quite grand.
The only niggle that I had was that I could not get any hot water out of the sink tap, no matter how long I ran it for, the shower was fine, but for some reason the hot tap on sink only produced cold water, I should have mentioned it to Graham or Leon, but when i went out to eat in the evening, I could not see them and forgot to mention it in the morning and being a minor niggle it didn't bother me anyway, plenty of hot water in kettle for shave.
Thank you Graham & Leon, for providing exactly what I expect, a good clean Guest House, comfortable & clean bed and a great choice for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 1davo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

'Nice people, very helpful and kind. Guest house has an eclectic interior style, but it's comfortable, cool,and welcoming. The room was cute and comfortable, and above all very clean. Nice touch with the logo'd linen, (and d/gown). High quality toiletries and a really great breakfast. Pricing is locally comparable. Altogether a lovely experience, and I'll be back.'

Room Tip: Small single top floor without bath. Shared adjacent shower/w/c next door. Don't be put off. V c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked this as a night off from the children and it was definitely a good choice. We arrived a little early to check in, but were made very welcome and all staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Garden Lodge - completely separate from the main house so it felt very private. The lodge itself was lovely; clean and very comfortable and the hot tub made our night away that bit more luxurious We thoroughly enjoyed our little break from reality and hope to return soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ali W
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for two nights at the Melbury Guest House on our way through to Cornwall and had the Lodge. The welcome was friendly, the breakfast good and the location ideal. The hot tub, which came with the lodge, was fabulous and the private feel of the lodge area was great. I would recommend the Melbury even though I agree that "luxury executive accomodation" is over stating the point slightly.

Room Tip: The Lodge is by far the most private
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Divyesh T
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed for a weekend break. The Melbury is really convenient for the centre of the city, and staff were friendly and helpful. However, the room I had (single top floor) was scruffy and grubby, and the cleanliness of the bedding was suspect. The shower (shared) gacve 3 minutes hot water the first night, trivckled to nothing, came back cold, trickled away again.... Fine the second night, but by that time I was jaded with this "luxury executive" accommodation. It might have been the usual "single room syndrome" but in my opinion, the place does not merit the self-styled "luxury executive" label, and is grossly over-priced. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank MsF0
melbury247, Owner at Melbury Guest House, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
The Guest review is about are single room which is advertised with a shared bathroom, shared with one other room, so i don't understand why she has put shared in brackets. We have checked the shower, and there is nothing wrong with it, and no other guest has complaned, they in fact love our showers, i can only assume she did not know how to control it. The guest paid £48 per night 20% is vat which inclueds a Full English breakfast, and a help you self section, all cooked fresh to order, each room has luxury toleties,and a well stocked tea tray with snacks warter, all compementry. A lot of places are stopping this. fresh towels linen & bathrobes which are contracted out to be cleaned, so no bed linen should be, as the guest put it, suspect. I had a conversation with this guest in the morning of departure, she never told me anything was wrong, and i explaned to her how we will be changing this room from october 1st 2012 and all rooms in the guest house will be en-suite, she never said that she had a problem at all.