“Great little fine dining restaurant”
Review of @Angela's

@Angela's
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #15 of 613 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A friendly, intimate restaurant specialising in fresh local food, @Angela's restaurant in Exeter serves passionately prepared cuisine in an ideal location close to Exeter Cathedral and Exeter St Thomas railway station. Offering high quality seafood, meat, game and vegetarian dishes, @Angela's is committed to using eco-friendly produce, sourced from the finest local suppliers. Signature dishes include Roasted Duck Breast with caramelised orange sauce and Baked Filo Parcel filled with mushroom and walnut duxelle. Each main course is served with fresh vegetables and potatoes, and dietary requirements can be catered for on request. Children of all ages are welcome, making @Angela's a superb restaurant for family dining. Warm spot lighting and calm background music in the evenings also make @Angela's an attractive restaurant for romantic dinners or a comfortable catch-up meal with friends. @Angela's was awarded 'outstanding contribution' to food service in the Food & Drink Devon Awards.
Reviewed May 7, 2019

Off the beaten track and not open every day, @Angela's serves a top-quality French-style menu. Ideal if you're looking for a special (not cheap or buzzy!) meal out. We've been a couple of times and will certainly go back.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed May 5, 2019

A very charming, intimate restaurant with a relaxing atmosphere and very welcoming hostess.
The tables have crisp white linen and are far enough apart for private conversation.
The kitchen is open to view which speaks highly of the chef.
The wine list is good ( though purely personal taste I would prefer a French Malbec).

The Strudel main course was good with a deep rich taste often lacking in vegetarian food. The starter of goats cheese however was lacking excitement and finesse. With a bill of £115f for two it was disappointing to be served such a run of the mill veggie staple.

The rosemary bread was light and flavoursome but not warm.

Overall I enjoyed the evening and will certainly book again.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank OldMartin
Reviewed April 20, 2019 via mobile

Relaxing atmosphere, wonderfully presented top quality fish dishes and other fare. Scallops, Turbot, and fillet steak all incredible. Imaginative deserts to round it all off. Superb.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 1, 2019

Booked this restaurant as the reviews were all very good, was looking for somewhere nice to eat for a special occasion. We had a table booked for 6.30 as was advertised as being open from 6. We arrived just after 6.15 and was closed even though website showed as open. Hung around outside for 10 minutes.
The menu looked good but it wasn’t an extensive choice but all sounded very nice and all dishes were served with vegetables of the day. I chose a terrine my partner had goats cheese to start and I chose fish with scallops for my main, which was £30 my partner had duck. The starters were ok, when our mains arrived we were both quite surprised how they were presented. My fish was rolled and the scallops laid to the side and the sauce around it but the veg just seemed to be plonked on the other side of the plate ( 5 tiny potato wedges, some long stem broccoli and 5 wedges of carrot which were multi coloured) and I was disappointed to see that I had some skin on the fish which I don’t eat. I didn’t order dessert as nothing tempted me my partner chose cheese and biscuits. The meal was nice but the presentation wasn’t and for the price I expected it to be better.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank Bideford29
Reviewed March 30, 2019

The area of New Bridge Street, Exeter, where Angela's is to be found is a little bit on the run-down and shabby side, with tattoo parlours, "beauty" salons, convenience stores and so on, but wedged amongst these is Angela's Restaurant, where Angela does the "front of house" and her husband does the cooking, visible through a large hatch in the back of the "shop".

There are only about 22 covers by our reckoning. The menu and the wine list shows a predeliction for seafood, much of it in the French style, and French wines predominate on the wine list (although there are other old world and new world wines on offer too).

We found the food and the service impeccable, and the attention to detail with both was excellent. Heavy strong flavours are avoided, and unlike many French-based cuisines the sauces were lightly and delicately flavoured rather than being rich, thick and overbearing.

I would particularly recommend the monkfish - a huge chunk of what is in any case a meaty fish - very satisfying. The scallop starter was very fine too, as were the scallops which were served with the brill maincourse.

We chose a light Italian white wine which we found very similar in style to Greco di Tufo, and it went very well with the fish. Number 4 on the wine list and just under £30 for a bottle. Ashamed to say we got through two bottles! Sometimes enjoying yourself has its own momentum, and that's probably why I can't remember the name of it.

We had desserts, and Angela's being a genuinely civilised restaurant there were two different Normandy calvados' on the wine list too. Who could resist?

So, don't be put off by the surroundings. Angela's is a "diamond in the rough".

Date of visit: March 2019

Been to @Angela's? Share your experiences!