“What a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of @Angela's

@Angela's
Ranked #67 of 518 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A friendly, intimate restaurant specialising in fresh local food, @Angela's restaurant in Exeter serves passionately prepared cuisine in an ideal location close to Exeter Cathedral and Exeter St Thomas railway station. Offering high quality seafood, meat, game and vegetarian dishes, @Angela's is committed to using eco-friendly produce, sourced from the finest local suppliers. Signature dishes include Roasted Duck Breast with caramelised orange sauce and Baked Filo Parcel filled with mushroom and walnut duxelle. Each main course is served with fresh vegetables and potatoes, and dietary requirements can be catered for on request. Children of all ages are welcome, making @Angela's a superb restaurant for family dining. Warm spot lighting and calm background music in the evenings also make @Angela's an attractive restaurant for romantic dinners or a comfortable catch-up meal with friends. @Angela's was awarded 'outstanding contribution' to food service in the Food & Drink Devon Awards.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“What a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went to Angela's for a wedding anniversary meal and were very disappointed. The prices are high, but we were prepared to pay for what we thought would be a very special meal. Angela gave us a warm welcome but we were the only customers in the restaurant (lunch time) which didn't bode well. Angela and the waitress were very friendly and helpful but the meal was not good. We both had starters of goat's cheese on brioche with pear and walnut, which arrived on a small bed of tired lettuce and tomato with very little pear or walnut. It was fine, but not special. For main course my husband had duck which was nicely presented and cooked as requested, but my sea bass was under cooked and had to be returned. The vegetables were boring, just carrots, broccoli, swede and duchesse potatoes. The two courses were bland but we decided to have desserts in the hope of redeeming the celebration meal. We choose Angela's dessert to share which sounded full of promise including dark chocolate mousse, honeycomb ice cream and a few others things. What arrived could have easily been eaten by one person but it cost £12 so we felt short changed.

The restaurant is well laid out and has a pleasant feel, with an excellent choice of background music, but its standards need to rise, or prices drop if it is to attract customers more than once. However, whatever the price I don't think we would make a re-visit.

We then walked to the near by M&S to buy a Dine in For Two for £10 to make up for our experience. Enough said?

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Maggie B

“Angela's is a little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I visited here with my wife after finding the site through an internet search - so a bit of a gamble. But it really paid off - we had a wonderful meal. Angela's is small and intimate - nearly all of the tables are for two. There is a love for food and service coming out of every part of this place.
The service could easily have been overwhelming due to the size of the place, but everything felt perfectly paced with just the right balance of attention and privacy.

• Visited July 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Overall a very good night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

It had been a while since I had been to Angela's (before it was extended). The food was as always very high in quality and flavour. Previously, there has been a lack of vegetables but this seems to have been sorted out and I ordered another dish to be on the safe side, so plenty! The only criticism was the seasonality as courgettes are not often seen in the fields in January. I did miss the old sorbet course which seems to have disappeared - and I think olives used to be served (?). Friendliness and atmosphere were great and as usual Angela was the best hostess.

• Visited January 2013
“Go to The HH, not here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

If you want a special meal and you are in Exeter, then don't here - go to The HH in Broadclyst (which is absolutely fantastic).

We found the whole experience under par and dated, sorry this restaurant just is not in the top flight.

On the positive side the sea bream with ginger and spring onion was nice.

1 Thank AliceZM
Exeter
“So close - but on the 2nd visit, still not quite there”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

It's such a shame really, this place has everything going for it - the address is not the best in town, but I like that - like finding a diamond in the rough. The food is sourced with passion and served with the same emotion. The front of house staff are amiable, knowledgeable and clearly want their guests to leave smiling - and we really tried to. Silly things that are so easily fixed, let Angela's down. We were a table of 7, celebrating 2 birthdays, an annual outing for a group of friends that know each other well so the atmosphere was always going to be relaxed and fun on our table and this sat well with the overall ambience. Onto the bit that makes me wrinkle my nose, we live in Devon, we have endless supplies of the most fabulous vegetables, why oh why then, did we get served very plain overcooked steamed cauliflower, carrots and potato, without a trace of seasoning, old looking and no tossing of butter or care in presentation. It doesn't matter how good your piece of fish or venison, once you look at the veg, you're straight back to school lunches! I am fighting an internal battle now, should we give it a third try - it is not inexpensive and twice now, I have left feeling slightly diddled! I will be keeping an eye on further reviews to help me make my mind up.

• Visited January 2013