“Good Value”

and 1 more site!
The Clock Tower Hotel
Ranked #61 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We stayed in room number 1,which was a large double, on the ground floor overlooking the front. The hotel is set well back from the very busy road so the traffic noise wasn't a problem.
Our room was fairly large with a good bathroom and much nicer than some of the B & B's we've stayed in at the same price (£75).
The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast in the morning was slightly haphazard, but I think everyone had decided to come down at once, also it was one of the busiest weekends of the year, freshers !!
I would certainly rate this above other places we have stayed in the centre of Exeter.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 19, 2009

Bad points:
1) terrible breakfast consisting of a chewy plastic sausage, salty toughened up bacon, pale greasy jelly-like fried egg and cardboard toast, served up in a less than friendly manner;
2) the (double)bed was too small for two people and too soft; best not to roll over in the middle of the night!
3) the room (top floor) was too small for a double room (probably why there is only a miniture (double)bed in the room)! If you're booking a double room, avoid the top floor if possible.
Good points:
1) reception staff generally friendly and helpful;
2) good central location;
3) nice garden;
4) quiet (from the top floor at least);
5) parking available but depending on the time of day, can be hard to find a parking space right next to the hotel.
Conclusion:
OK for one or two nights as a cheap(ish) hotel in the centre of Exeter, but if I hadn't been bothered about being in a central location, I would have prefered a smaller, less industrial B+B elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

A comfortable hotel with well equiped rooms, decor slightly faded but all very clean and tidy. Staff are very freindly and helpful and the location is ideal as close enough to the centre of Exeter to walk everywhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We booked a night's stay and were not disappointed. The hotel had a lovely front garden and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, there's no lift and navigating up the narrow stairs can be tricky when carrying heavy or big bags. The family room was not very large but it was comfortable and cozy, with all the amenities provided. It's also ideally located, close to the city centre and the cathedral. Overall a charming hotel and we would definitely stay here again if we're in Exeter.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I recently stayed in The Clock Tower Hotel for a week. Me and my partner booked a large double room for 78 pounds a night in July. We arrived by bus from Exeter airport and walked from the bus station to the hotel: the walk took about 15 minutes with the suitcase. The hotel is quite easy to find and about a 10 minute walk to Exeter’s high street and the cathedral where there are plenty of cafes and restaurants, and there is a convenience shop less than a 5 minute walk away that stays open until 10pm. There are two train stations near to the hotel and a bus stop 5 minutes down the road, although we mostly used the bus station to get around the local area. I can’t comment on the parking facilities or access by car as we used public transport.

The hotel is situated in a terrace along a long, fairly busy road, although there is a pedestrian crossing right outside, and the double glazing in the room meant we weren't bothered by traffic. The hotel itself is Grade II listed building. Checking in was very straightforward. We were required to pay upon arrival, but that suited us as we had to leave very early on the morning of departure. The reception room is comfortable and nicely decorated with a couple of sofas and a table with leaflets and newspapers on it. I wish there had been a local paper to be able to look up cinema times. The woman who checked us in was very friendly. We had to carry our suitcase up the stairs ourselves - this was fine but for people with a lot of suitcases or with problems with stairs it might not have been. I did notice there were rooms on the ground floor however.

The room was quite large (we paid extra for a larger room) with an enormous bed and futon sofa. The ceiling was high and there were two large windows with double glazing looking over the lovely front garden. The sink was in the room and seemed perfectly fine. There was soap, shampoo and shower gel in a little basket and towels laid on the bed for us. There was no safe which we thought the room could do with. There was also no chain on the door, and no ‘do not disturb’ sign, which was a little annoying on the day that we decided to sleep through breakfast, as we were disturbed by the maid. The room also had a TV, but there were only four channels so we didn’t really bother with the TV. The floorboards in the room above ours were quite noisy: you could hear every footfall. Also we could hear people walking past our room in the corridor. This didn’t happen often though and only during the daytime so we didn’t mention it. There is a folder in the room that lists local restaurants and their phone numbers, and a hairdryer in the drawer. The room also had a kettle with tea and coffee making facilities (although no biscuits!). There were several power sockets and all the lights worked fine. We found the room perfectly clean.

The bed was very large and seemed to be two single beds pushed together but this wasn’t noticeable at all except visually. There was a plastic mattress protector underneath the sheet. I didn’t notice it and wasn’t bothered but my partner found it annoying. Apart from that the bed was very comfortable and we slept well.

The bathroom consisted of a shower and a toilet and was very tiny. However, it was perfectly adequate – the toilet flushed easily, although the plumbing sounded a little noisy. The shower was absolutely wonderful, hot, powerful and clean, lovely.

The breakfast was excellent. You could choose from a fried breakfast or croissants, both came with juice, cereal, toast, yoghurt and tea or coffee. The breakfast room was off reception and was tastefully decorated with large windows. The staff were very pleasant and prompt.

We are a gay couple and had no ‘reaction’ or problems from the staff, so I would also rate this hotel as gay-friendly.

Overall I would recommend the Clock Tower Hotel. The location is great, very close to the city centre, our room was large and of good quality, the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was wonderful. Considering all of that I think the price we paid was good value. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank soots91
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I booked a single room for one Saturday night this month. The room I was given was a twin room. The room was compact but had a large window and high ceilings so it didn't feel claustrophobic. The bathroom was small, but perfectly formed. I was in a room overlooking the gorgeous front garden.

The hotel staff were friendly and accomodating and as I was travelling alone they made me feel safe and secure.

The only bad thing that I could possibly say about the room is that there was no additional lock on the inside of the door. To access the room there was a key and no handle - so no-one without a key would've been able to get in - but still would've liked a chain or an additional way of locking the room.

Overall I would happily stay here again and plan to do so on my next visit. A lovely, charming hotel - perfect location for both train stations and only a 10 minute walk to the high street.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I didn’t realise that this hotel was listed on Tripadvisor as I would have commented earlier. I stayed here in September 2007 while on business at a cost of £75 including breakfast and was allocated a room at the front of the hotel.

This is easily worst hotel I have ever stayed in. First, it is not accessible. The hotel is situated on a busy main road and there is no ‘drop off point’ outside. I ended up parking my vehicle in the car park opposite and walking back to hotel to check in. The reception staff did not offer to take my luggage and place these in my room. I was offered the use of the hotel’s garage to leave my car but it was a palaver trying to find the hotel’s garage in the maze of one way streets, unlocking and locking the garage doors, so the benefit was limited.

As for the room, the less said the better. The room had a couple of flies circling when I entered. Hmmm, nice! The room had secondary glazing to reduce the noise from the busy main road, but this was of limited use and the windows needed a clean.

The bed had a plastic mattress protector on it, which made it uncomfortable. I shudder to think what ‘accidents’ the protector was attempting to deflect.

There was a sink in the room; the wooden fitting at the back of the sink was absent; presumably this disintegrated due to water ingression. As for the complimentary toiletries, there was no shampoo. I think it would have been reasonable to expect this given the room price. Soap was provided but it was not wrapped. I can only presume that this had been left by the previous hotel guest(s) and recycled. Needless to say, very unhygienic! As for the shower and bathroom, the toilet was in what can be described as a small closet area within the bathroom. Any of a rotund stature would have struggled with the limited space.

Breakfast was fine but served by a waitress who looked like she needed a bath and her clothes laundered. Hygiene, it would seem, does not rank highly at this hotel.

On the positive, it is close to Exeter town centre, about a ten minute walk and there are some good ‘chain’ restaurants near the Cathedral.

Reviewers reading this may think ‘why I didn’t complain’? Although the booking was for three nights, my travel plans changed and the stay was only for one night. The hotel staff were gracious to accept the alteration in the booking. So in conclusion, bearable for one night but hopefully, never again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business