“Good and remaining so!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Thai Orchid
Ranked #132 of 514 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Good and remaining so!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have dined at this establishment a number of times and what is most apparent is the quality! There is quality in the food, quality in the service and (just to re-cap) quality in the food! Yes to be fair it is not the cheapest option on the planet (or even in Exeter) but quality costs and this restaurant has it, (quality), in abundance.
The food is delicious as it uses good ingredients, well prepared and sumptuously delivered and clearly the chefs are more indigenous to the East than anything North of the Isle of Wight!
For a great Thai night out - tell Bon (the owner) I sent you!

Bon appetite! [No pun overlooked!!].

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Gavin C

• Thai first
“Recommended experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

A highly recommended Thai restaurant in Exeter with good reviews by friends and colleagues in the area, I had the pleasure of accompanying my niece and her partner there on the evening of Friday 4th October. The welcome was warm and friendly in spite of some very rude customers butting in before us, and the courtesies and service were extended throughout the experience. The food was of the highest quality, faultless, but for the price the portions were just a little small, however by no means inadequate. The cleanliness was unquestionable, the décor simple and pleasant, the very noisy and unpleasant clients soon calmed down when the food was served and the place was well attended with quiet background music, unobtrusive. The toilets were immaculate but beware, men's toilets are upstairs if you're disabled. We could not find anything to criticise and the pace of the meal was relaxed, pleasant and efficient. An enjoyable and worthwhile venue for a special Thai evening with an extremely varied and interesting menu and conveniently located right in the heart of the city adjacent to the magnificent cathedral.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Martin_Mather
“What's happened?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We’ve been eating at the Thai Orchid, (mainly take aways) for several years now. Occasionally the food has not been to the same high standard as we have come to expect, and we have put this down to the main chef being away. But recently, and mainly over the past couple of months, the dishes which we normally order have not only been different to usual but substandard. The normal thick sauce in the curry has turned to a neon soup, devoid of content!

I do hope that it is only because the head chef has taken a prolonged holiday but we are debating whether to return or not as the dishes are not cheap and t is an expensive treat to keep getting below par food.

I would be interested if anyone else has experienced the same over the last 2 months

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1234anon
“Mostly Happy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I’ve eaten food at and from the Thai Orchid for nearly 20 years. I would have always rated it as excellent except for 1 major issue, which I will come to.
Last night I ordered a takeaway for my wife I and. The Thai Orchid does not have a delivery service, but as I have had so many fantastic dinners in the past, this didn’t matter.

While waiting in the restaurant, I was offered curried crackers, which were very nice. The staff were as always polite to a fault and very welcoming, which you can never fault. From such a quality restaurant I wouldn’t expect less.
Ok so far, but now that one let down. From 99% of Cantonese restaurants you can expect fattening foods swamped in MSG, which I’ve thankfully never had from a single Thai restaurant. Unfortunately my wife had a King Prawn noodle dish that came in two halves. One half, with the noodles and vegetables was fine, however the other half with the prawns and the (as it was described – gravy), was quite frankly British style Chinese! While I’m sure it was cooked ok, the sauce was clearly totally soaked in vile MSG. I ended up tipping the jelly into the bin in the morning. It felt quite a let down from a restaurant I’d always raved about to friends and family.
I will be going back, but will be asking very carefully about the dishes I am ordering first.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MrC1972
London, United Kingdom
“If I could give 6's I would. Probably the best restaurant I've ever been to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Was here last month for my friends birthday and back in April for mine. Very nice Thai staff, very professional and go the extra mile to get things right. Last month there was a group of 5 - we all shared a number of currys out between us. Chicken Thai Green, Beef Thai Red, Veggi Curry and a King Prawn Noodle dish and rices. All dishes were perfection, if you like Thai food you'll love this restaurant. Well worth the price, couldn't fault.

• Visited July 2013