“Poor Service”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Poor Service”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went to Pizza Express yesterday evening (Friday) - My partner went inside to say we would like to sit outside it was a beautiful warm evening that was asking for some alfresco dining before it feels freezing in a few short weeks time. Anyhow even though we had large menus stood to attention on the table we were ignored for a good 10 minutes. Eventually someone came over and took our drinks order, I tried to order our food but was told someone else would be along shortly. There was a waiter at the opposite end of the outside dining area chatting to some customers that he either knew very well or he hoped to know well in the very near future. I was trying to be discreet and alert the waiter to us wanting to order, anyway as time was pushing on I went to the inside of the restaurant and stood near to where the pizza chefs were working, a few more minutes later I am really narked that we have still not managed to order and no one is all that bothered whether we are happy, waiting or not. Once I have the waiters attention - well so to speak, he wasn't the most engaging kept looking away from me when I was talking to him. We have been saving the BP vouchers which enable you to have a starter of dough balls and any main course except for the more expensive dishes, so we had 2 of these vouchers, to avoid any confusion I took these vouchers when I went in to place the order, the young waiter looked most perplexed and said we could only use one at a time. Fortunately I was one ahead of him as I had already read the small print 'multiple codes can be applied to one bill' so I pointed this out to him, the waiter who it must be said didn't speak the best English then said 'i need to check with my manager' add another 2/3 minutes to the wait, food STILL not ordered. Unsurprisingly the waiter returns and says the manager says that's fine! What would you like ? At last maybe the evening will get off to a better start once the food is ordered, everyone can have an off day. 15 minutes later the pizza arrives at our table before the starter of dough balls.... I asked the (different) waiter where the starter is - he is unaware we have not yet had the dough balls, and says he will return soon with the starter, I stopped him there as I hate to think of food wasted and time is going on it will be pitch dark before the mains arrive if I send the food back, so I ask to waiter to arrange for the starter to arrive and we will keep the mains. Once all food arrives no checks are dare made as to whether we are happy with the food, in fact we saw no one staff wise once all the food eventually arrived - the food was ok but the poor service marred this - perhaps this is a one off but thought it worth reviewing to see how others find Pizza Express in Exeter. It was a shame as the setting overlooking the Cathedral is idyllic. No real apology, we would have been pacified by a free drink/pudding as accept mistakes sometimes happen

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Great for Gluten Free”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had a very enjoyable meal here as 2 couples. The service was very fast although it was a busy saturday night, and the staff were all lovely. They we're very helpful when it came to food choices and ordering and overall we had a lovely night and meal.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Ok for families, rubbish for adults”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Whilst the food is pretty standard fare at Pizza Express and is usually well cooked and presented as it was on this visit, the hoardes of young children running around and banging into our chairs wasn't much fun. We sat at a central table on the ground floor so were constantly knocked by the numbers of people flowing through the restaurant. Recommend that you sit upstairs if dining without children.

London, United Kingdom
“Very good for children”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I took my two children in here for 'tea' and it was great. Colouring to do while waiting, very quick service by friendly staff. Food good. Only complaint would be the children's dough balls were served so hot my son burnt his mouth and a few bits of pasta were abit hard. Apart from that, excellent!

Exeter
“Great food, service inconsistent and slow at times.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I would like to start by making clear how great the food was here. I am gluten intolerant and the pizza with the gluten-free base was fantastic. Usually gf bases are too dry and doughy, but this was spot-on. You really couldn't tell that it was gluten free! My boyfriend had the salami calzone, which he also thoroughly enjoyed.

We visited the restaurant on a Tuesday afternoon at about 4pm, so not a very busy time. The service, however, was painfully slow. It took over twenty minutes to be given our drinks. We were also left sitting for a long time at the end of our meal before the plates were cleared. I looked around me and most other people sat outside were getting frustrated by the lack of service too. My suggestion would be to allocate one member of staff to look after the outside tables only. Because everyone sat outside of the restaurant seemed a bit ignored. The staff were pleasant enough, they just needed to be a bit more efficient.

• Visited July 2013