“High hopes shot down in flames!”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #188 of 563 Restaurants in Exeter
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Ok so it's father's day and they were busy.
At first we were sat on a table next to the waitress station, where a waitress was spitting her dummy out about how busy it was.

We ordered my 6year old daughters pizza with the drinks, which was not ordered, my mum ordered one of their gluten free pizzas which came as a normal one (and my daughters had not been ordered at all). A short middle aged waitress who had tried giving my mum a normal pizza (which would have made my mum so incredibly poorly) had a face like thunder and when my mum tried to explain she cut her of with "YEAH YEAH YEAH" and walked away?!?! Excuse me?

The manager was very polite and very apologetic, he brought some complimentary dough balls for my daughter which she was incredibly grateful for and enjoyed them thoroughly.
My pizza was very nice as was my fiancee's pasta.

My mum's gluten free pizza came and was also enjoyed.

We were not charged for my daughters food and all the male staff (2 dark haired waiters and the manager) were incredibly helpful and apologetic.

A brunette waitress who had been having a strop early on had a big smile and was polite too, but this middle aged waitress shot us a look that could have killed when she was queuing to go down the stairs a bit later on (my dad commented that it could be that I just got her a rollicking lol).

In the end.... The food was nice, the male staff were faultless, especially the younger lad with medium length hair and the manager.

The place was very loud as there is bare walls and a hard floor. A nice establishment bit I don't think I shall be returning in a hurry.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

3 of us had lunch here today. The service was quick, efficient and kind. We all ordered starters and then pizzas for mains. Everything was freshly cooked/baked for order and was very delicious :) We had vouchers so our meals cost 10 pounds each, really good value! Oh and toilets are nice and clean :)
I totally recommend the bruschetta con funghi starter!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've been eating in various branches of the Pizza Express for years and have found that some are much better than others. And this is definitely a good one.

We turned up at 7.15 on a warm Friday night and not surprisingly there was a slight queue for a table but we were seated within a couple of minutes. Our waiter was lovely - friendly, helpful, cheerful and polite. The pizzas were delicious and so were the puddings. And the wine!

The restaurant was really busy and the staff were working extremely hard, running up and down stairs, serving customers and keeping everything flowing. The two chefs were working flat out too, yet the atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. It was a very enjoyable evening. I would be delighted if this were my nearest branch of the Pizza Express!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I can remember long ago when the very old building on the corner of the Cathedral Close in Exeter was a coffee shop, which sold delicious chocolate eclairs. Now this has become the Pizza Express and is an equally wonderful place to have lunch, either sitting in the sun downstairs or in a more sheltered spot upstairs. The staff are positive and friendly. It is best to book for weekend lunches as it becomes very busy, The atmosphere is vibrant with happy people enjoying their meals. Exeter has many new restaurants, but this is a place which is reliably good and is certainly one of the best Pizza Express restaurants I have visited.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Tempted by the new gluten-free menu options, this was our first visit to the Exeter branch of Pizza Express. My GF pizza was excellent, and the best GF pizza I've tried by far. Almost all the Pizza Express toppings can be done on a GF base and I was spoilt for choice! By contrast, only one dessert option, but that was lovely; maybe in time they will develop a broader selection of GF sweet treats.

The only thing that lets this branch down is the way it is run. Service was friendly and our waiting staff very well trained about gluten free, but there was a constant stream of staff traipsing in and out of the front door, going to sit outside on the wall to smoke or drink coffee. It doesn't create a good impression.

1  Thank Devon1964