“Great food, shame about the service”
Review of Abode Restaurant - CLOSED

Abode Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A charming 18th Century building over-looking the soaring Gothic architecture of Exeter Cathedral. ABode Restaurant serves high quality British/European food in contemporary style.
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Had a great meal but the service was poor. We waited just under an hour for the starter. No one bothered to keep us informed. Decided to take coffee in the Champagne Bar where after waiting 15 minutes we left. If I wanted to go to the bar/counter to order coffee I would go to Costa! They obviously didn't want to take our order at the table.

There are newer reviews for Abode Restaurant

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived we were greeted and shown to our table - but it was in a thoroughfare and so refused and requested another - slight huff but nothing major . The menu's we were given did not reflect the online web graze menu - which was not what we expected. We asked - and immediately the restaurant manager came to our table , apologised, and offered to honour the offer. We excepted but did feel a little uncomfortable - but not necessarily because of how Tom had treated us. We ordered and waited .....n waited....n waited! Luckily the bread was abundant and lush ......which helped fill the lack of food gap! Starters were lush ...... But the veggie main oddly had a 'hard mushroom' . However , Tom was wonderful , made us feel as ease, was honest about problems in service in kitchen and offered us a drink. The fact he was honest was the saving grace - otherwise the whole experience would have been a nightmare . Will return because of this .

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We treated ourselves to this as a reward for a Christmas Shopping Marathon. We ate from the 3 course set Christmas menu. The food was well cooked and presented and tasted as it should for a Restaurant with Mr Caines stamp. The service however was average to poor. the Maitre'd did his best but his staff seemed surly and uninterested. Such a shame. Specifically - when a guest walks in, don't cut straight in front of him whilst conversing with your colleague and then look at him as if he had done something wrong. I don't expect to be handed a plate of food across a table, please come around and serve me, i wasn't stuck in an unreachable corner. I think that the staff perhaps need some time in a more hurried and basic restaurant to remind them of how life is. The restaurant was busy but some empty tables, I can imagine peole have found other places in Exeter with food almost as good but service which is significantly better.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Shopping in Exeter a couple of week ago and we needed a restorative meal - thought about sevreal other places we had visited in the past, nothing special,and then fell into the ABode - what a delightful surprise, lovely staff, wonderful relaxed atmosphere, and perfect food. And well priced for the quality of both food and service.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

There is so much I can say about this Restaurant, but it is easily summed up by the word SUPERB!

The service is always second to none, the food is exquisite and the setting relaxed and not stuffy.

Living over an hour away from Exeter, I happily travel there for lunch, and every time we visit Exeter for shopping I daren't eat anywhere else.

I have taken my son numerous times, from a baby, and the staff are accommodating and do not look in shock horror that you may want to dine well even though you have a child!

I have been a couple of times when Michael Caines has been there, and others we have not seen him. This makes no difference to the food, it is always delicious. The setting is relaxed and you do not have to dress up if that's not your thing.

If you enjoy ABode, you MUST try out Gidleigh Park too!