“Delicious 'Taste of Devon' menu”

The Jack In The Green Inn
Ranked #5 of 535 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had a really enjoyable meal last night at The Jack in the Green, We'd taken advantage of the 'meal deal' link with Larkbeare Grange which priced the 'Taste of Devon' 3 course menu at £25 per head which was extremely good value for money. After an unexpected amuse bouche we had a packed meaty ham terrine and intriguing goat's cheese knicker bocker glory (very tasty!) for starters; followed by Belly Pork and Sole Veronique = both perfectly cooked with crisp seasonal vegetables on the side; a generous portion of well kept Exmoor Blue cheese and smooth Creme Brulee rounded off our meals to perfection. The berry fruit sorbet with the brulee was packed full of juicy flavour. Wine list offers a good selection of reasonably priced wines (plenty in a £20 - £40 range). The bar area and dining room are tastefully decorated in a contemporary style. Service was good too and the Owner very attentive.

There are newer reviews for The Jack In The Green Inn

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was an unpleasant visit due to the total lack of truth about the contents of the meal you get and how it correspondes on the menu,they were tiny portions that looked as if they were prepared hours earlier or even the previous day,most of the meals were hugely over priced ,you could only draw one conclusion from the demeanour of the staff that they were performing a faulse parade of helpfullness which had to be done to distract the customer from the reality of what they were being given in respect to the size of the portion of thier meal was going to be.In all honesty i orderd a duck meal not a starter for £9.50,the whole meal includind potatoes could have been placed in a tea cup,my partner had a starter which didnt seem fresh,again suspectingly pre prepared ,tomatoes and potatoes with no mass or volume inside,ie wilted or dehydrated,my conclusion is if you want service but eat low quality jazzed up to look good good food,then this is the place for you.does anyone know the difference between fresh and warmed up food

2  Thank sharon s
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The meal I had here was average and I was expecting more given the other reviews. The staff were attentive and interior is quite nice but the food was not what I would consider to be anything special. On arrival it seems we were lucky to get a table as they were very fully booked, so if you are planning on eating here I would recommend booking.

My wife greatly enjoyed her meal (a hazelnut pasta) but my selection was a bit rubbish. I had a fishcake which wasn't a taste sensation and some bland vegetables. Maybe I just picked the weakest item on the menu but it was a bit of a let down. I would expect a restaurant of this rating to have all their items on the menu as an occasion but I guess my selection must have slipped through the cracks.

I would not revisit.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We celebrated a birthday here on a sunday. My god the food was amazing. The starters are just so tasty. I had the roast beef its the best ever. Deserts to die for. Great service, will return asap.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Quality food, fantastic service and a pleasant atmosphere makes the Jack In The Green our first choice when dinning out.