“tasty sunday lunch”

The Jack In The Green Inn
Ranked #5 of 535 Restaurants in Exeter
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went to Jack in the Green for sunday lunch. This is priced at £20 for 2 courses and £25 for three courses. For starter we had smoked mackerel pate and chicken livers on brioche. Out of the two the stand out dish was the livers they were soft and delicious, although I do prefer them to be on normal toast as appose to brioche which I find a little spongy but this a personal preference. The mackerel pate had a nice taste to it but was very smooth I would say that for my taste it lacked texture but again this is a personal preference.

For mains we had roast dinner one venison and one beef. Both were delicious and came with an assortment of well prepared vegetables. The beef came with a yourkshire pudding that was a little doughy on the bottom but this would be my only critisism.

For pudding we had plumb crumble and sticky toffee pudding, both of which were very nice but not amazing.

The service was good, although it did appear that when we asked for our coats the lady went to check we had paid before returning them (a little to obviously). I would say that the food is a little overpriced as we have had similar sunday lunch offering of better quality for £19 for 3 courses near bristol (Ronnies in Thornbury) But as I am not from the area I could not say whether their price is standard.

There are newer reviews for The Jack In The Green Inn

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband took me here for a special birthday. We arrived much earlier than our reservation and was shown into the lounge area for drinks before dinner. We weren't in a hurry and were attended to regularly to make sure our drinks were topped and taken to our table when we were ready. The food was lovely as was the service. We enjoyed the evening immensely and the staff had overheard that it was my birthday and brought out a dessert (which I hadn't ordered) with a candle on it which was a lovely touch and a nice surprise. Would thoroughly recommend for a lovely evening out.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Agree with other recent reviewers. Outside is very uninviting (uninspiring roadside pub with massive car park) and the spirits are not lifted when one enters. Rather pubby in atmosphere and appearance with quite loud 'music'. Food however was fine, although the local pork terrine was rather bland. We had lunch, which was quite expensive given the surroundings, and were of the opinion that we wouldn't have paid any more at a decent hotel. Staff were pleasant enough and efficient. Actually the food is too good for this place, if that makes sense. We won't be back but if the same food were served in more pleasant surroundings - a country house springs to mind - we would go there again.

1  Thank Bubbleandme
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have friends that live close by and visit fairly often, whilst the food and service is good, it is fairly expensive, and it does make you wonder about the value that you are getting.

There are other restaurants in the area that offer great freshly cooked food,but these offer far better value.

1  Thank deldee H
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had a family reunion here last Saturday with my mother in law three adults and two young children 6 and 7. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal and the choice was varied. The childrens menu good and the kids enjoyed there food. I like my champaigne so i was very happy that this was available for me and the other wine variation appealed to all tastes. The meal was very good so was the service although I would have liked hotter chips. The children were amused with hang man and other games we played but it would have been the icing on the cake if the restaurant had a few games as well, which other restaurants have provided elsewhere. All in all a great choice for us thoough and we will come back when they are down again.