“Miles away from your average Indian”

Spice Bazaar - Dartmouth
Ranked #36 of 96 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Price range: $19 - $14,427
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The perfect setting for curry lovers to indulge themselves every way they want in a funky fusion of design innovation and exotic eastern cuisine. It prides itself on never wavering when it comes to the quality of products. Its ethos consists of using only the finest produce available and if possible locally produced ingredients - incorporating the delicate flavor of Asian spices to create a new, refreshing approach to Indian Cuisine with service at its cutting edge
Devon
“Miles away from your average Indian”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is not your ordinary "curry house". The food is superbly cooked with a range of delicate flavours and spices. The southern Indian style of cooking is a delight to the taste buds. We shall be back soon!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Second visit confirms one of best Restaurants in Dartmouth”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I'm with 62andyw this is one of the best Indian restaurants my wife and I have eaten in anywhere in the UK and represents good value for money.

The quality and subtlety of the recipes is superb with the spices allowing the flavour of the fresh seafood which we chose to come through.

It isn't the standard Anglicised indian cuisine therefore may not be what you expect but if you like excellent food I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The service is competent, polite and attentive

1 Thank ricdavjam
“Sadly disappointing”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my partner in part based on some of the good reviews and arrived after a 300 mile drive at the start of our holiday. The restaurant was smaller than expected and very busy, however we were seated quickly and the dining area itself was in good decorative order. Unfortunately the good times end there. We ordered drinks, only half of which were delivered and the poppadoms were soft. The pickles were substandard and the portions less than generous. We decided at this point to skip starters and go straight for the main course. Service was poor, inattentive and we were largely forgotten about. At some points service felt borderline rude. We waited over an hour for our mains which were edible but again substandard compared to the quality we are used to back at home. We could see into the kitchen from our table and we had cause for serious doubt concerning the freshness of our meal. Midway through my meal my partner informed me she could see heinz tomato ketchup being squirted onto something. I guess at least it wasn't a supermarket value own brand. Maybe we just turned up on a bad day, maybe there's not much competition in Dartmouth or maybe others are just easier to please than us but if this is the best I'd hate to see the worst. We won't be going back.

• Visited August 2013
spicebazzar, Manager at Spice Bazaar - Dartmouth, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
thank you for your response . can i just add that we do not use tomato ketchup or anything sub standred sorry that you did not enjoy the food at the spice bazaar , we are not the usual balti restaurant which some people are useto hot and mouth burning food
many thanks for your custom
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
“Again its brilliant”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I nearly fell off my seat after reading a poor review here. I've been too many times to count. Eaten at some of the "best" Indian restaurants in the UK and laughed so hard at some so called "best Indian Restaurant" reviews. Genuinely can't get enough of this place. The service is a bit odd sometimes but after the first course everyone is quiet. I do agree some of the presentation has slipped with food and maybe not as good as other trips. However you have to go a long way to impress me.

Windsor, United Kingdom
“Just bizarre”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Look folks, this is expensive, I appreciate Dartmouth is not the cheapest place to eat but this place wouldn't survive anywhere else with proper Indian restaurants.
The interior decoration is all in good order, the waiting staff are fair, the kitchen is in view of all but quite frankly the food is awful.
The sauces have a weird taste, burnt and jar like in flavour, while you can see he chefs I am not convinced everything is cooked from fresh. I have tried this restaurant twice now, the second visit was to see if the first bad experience was an off night as I really like curry and was on a break, sadly the second night was the same, I will not try a third when I revisit.
Try Sails or Taylor's, while not Indian food, you'll at least have a god meal.

• Visited June 2013