“Like being in another world!”
Review of Greenway

Greenway
Ranked #2 of 46 things to do in Dartmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Take this extraordinary glimpse into the beloved holiday home of the famous and much-loved author Agatha Christie and her family.The relaxed and atmospheric house is set in the 1950s, and contains many of the family's collections, including archaeology, Tunbridgeware, silver, botanical china and books. Outside you can explore the large and romantic woodland garden, with a restored vinery, wild edges and rare plantings, which drifts down the hillside towards the sparkling Dart estuary.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have visited Greenway 3 times in total. Latest visit just as good as the others. Travelled from Dartmouth by ferry, lovely in the sunshine, took the steep walk up to the house. Also walked down to the boat house, scene of the crime in Dead Mans Folly! All the staff are very informative and walking round the house is just like visiting friends. You truly feel like you have been transported to another world! Can't wait to go back! Incidentally, the guides were surprised that my 18 year old daughter was just as impressed and is a huge Agatha fan.

NTEnglishRiviera, Marketing and Communications Officer at Greenway, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Hello, thanks for this super review; it's lovely to see that you have enjoyed all of your visits to Greenway. I'm glad that the staff and volunteers were so welcoming - I will pass your comments on to the team. I'm sure we'll see you again soon at Greenway.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

There are various ways of reaching this attraction but my wife and I chose the steam train from Paignton. There is a 20 minute walk from Greenway Halt to the house. It is fascinating to walk through the rooms which were once occupied by the Queen of Crime; the lounge, bedroom, library, dining room, study, etc. Surprisingly, nothing is roped off and you can even sit on the furniture. Her portable typewriter is there and her notebooks. One feels that she has just popped out and you are a privileged visitor. She did, in fact, keep a visitors book from the 50s to the 70s which even records the visits of her daughter and grandson. The attendants are helpful and knowledgeable. We didn't have time, unfortunately, to go around the gardens.

NTEnglishRiviera, Marketing and Communications Officer at Greenway, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your review, I'm glad that you and your wife enjoyed your visit to Greenway. I hope that you can come back soon and explore the gardens, they are well worth a visit too.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

It was such an insight to Agatha Christie, so inspiring. I felt relaxed and peaceful, it is very well done, just as if we were visiting her home on a social call. Don't miss the whole experience

Hello,

Thank you for this lovely review, it's great to see that you enjoyed your whole experience at Greenway. I hope you can come and visit again soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Bit disappointed with the interior, very cluttered not particularly outstanding. Gardens were very nice though.

Hello,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that you found the interior of Greenway not to your taste; Agatha Christie and her family were all extensive collectors, so there are a lot of items in the collection. I'm very glad that you enjoyed the gardens though. Have you visited Coleton Fishacre, a nearby National Trust property? The art deco interiors there may be more to your liking.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have for many many years wanted to visit this marvellous estate. I was not in the least bit disapointed, EXCEPT in one respect. I was fortunate in that the weather was near perfect. I travelled to the house by Vintage Bus from Paignton. The Gardens and Grounds, Boat House etc were well worth the somewhat steep walk for the fabulous views of the River Dart. One of the most memorable days of my life. You could really feel Agatha presense in places where she had walked and sat etc. There are little restrictions inside the house and you are able to sit on most of the furniture and are even invited to have a go on the piano. I was very annoyed that the house was covered in Scaffolding which did spoil my visit and I would definately NOT have attended had I had previous knowledge of this seemingly closely guarded secret, until you arrive. Then you are confronted by a black board informing you of such. Not Good. Also a bottle water costs £1.40. The exact same bottle costs .38p in Tesco Express Paignton.

1  Thank Adrian B

Hello,

Thank you for your review, it's super to see that you had such a fantastic visit to Greenway, and enjoyed so much of it. I'm so sorry that you weren't aware of the scaffolding around the house before you arrived; we have tried to get the word out about it as much as possible - it is on the website, we have informed all of the local accommodation providers, our travel partners, and the tourist information centres - we certainly don't want it to be a 'guarded secret.' The scaffolding is up as the house needs some essential conservation work done.

I hope that you can visit again once the work is complete.