“Cosy home from home”

Ranked #29 of 53 Dartmouth B&B and Inns
Tonbridge
“Cosy home from home”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

A cosy traditional B&B very central to Dartmouth. A warm welcome from Geoff and Bev who are happy to advise on restaurants and activities in and around Dartmouth. Spotlessly clean from top to bottom, this is a small timbered guest house located in a quiet back street next to the Cherub Inn. A few minutes walk from the Boat Float and centre of Dartmouth with its many good restaurants and shops. Rooms are smallish but very well furnished and comfortable with an en-suite shower room and good sized comfy bed. Parking in Dartmouth is scarce and controlled - if you are lucky there maybe a space in Higher Street - otherwise there is the main car park close to the Boat Float. We had no problems parking. Breakfast was excellent with choice cereals, fresh seasonal fruits, full english and everything in between. Would return just for the breakfast!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dandms11

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
england
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The position is very good, very central. The rooms are ok but the shower/ toilet is compact to say the least with the smallest possible hand basin making washing difficult and messy and a very thin wall between the bed and the toilet.Breakfast good and tasty. I suppose you get what you pay for but I would rather pay more.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank telbay
Plymouth
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed for a weekend in Room 4 in May 2012 and found it to be spotlessly clean throughout. The bed was large and comfortable, the decor very pretty and it was very quiet with just the noise of the local seagulls in the background. The owner Geoff was very accommodating and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble, even chilling our bottles of champagne for us and putting in our room on our return from our day out on the river. Breakfast was cosy at the communal dining table, but the food was superb. The location of this B&B is its best selling point as you are literally seconds away from the Dart. Parking was not an issue as we were lucky to park right outside, although the owner had arranged for a car parking pass for us anyway if needed at the nearby Mayors Ave car park.

All in all, a great little traditional B&B with the quirkiness of a very old building in an historic part of town. We will return in the future.

Room Tip: Room 4 is at the top of a narrow flight of stairs, however it is not overlooked and you do not get a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I booked a 2-night stay in this B+B as a cheaper alternative to the Royal Castle Hotel nearby, which I had stayed in a couple of times previously when in Dartmouth. I made the right choice; the room was prettily decorated and clean, with all the facilities listed on the Cherub's Nest main website. The owners were friendly and helpful and the breakfast on offer catered for appetites big and small - and it was very tasty too! I actually enjoyed staying here to when I'd stayed in the Royal Castle, it was more peaceful and the room I had was as good as anything I'd stayed in at the Royal Castle, if not better, in fact, in my view. If you are looking for a good-quality B+B and don't need the "frills" offered by some hotels (i.e., wi-fi, restaurant/bar) then I can highly recommend the Cherub's Nest. I would definitely stay here again, based upon my recent experience of it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Oxfordshire
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed at the Cherub’s Nest for a long weekend for a family wedding in the town. The owners made us very welcome helping us with our luggage to our room on our arrival. Parking was simple, just a couple of pounds to use the nearby car park. Dartmouth is limited for street parking and its good to find a B&B that offer a parking permit. The room was very nice, clean and very comfortable. Loved the breakfasts with plenty of choice. We would certainly stay here again, its central to all the restaurants and pubs and the quayside is only a minute away. I would definitely recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony B
Reviewed February 12, 2012

£80 for one night. Didn't want breakfast and no change in the price. Overrated b&b. Room too hot, bed uncomfortable and bathroom size of a shower. No views, not very accessible with no parking. Overall not good value for money.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank mackerels
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Booked a room here at what appeared to be a very reasonable rate. I received my confirmation by email, only to be told a while later that there was a 'fault with the booking system' and my booking could not be accepted. On following this up, I was told that there weren't actually any single rooms (!) and that I would be refunded. I do think that guest houses of this nature ought to be more 'single-person friendly' as disallowing any other type of person from staying in a room would obviously not be tolerated!

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends