“With My Wife”
Review of Royal Castle Hotel

Royal Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went to the Royal Castle for our wedding anniversary. When we booked we did drop a hint and neither of us were disappointed. There was a small gift laid on by the hotel for my wife when we arrived, a really nice touch. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening both the food and service were excellent. On the second evening(saturday) we ate in the bar ( having booked the table in the morning). It was packed in the bar but we had a table by the window and again the food and service were first class. I was impressed by the bar manager" Dan" who not only remembered my name when I went to the Bar to order drinks, but also took the trouble to ask me about my stay. The fried breakfast in the morning is A1

A great place to stay and we will be going again !!!

Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

We popped in to the Royal Castle Hotel for a late afternoon drink following a wander around Dartmouth. Initially, we just wanted a place to sit whilst considering the options for our evening meal. Having spent some time looking through TripAdvisor reviews (and listening to comments from others dining in the lounge bar) we decided to stay.

I had the devon burger whilst my partner had the pie of the day (lamb with root veg served with plenty of summer vegetables- £12.95).

I have never heard my partner be so complimentary of a meal we have had (other than when I cook Sunday lunch!). The lamb pie was "divine" and the veg/new pots were cooked perfectly.

Neither of us are particularly fans of seafood but the Royal Castle Seafood Chowder looked delicious and seemed to be a popular choice in the restaurant as did the sea bass which was the meal of choice for a table of 6 next to us (empty plates all round).

As for the service, the joyous Tamsyn looked after us as though we were locals so we ended up staying for a glass or two more.

Comfortable place to sit for a coffee, a pint or a dog biscuit depending on your preference (water bowl for dogs that are also made most welcome).

Would definitely recommend and would return without hesitation.

Bon appetite!!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BertieBunnett
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We visit Dartmouth regularly and each time this place never fails to deliver. Service in the lounge is faultless, the food and drink of a very high quality, with an ever changing menu sensibly priced. The atmosphere is always buzzy with plenty going on and food service is always prompt and efficient. The sports bar next door is equally as good for a more lively atmosphere!!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I recently spent a long weekend at this great, nay, brilliant hotel in Dartmouth. Several pointers for those looking for accommodation: PRO: It's a a great hotel with great staff, a fabulous bar/restaurant and a superb location, with great rooms. CON: If you have any mobility problems forget it - this is an old building with lots of stairs, so don't bother. Parking is outside the hotel and they take your car from you, so don't expect to be door to car.
Honestly though, best hotel in Dartmouth.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Perfect location. Valet car parking is a good start. Efficient check in and early access to room a bonus. Rooms well furnished and very comfortable. Service in restaurant for breakfast a little hap-hazard but food when served very good. A little on the pricey side at £200+ per night.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I and my wife have been staying here for many years. I didn't realise that a 13th episode of Fawlty Towers had been made until I read the recent review entitled 'shocking' from Louise C. I can only assume that Basil and Louise were on a busman's holiday, all the way from Fawlty Towers (Glen eagles) in nearby Torquay. What a load of rubbish, Nigel and his team are nothing short of brilliant, and any problems are sorted without delay. The management's response was spot on, and if anyone can find a better hotel in this part of the world, I'd like to know about it !

Room Tip: All rooms are good, river view are best, but more expensive.
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We spent just one night at this hotel whilst in Dartmouth on business. I seemed quite expensive but we were offered a 25% out of main season discount and then a much better corporate rate, which made it excellent value The room we had overlooked the old harbour and the River Dart Estuary and was a great sight when we opened the curtains on the first morning of our stay. The room was individual, quite spacious and had a large comfortable bed. The bathroom was excellent and even had a Spa bath, which my wife really enjoyed. We weren't overly impressed with the restaurant menu or prices and despite the great views from the restaurant it looked a bit dismal, so after walking around the town for 30 minutes only to find most of the decent restaurants were closed; maybe because it was a Tuesday night, we went back to the Hotel, to eat there. We had to order at the bar food order point but the service was really quick and the food was quite impressive and sensibly priced. The following morning my wife had breakfast in our room whilst I attended a meeting downstairs. She really enjoyed her breakfast but the one I had was not too good. Overall I would say that I would happily return to this hotel and hope to return maybe for a couple of nights in September when it's going to be less busy out of season.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the River
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
#5 of 6 in Dartmouth
Quayside Hotel
Quayside Hotel
#1 of 2 in Brixham

Been to Royal Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!