“Great views. Nice hotel - shame about the price.”

Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Dartmouth
southampton
“Great views. Nice hotel - shame about the price.”
Reviewed October 15, 2008

My husband and I have just enjoyed a 1 night stay at the Dart Marina ( first night away together since our baby). It was a treat from my Dad. I was armed with a very generous budget and so after lots of looking around we decided to treat ourselves to a stay at this hotel.

The room was lovely - we stayed in room 54 which is a luxury room with a balcony ( £245 including evening meal).

The evening meal was very dissapointing but my husband and I were very british about it and didn't complain. My vegetarian tartlet was so tough that I couldn't even cut it. The restuarant felt slightly pretentious - It had quite a formal feel to it - yet the food was not up to scratch really. We had a look around Dartmouth the next day and there were some lovely looking places to eat so personally I would reccommend going to one of those instead.

Our break was also to include some spa treatments. I had a full body masage and a facial. These treatments were lovely and the spa were very nice. Sadly the spa facilities were very limited and I was really dissappointed as I had planned to spend hours in the spa. Also the steam room floor was really dirty which really put me off.

In general the stay was lovely and we felt like we had, had a nice break. However with a £501 hotel bill for one night it did seem a lot of money for the standard of stay. We have stayed in nicer hotels for a much better price.

If I had my time again I think I would of booked a hotel that offered more for my money.

• Liked — The balcony with lovely views.
  • Disliked — The food.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alison_insouthampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Bournemouth
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I went to the Dart Marina with a couple of friends, and had a great time. We booked an apartment, which was spacious, extremely well-equiped, and offered great views of the river Dart. Good value at £85 pppn (for three of us)

I'd recommend the Wildfire Bistro for great cocktails, the Spa (small but has everything you need), and the location (quiet, on the edge of town).

We ate at the New Angel, which was superb!

Also liked the fact that the hotel didn't mind/charge us for a late checkout.

• Liked — Size and quality of room
  • Disliked — The jacuzzi not workinG!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We are regular visitors to Dartmouth and usually stay in a privately rented apartment in the swish Dart Marina development. At the end of our most recent stay we decided to book into the Dart Marina Hotel for an extra couple of nights. We had enjoyed dinner there during a previous visit and so had high expectations for our stay. Indeed we had previously checked the Tripadvisor reviews and remarked that other visitors shouldn't be surprised that the hotel is expensive, because at Dart Marina one is paying for the stunning riverside location. Surely the size of the bedroom or other minor quibbles would be forgotten in the sheer enjoyment of staying in such a wonderful part of Dartmouth. However regrettably we have to agree with the other negative reviews - the Dart Marina Hotel is resting on its laurels and could be a fantastic hotel if only more effort was put into providing for guests' comfort.

On arrival we were greeted and helped with our bags. It was nice to walk into the pleasantly furnished hotel lobby and lounge, knowing that this time we would be staying. However we were not offered the welcome drink as other Tripadvisor reviewers have mentioned. Check-in was efficient and then we stepped into the hotel corridor......and our hearts sank a little. The corridors were rather narrow, dark and drab, there was none of the anticipated feeling of luxury apparent from the lounge area.

In the corridor outside our room was a large cleaning/service trolley which had the effect of narrowing the walkway even more. This was left in the same position from about breakfast time to late afternoon on both days of our stay, causing us to squeeze past every time we entered or left our room. We tried to ignore the piles of used towels that had been dumped along the corridor. A bit depressing really.

Our room was the "double with balcony" that we had booked through the Dart Marina's website. We can't argue with the description and as mentioned above we did anticipate that the room might be on the small side.....but it was very, very small. On entering there was a small built in wardrobe that was held shut by a strong magnet and thus very difficult to open. The bedroom opened out into an area probably about 12 feet by 7 feet, with a small double bed, bedside cabinets, a cupboard with hospitality tray, a desk, a side table and two upholstered chairs. At least we could both sit down, but we had to take turns walking around all the furniture. The balcony was however a good size with sturdy wooden furniture. The fabrics used in the room were clean and modern but the furniture was obviously a lot older and well used. A very tatty 3-month old magazine had been left on the side table to enhance our stay.

Our ensuite bathroom was tiny - a bath that was only long enough for sitting in, not soaking; a washbasin and a tiny loo that had to be approached by walking backwards because it had been fitted into such a narrow space.

The main problem with our room however was the noise from both neighbouring rooms - mostly the sound of television, but also the other guests' conversation. I hope the lady in room 14 didn't mind us hearing every word of her thoughts on the state of a certain TV celebrity's marriage! Annoyingly we were disturbed until about midnight on both of our evenings by television noise. We mentioned it to reception and the response was "yes, we have had problems with that since the wall mounted televisions were installed". Basically, tough!

Happily as before we enjoyed our dinners on both evenings, although the service in the bar was a bit shambolic - first we had to find someone to take our drinks order, then the order was forgotten.....however the lady in charge of the restaurant was very pleasant and efficient, perhaps she should be put in charge of the bar, room design and housekeeping as well! The latter knocked on our door at 9am on Sunday morning and wanted to service the room, probably because it was the nearest one to the by now familiar cleaning trolley.

All in all, a rather disappointing stay for the princely sum of almost £500 for two nights' dinner, bed and breakfast. We will visit the Dart Marina again for dinner, but don't think we will make that step into the residential part of the hotel again.

• Liked — The location and walking distance from Dartmouth
  • Disliked — Small noisy room, general uncared and uncaring air about the hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tot2006
Porlock
Reviewed September 30, 2008

My birthday treat....A FLY was crawling around in my rack of lamb
my friend also had rack of lamb which was half fat.
Two others in the party had fish which swam in grease.
My friend was left to sort out the bill as we left in disgust and was offered no charge for the racks of lamb but was charged for the vegetables which of course I did not have anyhow.
My friend left his email address expecting to hear from management but so far no email.
The staff where polite but struggled with English.
So not a good birthday and would not recomend

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank lilyallen
London
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I stayed at the Dart Marina in Dartmouth for 3 nights in August with my husband, having stayed for one night last summer we loved it so much we wanted to stay again. All rooms are of contemporary design and are at the front of the hotel (there are no rooms facing the back) so everyone has a view of the river. We had tea and coffee making facilities with freshly ground coffee & cafetiere & fresh milk replenished each day (we were in a luxury room - the stand rooms have UHT milk and packets of coffee but this is not a hardship!) and fluffy bathrobes plus a bag of compliamentary west country fudge to welcome us. All guests of the hotel have use of the spa which is a small swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room, the only downside is you have to leave the hotel and walk outside to get to it. However, bathrobes and towels are provided in the Spa FOC plus you can use a locker for £1 which is re-funded back to you. Also, children are only allowed in the pool at certain times - after 5pm it is adult time.This time I tried one of the treatments - a pedicure which lasted well over an hour and was very relaxing. The treatment room itself was beatifully furnished with relaxing music in the background, well worth the £42. Our package included breakfast and dinner and we were able to book a table for dinner at a time that suited us which has not always been the case in other hotels where we have more or less been told what time we must eat. The food was of a high standard and was 3 courses, the breakfast was also plentiful and fresh including a cooked breakfast menu which was cooked to order. The feel of the hotel is relaxed and flexible and the staff are very helpful. There is also a carpark for the guests so no worrying about where to park. The only thing I found odd was that although the hotel sent me detailed directions they do not mention that you have to take a car ferry (£3.50 each way) across the river to get to the hotel. The first time we came we were a little suprised when the road ran out and we found ourselves halted in front of a level crossing (the steam train also crosses this road). All in all, a lovely relaxing break and compared to other UK hotels I've stayed in this is definately one of the better ones. It has a truly country feel to it.

• Liked — The comfort and design of the hotel room
  • Disliked — there was nothing I did not like
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank loulou070
London
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Amazing views of the River Dart - had a great break here and enjoyed exploring the countryside.

The hotel has a great outside area, which is great if its sunny!

Service was OK.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — Size of Room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stayed at the Dart Hotel for three nights in July. The location is ideal right on the river front. The receptionist made us feel very welcome and even provided a welcome drink.

Out room was a reasonable size with a large balcony. Room facilities were all fine and the room appeared very clean. We were above the Bistro but did not hear any noise.

We ate in the restaurant one evening, were the service was excellent. The food was also very good but the portions were small and I normally can not eat three course but felt as though I could have eaten more at the end of the meal so not sure how a man with a large appetitie would fair.

Breakfast was cooked to order and to a high standard. We were allowed to sit were we pleased and I noticed the staff readily laying table outside on the balcony if requested.

The second evening we ate in the Bistro and have to agree with other comments that the service is a bit slow, but the food was again of a very high standard. Also had a cocktail which was good but expensive.

Third evening we looked for a restaurant in the town but found either very expensive or pub food. We opted for the Floating Bridge which is part of the complex. The food again was difficult to fault and the service good.

We did not get chance to try the health club so can not comment on the facilities.

Overall we certainly enjoyed our stay and the staff were very friendly and helpful. However I agree with other comments that the prices are rather on the high side for the overall package.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chandrika
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartmouth
Royal Castle Hotel
Soar Mill Cove Hotel
Soar Mill Cove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Malborough
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to Dart Marina Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!