My partner and I are from the UK and stayed at the Dart Marina for three nights in July. We found the hotel to be clean, the staff very friendly and welcoming, and the standard of the rooms and breakfast to be excellent. There are also plenty of parking spaces which is a very useful thing in a busy town like Dartmouth. However, the main problem with the Dart Marina is that it advertises itself as a ‘luxury’ spa hotel, yet it failed to meet our expectations of what a luxury hotel should be. We are not particularly wealthy and we booked this hotel as a rare chance to treat ourselves to something special. We booked a luxury room with balcony and for the price we expected this to be something a little out of the ordinary. When we arrived we were disappointed to find a very nice, but ordinary ‘run of the mill’ hotel room with no features or facilities that made it stand out from the average Holiday or Premier Inn. This is not a complaint as such, as the room was clean, tidy, and furnished to an exceptional standard, but it was nothing that we hadn’t experienced in much cheaper hotels. We visited the reception desk and asked if we could upgrade to a Junior Suite (luckily one was available) and we are very glad that we did as this made our holiday. This was more like the luxury room we had expected from the website descriptions – with additional space, a small lounge area, and beautiful views over the river. However, even in this more expensive suite the bathroom was surprisingly dated and basic, and some of the furniture in the room seemed like it needed updating. The same is true of the fitness and swimming pool facilities. Don’t be fooled by the photographs, the pool is tiny (i.e. you reach the end in less than 4 strokes) and the gym is even smaller with old and outdated equipment – not really what you would expect from a ‘Spa Hotel’. Although the spa treatments are exceptional with professional and helpful staff. This probably sounds like we are being overly critical or fussy, but we did have a lovely and relaxing stay and we have no complaints with the service or general hotel experience. It is simply a matter of meeting expectations and I would strongly urge the owners of the Dart Marina to either lower their prices, or start to invest in some refurbishments that might keep the hotel to a standard that UK and foreign visitors might expect of a luxury spa experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simply breath-taking by the River Dart. Early morning walks, slow afternoons taking tea on the terrace, evenings watching the lights dance on the river. Not forgetting food glorious food. The River Restaurant certainly lives up to its name with wide River views from every table. Dart Marina is a place where it’s easy to hide away in a peaceful corner, spend an hour in the Spa, or just while away the time gazing at the amazing views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms and Priceline so you can book your Dart Marina Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dart Marina Hotel Dartmouth
- Dart Marina Dartmouth
- Dart Marina Hotel And Spa Dartmouth, Devon