“The Manikin House of Horrors”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Norton Park Hotel

Norton Park Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dartmouth
Norton Park Hotel
Ranked #43 of 52 Dartmouth B&B and Inns
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“The Manikin House of Horrors”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Found it on late rooms, true it is budget accomodation at £39.00, but there is a limit!!.The musty smell hits you like an overwhelming smog and as you walk up the stairs a horrific red and yellow painted manikin with no hands stares down at you, it's like the house of horrors. Bedding was clean, shower hot but the room is old fashioned and dirty. The only plus point was leaving and the fact that that ghastly figure didnt appear at the foot of my bed during the night. I would spend the extra money and avoid staying here if visiting this lovely part of the west country.

Mr & Mrs T. Lancaster

Room Tip: Dont go to room 5!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
bobm104, Manager at Norton Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Mr/s Lancaster,

I am so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us in September, had you told me during your stay, I would have been able to explain things and hopefully correct any shortcomings.

The mannequin is a piece of art by Hampshire Artist Lyneth Howells and was produced in 2005 - I am sorry that 'Georgina' (as she's called) was not to your liking - we thought that she brightened up the staircase with her cheery primary colours.

The building is far from perfect and unfortunately our Landlords have failed to complete some promised works, including fixing the leaks in some disused adjoining areas of the building, which could account for the musty smell you encountered.

Our pricing seeks to reflect the state of the property and therefore we are always the cheapest hotel in Dartmouth - which is why many people choose us. We do however hope that our rooms are clean and comfortable - I am sorry that you found this not to be the case - I only wish that you had told me or one of the team so that we could have rectified the issue.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I booked for 4 nights for the Dartmouth Regatta and had to pay iin full on arrival. I stopped in the family room with a child. The room consisted of 2 single beds and a small put up bed. The beds were unclean the floor was dirty and the shower had to be thoroughly cleaned before we could us it. This was difficult as there was very little water pressure. Towels provided were hand towels and flannels only. The family room was situated above the bar area which was very noisy until well after midnight preventing anyone sleeping. I decided to leave after only one night and was flattley refused any refund insted I was quoted a well rehearsed cancellation policy.

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Wendy K
I was most surprised to read you comments posted as they differ considerably from the conversation we had on your departure.

At that time you advised me that the rooms you had booked were fine but that you had to return home early due to a family issue.

I wasn't, however, entirely surprised to recieve a poor review on Trip Advisor, as a gentleman phoned on your behalf threatening that if we didn't refund then he would post some negative comments.

Travelers are raving about these Dartmouth hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

The Norton Park hotel near Dartmouth is a pub with rooms in a nice part of the country. Knowing it was a 2*, we weren't expecting anything marvellous and the reviews we read said basic, clean and quiet. The rooms were very basic - fine; clean - fine; but quiet - no way! We were unlucky enough to get a room overlooking the car park, which was also the area where the smokers from the pub congregated until around midnight - lots of laughing and loud talking - understandable I suppose. The place was generally run down but we were prepared to accept that for the price - £59.50 in August - but the smoke alarm 'cheeped' almost all night long and not a lot of sleep was had until some clever person took the battery out - too high for me to reach! Definitely wouldn't bother again - worth paying an extra £10-15 for something better.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one at the back or state ' a quiet room' when booking.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Tishy,

Many thanks for your constructive comments and for letting us know about the fire alarm problem on departure. We were able to quickly rectify the issue and I'm happy to say that the 'cheeping' has ceased.

I can also report that, as a result of your comments, we have moved the smoking area, to the rear of the property, well away from hotel bedrooms and surprisingly well recieved by the smokers !
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

We were looking for budget accommodation as we were visiting friends in the area. I was rather worried when reading the previous review but I have to say that for the price you pay, we couldn't fault the hotel at all. It is a pub with rooms above but they are all en suite with flat screen TV, coffee & tea facilities. The bed was very clean and we had no problems at all. The pub offers some great food deals and we had plenty of choice. The staff are really friendly and we would recommend this to anyone on a budget

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

Probably the most shocking hotel I've ever stayed in, I travel a lot with work and stay away maybe two weeks a month, my company booked this thru late rooms, where do I start, the bed that obviously someone else had slept in, the muddy boot print on the sheet, the stinking bathroom, the microwaved gammon and I don't quite know what else, or probably best of all the what the doctor described as bites from either bed bugs or fleas. This 'hotel' prides itself on offering budget accommodation but there is a limit you may ask why I didn't just leave but after a 5 hour drive leaving at 4 am and a 12 hour day working I was trapped. On the plus side the dog is very nice!

• Stayed January 2011