“Great pub”

The Cherub Inn
Ranked #34 of 98 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Famous for Fine Food, Service and Hospitality. The Cherub Inn dates from 1380 and still retains many of its original features, including some old ships' timbers, and its original use is thought to have been as a Merchant's House. It is the oldest building in Dartmouth – possibly the oldest "town house" in the South Hams – and is a Grade 2* Listed Building, a category reserved for the most interesting of smaller buildings. Great Food and Drink The Cherub Inn prides itself on being a Cask Ale House and Restaurant and offers an extensive menu, from lunch time light snacks and bar snacks to a la carte meals in our restaurant.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great pub with loads of cask beers on tap staff are good down try after drive after two or more beers

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I recently visited the cherub for my lunch and as usual it was excellent although the pub is very small the food is second to none. Jane the manager gave me a very warm welcome asdid Declan and Louise who cooked me my lovely lunch. Eating here is not for the faint hearted as you have to climb a circular staircase and the toilets are up another flight of stairs but you can sit and daydream about what life was like back in the 14. Century. Well done for keeping a little bit of history real for us all to enjoy

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I expected the local crab sandwich for £8.50 to be mainly, if not all, white meat, however it was about 80% brown lumps, some very cold. The pub seemed disorganised, fair enough we got in just before noon, but were told on ordering, the burgers hadn't yet been made. We said we were prepared to wait if they were about to be prepared, but was told the chef was already busy and wouldn't get round to them. We ordered two sandwiches, and then watched bemused as a waitress came downstairs, asked for some money, ran off and then returned with co-op bags full of loaves! Lovely old pub full of character, they were so lucky the fire didn't get to them and we will give them another try.

2  Thank residentemmett
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Only an idiot would try to take a child in a pushchair into the Cherub. Anyone looking into the place, especially when it's busy would realise this.

The Cherub has the unique privilege of being a Pub situated in a 14th Century Tudor Merchant's house. 1 Large St. Bernard Dog is big enough to take up more or less all of the bar space. It's therefore unsurprising that they don't allow pushchairs. Also, this is a Pub, what sort or parent expects to be able to take a pushchair aged child into a Pub?

Final comment - re other users with disability. As previously mentioned, this is an original Tudor Merchant's house which now serves as a pub, even getting through the front door for those with all faculties can be a challenge (especially when the pub is as busy as it can be). Forget trying to get up to the restaurant levels using the original staircase complete with thief steps.

There are other, more accessible venues in Dartmouth.

I have no connection with the Cherub, it's owners, or management. I used to be a regular (before illness caused a change in management). It's the Pub which inspired me to join CAMRA.

3  Thank KEGould
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I've enjoyed a few evenings drinking in The Cherub when visiting family in Dartmouth. The staff are great, really personable and welcoming. Recently I had lunch there with my husband, the food was excellent and the portions were of a good size. I think this is one of the nicest, cosy pubs in Dartmouth and the manageress really cares about her customers!