“Always Superb”

Sails
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We visit Dartmouth a few times a year & head for Sails every time, The food is brilliant with a change in the menu to incorporate pizzas & pastas recently as well as numerous specials in fish & meat dishes, all freshly cooked food by the superb chef Wendy. The view from the restaurant is wonderful & you never feel rushed by the lovely host Dougie. Looking forward to the next time we're able to visit already as my beans on toast was very disappointing today!!
Thanks Sue & Michael x

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had noted some varieties in the reviews of this restaurant. On the ferry from Kingswear a local told us that it can be variable. The proprietor is an incredibly nice bloke, one of the best that I have encountered. This is not a fine dining restaurant, in fact there is an emphasis on iitems such as pizza. I started with goats cheese. It was very nice and tasty, but presented in a rather boring way on simply chopped lettuce. No pea-shoots here! My main course was their speciality scallop prawn and chorizo stew. This was cooked with two varieties of beans. I rather like it, very tasty but plainly presented. My wife chose the days special which was pan fried plaice in breadcrumbs, her favourite fish. This did not look right and she was disappointed with the taste. The flesh was an orange-red colour in places. It looked to me like it had been cooked in the same pan as the chorizo in my stew. This was denied, but a replacement fillet was offered and accepted. Unfortunately this was not much better and the chips had by now gone cold. The proprietor was most apologetic and absolutely refused payment. This was a very impressive response but my wife would have preferred nice plaice. I may try the restaurant again, the proprietor deserves support, but I think more attention to detail is required in the food preparation.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I am, quite frankly, astounded that this restaurant has so many good reviews. It was these reviews which influenced my decision to book a table here last weekend during a Valentine’s break to Dartmouth, which I now regret. I can only assume that the people who have written the previous reviews know nothing about good food. The restaurant itself is in severe need of a makeover and some sort of atmosphere. The menu was un-inspiring. I opted for one of the ‘specials’ for my starter which was anything but special. The waiter described it as baked brie. What actually arrived was a slice of brie, in a dish with some redcurrant jelly which had been simply placed under a grill. No salad or bread, so £6 for some grilled brie. My partner had duck pate which was marginally better but did not appear to be homemade and was served with just three very small fingers of toast. I struggled to find something appealing for my main course. I was surprised that there was no fresh fish on the menu given the restaurants location. I opted for the scallop, king prawn & chorizo stew. I would point out that the chef seems to have some sort of obsession with chorizo as three or four out of the eight main courses contained it. The stew was bland and boring. The scallops had not been prepared properly and all had the gut running along the side. My partner had chicken supreme with chorizo risotto. The chicken was fine, but the risotto was overcooked. Neither of us could stomach a dessert, or wanted to waste any further money on such poor food. The only positive part of the experience was the waiter who was friendly and attentive, but unfortunately that is not enough for me to ever want to visit this restaurant again.

3  Thank Charlotte M
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After walking around the whole town looking at all restaurant options, the menu at Sails won over everything else, and thankfully our expectations were lived up to. Highly recommend the crawfish linguine.
The couple who own and run the restaurant are really nice and fun to chat with while waiting for your next course, plus they have good local knowledge if you are just visiting the area and want some tips.
Took their business card so we can book again next time we're in Dartmouth.
Only downside would be the lack of atmosphere, but that's because it was a cold night in February and only a few other people in the town were eating out. I'm sure in summer it's buzzing in the room. Oh and the view over the harbour is amazing

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a meal at Sails just after Christmas, we have walked past the sign for the restaurant many times before it is situated above the yacht club and this time decided to book, I left a message on the answer phone and was promptly called back confirming my reservation. On arrival we were met by a friendly waitress who was polite and informative, we both had starters, I had a Salmon and leek tart which I would recommend, for our main meals my husband had the belly pork and I decided on the braised beef both delicious . Neither of us could fit in a sweet or coffee ! The restaurant is spotless and although we didn't have a window table we could see enough to imagine the view. I would visit again and ask for a window table and try to leave room for a dessert because they sounded lovely. If I had one tiny recommendation for Sails it would be to update the
Ladies toilet, although clean and serviceable it's very dated.