“Great Value B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 54 Dartmouth B&B and Inns
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Great Value B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

From start to finish we had a lovely stay. Well met and settled in by the house keeper Will (he didn't flinch when I popped my boot and a case of ale tumbled out and smashed at his feet). The room was bigger than I expected and we had plenty of space to store the usually ridiculous amount of stuff we take on holiday with us. We had a drink in the bar that evening and a nice chat with the owner (he knows his football). The breakfast was great and totally flexible, a bit of this a bit of that. The staff offered to get any specifics we wanted, but we were more than happy. Always helpful with advice the people here really made our stay, they even lent us picnic gear to keep our champagne cool. So in all, relaxed, informal, helpful and a good culture running through the place. And excellent value.

and then

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wantage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We looked at the reviews of this hotel before booking and were rather disappointed by our experience. As someone else has said the proprietor seems very much hands-off. He never appears until late afternoon and never introduced himself; I had to examine the pictures on the walls to find out what he looked like. First impressions when we got to our room were not great. Only 4 hangers in the wardrobe, cracks all over the walls, no glasses. (extra hangers and glasses were supplied - but you had to ask for them) and for 2 evenings out of the 3 we stayed there there was no hot water. We were not sure what the 'extras you would expect of a top hotel' were - certainly no radio/alarm clock or any hooks on the doors to hang coats (not even in the bathroom). The furniture in the bedroom is good and solid but the drawers were very small and wouldn't take much more than a pair of socks. Flatscreen TV was A4-size. Bed was comfortable, and bathroom well fitted out. Bedside lamps were supposed to come on with a gentle tap but one of ours was very erratic and wouldn't work half the time. Bedroom window would open but would not stay open - had to prop a shampoo jar under the jam to get freash air.
The hotel makes much of its breakfasts but we didn't think they were that great. My wife is dairy intolerant but there was no non dairy spread (some was supplied next day after we asked for some as was some Muesli which my wife can take with hot water) - but why no offer of grapefruit or porridge? I had scambled eggs (for some reason made with lashings of cream - tasted like cream and breadcrumbs!, Bacon and mushrooms were very good, black pudding was warm with a grey sheen of lard? on top - not very pleasant, tomatoes were warmed through but not properly grilled, plates were cold. We asked (you seem to have to ask for even the basics) for hot plates and got them next day. We asked some fellow guests if their plates were hot - they weren't - why oh why?? Next 2 days we stayed with the standard fried eggs and bacon, mushrooms and beans! Oh - and despite making a big thing about all the ingredients being sourced locally - the butter was the old cheapy 'Anchor' - from NZ. Overall we thought it was overpriced and it would have been nice if one of the family had made themselves known to us and at least said 'hello' at some point during our stay. We did make a complaint before we left and did get a small reduction. We won't be going back. And one last thought - I saw no notice in either of the bedrooms about fire safety or any insurance certificate on display.

Room Tip: Should ask for a room with windows that stay open, with more than 4 coat hangers, with glasses, and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ColGFox
devizes777, Owner at The Ship in Dock Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
This guest took a full 5 minutes to complain there was no "hook for his overcoat", despite the weather being 25 degrees outside. He then went on to complain that the hangers were plastic and he would like wooden hangers. We immediately went out a purchsed wooden hangers. In the morning he complained his wife was dairy intolerant and the scrambled eggs were made with cream. We pointed out that scrambled eggs were normally made with milk and butter, which are the constituants of cream and had he informed us his wife was dairy intolerant, we would have provided a suitable alternative menu. The guest replied, "I shouldn't have to". He asked for "Flora spread and muesli". Both of which were provided. He then complained his window wouldn't stay open. We tested it and it did stay open. The guest then stated, "well it's erratic". He then complained his elderly mother had no hot water, but he did. We pointed out the the hot water came from a single source so if his is working, his mother may be having difficulties with the controls. We heard no more on this. He then complained a bedside light didn't work, so again we tested it and it did. Just before the guest left, he approached me with a torn piece of card with a list of all of his complaints to which he added "you make a big deal out of your breakfast ingreients being local, yet you stock cheap New Zealand butter" I pointed out Anchor is one of the more expensive butters on the market, but more importantly they are a large West Country employer and we support them. Also for someone who is dairy intolerant, why the interest in where the butter comes from. The guest then went on to state that he expected a discount on his bill. To summarise; We had the wrong type of hangers, we immediately changed them. The was no "hook" to hang the guests overcoat, regardless of the fact he didn't have one. The window and the light didn't work, but then they did. His wife was dairy intolerant so we supplied an alternative menu, but the guest felt we should have guessed this in advance We have had many reviews, most of which are favourable. Those that are less favourable are usually fair and reflect the honest opinions of our guests, which is a valuable tool for us to improve our service. Almost all of our reviews praise our breakfasts. We have never had a complaint about windows. To this end, we believe this guest's comments are misleading and unfair, with the sole intention of causing our business damage. One last point, a Mr and Mrs Brown, (details can be supplied) stayed over the same period and requested to extend their stay.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this B&B for a long weekend and had a great stay. The bar staff checked me in and were friendly and efficient. Room was nicely decorated and really comfortable. Good views. Was pleasantly suprised that the food was better than I'd expected for a pub/B&B - breakfast in particular.

All in all, great little B&B. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
devizes777, Owner at The Ship in Dock Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope we have the pleasure of hosting you again in the not too distant future.
Berkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of April.The owner was not there to greet us, the bloke who met us was ok, showed us to the room. It was not very big, but a great view of the harbour. Bathroom was large and clean. Room definately needs modernising and looks very tired, badly cracked walls but its an old building. We briefly met the owner (very brief) and he seemed a nice guy. When we left it was again left to the staff a foreign lady who was not overly friendly.
I get the impression the owner was 'hands off' and it gets its business through being where it is. But at those prices it needs to do more and the owner needs to be more visible for me. I give it average because there is nothing wrong, it just is average for £90 a night and needs a little more TLC to make it great.

Room Tip: OK as a base but dont expect much more, I am old fashioned and it seems a lot of money for a B&B...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sunny_JimBerkshire
devizes777, Owner at The Ship in Dock Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I am really sorry I was unable to greet this guest, unfortunately it is impossible to be available all of the time, however when guests let us know when they expect to arrive, I make every effort to greet them. I also make a point of being in the bar every evening when guests come down to say hello, check everything is ok and to offer any advice or tips to improve their stay. The reason I missed them checking out is I was in the kitchen cooking breakfasts, so I definitely am "hands on". With regards to the comments re; the room etc; the building is 350 years old, the furniture is solid oak and 3 years old. The whole building was refurbished in the summer 2008 and as the lime render settles, it developes hairline cracks. we are advised to leave this for 3-4 years and then re-decorate with specialist materials. That will take place in November 2012. You say in your review the bathroom was large and clean, but only mark us at 60% for cleanliness, which is very disappointing as we do try to maintain very high standards. You will note from the vast majority of our reviews, we do try very hard to provide the best service we can. However, the only real test of that is the experience of our clients and in your eyes we have obviously fallen short and for that we sincerely apologise.
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I booked this stay by e-mail but was also contacted by phone to confirm the booking which I thought was a nice touch.
On arrival we were greeted by one of the staff who was very friendly, welcoming and polite, shown to our room and the features explained.
The room was small but cosy if a little cramped but then you must remember this is an old building (1630s) and the quirkiness should be taken in good heart rather than criticised.
The bathroom was large with a rain shower over the bath and shower gel and shampoo provided. There was ample hot water which came through almost instantly and the nice hot shower was welcome at the end of a long day out and about.
There was tea and coffee making supplies in the room and a flat screen television with several digital channels although reception on some of the channels was poor, possibly due to the valley location.
The bed and furniture are all oak and very sturdy. The bed was extremely comfortable and gave us a really good night's sleep although the pillows were very thin and could perhaps be replaced. The bedding was of really good quality and the only criticism I could level at the room, excusing the small size, was the lack of a couple of large drawers in which to put clothing. There was a wardrobe and several small drawers but these were too small for jumpers or larger items.
The breakfast in the morning was good. Cereals and toast/jam were supplied along with fresh coffee and tea. My wife tells me that the scrambled egg and smoked salmon was lovely, hot and well cooked. The full english breakfast which I enjoyed was piping hot, plentiful and cooked using local, high quality ingredients. The service was very good and all of the staff we encountered were friendly, welcoming and eager to make our stay a pleasant one.
The bar downstairs is tiny but then it is, as previously stated, a quirky 17th century inn and you have to work with what you've got.
The price was perhaps a little higher than I would have expected for the level of facilities available, especially out of season but I was made aware of the price at the time of booking so have no room for complaint really.
The Inn has no parking however, from September to May the parking restrictions are not in force outside the hotel and there are ample on road parking spaces. From May to September the Inn has parking permits for the nearby public car park which allows free parking for guests.
Overall a comfortable and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms I believe, all with a view over the river.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Oberon1957
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

What a great little find, stayed last minute on business trip, great host, room and breakfast. Will be back for a long weekend soon.

Room Tip: From what I understand all the rooms are really high standard - the same as the one I stayed in, the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank robhill7
bicester, oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

A nice little pub/B&B with river views and short walk to the town centre. A bit disappointing to find the pub closed when we arrived at 2.30pm and we had to ring for someone to come and check us in. The pub didn't open to the public till approx 4pm, but there was no mention of this on our booking. The room we had faced the river and was lovely. Freshly decorated, clean and tidy. The wardrobe handle, unfortunately, came off in my hand! but was fixed within the hour. I also reported the bedside lamp wasn't working, and after changing the bulb which made no difference, the housekeeper said she would get a replacement. After two days and several requests, the replacement never arrived. The en-suite was fabulous with a really good power shower and high flush toilet. Breakfast was also really nice. Freshly cooked to order and served by a great chap who took the time to have a chat without being overly familiar. The big downside was the lack of parking. However, the pub provides a permit to allow free parking in the local public car park - a short stroll away - but the popularity of the town made it almost impossible to find a space. Cars were just prowling round and round waiting for someone to leave. All in all, this is a nice little B&B and I wouldn't want to put anyone off staying there but my stay was slighty blighted by the bedside lamp. I know it might sound petty, but I like to read in bed, and as the Ship was not fully booked, I dont know why they couldnt just get a replacement from an empty room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple