“Absolutely superb”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

There is a reason this is one of our first ports of call when we want a treat. It is just superb, handling all aspects of a restaurant experience superbly.

It's not stuffy, the staff are great, the menu is imaginative, the ingredients and cooking are always faultless and the attention to detail is fantastic.

Here are a couple of instances from our most recent visit. I ordered fish soup and when the waitress removed the lid she gave an elegant flick of her wrist to dissipate the steam. Class.

Alongside all the locally caught fish were the sort of treats you'd experience on an Italian holiday like Buratta and Bottega, and superb olives.

I even like the music they play, and here's the third instance of The Seahorse's 'specialness'. A track they were playing was bugging me, I could't remember what it was so 'Shazam-ed' it. Seconds later, a waitress arrived with a piece of paper. On it was written, 'Ernestine - Joe Bataan'. Class.

Every time we go The Seahorse impresses us. Only two things have changed since our first visit. It's cheaper; and with all the attention to detail a bit of a bargain. And they've bowed to the British public's craving for Brits to eat chips with their fish. Can't wait to go back again, this is everything a restaurant should be.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Visited The Seahorse while holidaying in Dartmouth. One of those rare occasions in life in which an experience lives up to expectations. And, after all the good things I had heard about this restaurant, it certainly had a lot to live up to. Which it did. Very friendly staff who were helpful regarding my wheelchair (NB, there is a step into the premises). Nathan and the two waitresses were lovely, Mitch Tonks was in for lunch while we were there and Mat, the Head Chef signed a menu for us (thanks all). Decor is effortless, relaxed yet refined. Cosy but not cluttered. So to the food. We had just the 2 courses, Dad and I had the Fritto Misto di Mare which consisted of a selection of seafood fried crisp in a delicious, light batter. Think the squid and crab were my favourites. Dessert was chocolate and caramel pudding for me and espresso and caramel pannacotta for my Dad. Divine. The Seahorse is not cheap by any means but, as a treat, I can highly recommend it. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We enjoyed a good lunch at The Seahorse the other day and were particularly taken by the flavour of the mackrel dish for the first course, very delicate but distinctive, recommended. The rest of the food was good but not yet up to the standard of the origional Carved Angel next door (although much better than The Angel that followed on). We shall return and hope that the cooking matures as time goes by.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you like fish dining here is an absolute must. The menu is imaginative and unusual. The staff friendly and the service good. I enjoyed the scallops which were the best I have ever tasted and the Royal Bream was an excellent choice. Overall a wonderful experience.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We managed to get an early reservation in a beautiful window spot, at 6pm for 4 of us, celebrating a graduation.
The service was faultless, staff were very friendly and knowledgeable, and a free glass of lovely prosecco upon sitting down set the charming and relaxed mood for the rest of the evening.
The scallops, chicken livers, lobster and sea bass were particularly divine.
The décor and the service reminded us a bit of the Ivy, but at the seaside.
The price is expensive, and you have to buy sides separately (really nice tomato salad, courgette fritters and chips!) but as a treat it is definitely worth it now and then.