“Should have come here YEARS ago!”
Review of Clovelly Village

Clovelly Village
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Clovelly
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Clovelly, North Devon. World famous for our cobbled, traffic-free street, donkeys, sledges and historic harbour. The stunning views, peaceful tranquility and cobbled, traffic-free, high street of this world famous fishing village, built into a cleft in a 400' high cliff, tumbles its way down past whitewashed cottages festooned with flowers to the tiny working port. It is famous for its donkeys, which traditionally carry goods up the hill; sledges bring things down. There are links with Charles Kingsley, Turner, Dickens and the Spanish Armada.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My partner suggested we visit Clovelly as she had done so some years ago and I had never really heard of it!! What an eye opener! Every little bit of it is interesting and its great to see just how people used to work and live. We are SO pampered in this day and age, don't you think? we ended up in the pub down by the beach and had a lovely glass of mulled cider. Well worth the effort I can tell you! Sadly we had to leave sooner than we wanted. However, whilst we were in the pub we asked to be shown some of the hotel rooms and as a result we will most certainly be returning. Can't wait!

1  Thank sophielouiseemily
Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"step back in time"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My friend and I visited the Clovelly Visitor Centre back in September and it was the most awful day, weather-wise, however it did not spoil the trip.
Upon arrival, at the top of the village, you enter via a wonderful Visitor Centre, which houses a variety of goods, exhibitions and information on this most unique site. I particularly liked the local sourced and made produce.
We then walked down the cobbled streets, which was difficult due to the lashing rain, maybe more hadrails could be provided for such occasions, of course without detracting from the special environment?
There were many places of interest on the way down and, despite the rain, managed to take many fabulous photographs of the village. I purchased a wonderful crab sandwich at the bottom and we had a nice sit down, with a pint of the local brew, in the pub on the harbour.
We decided to avail ourselves of the vehicle to get back up to the top, worth every penny!
I purchased several items from the various outlets back up at the top and was very pleased with all of them. However, I had purchased a hanging candle holder, which about six weeks later broke. I wrote to the Visitor Centre telling them of this mishap, not for one minute expecting a response on this and was so pleased to receive in the post, I am from Coventry, a replacement, just one week later!! Most impressed. Thank you .
I would not hesitate to recommend this experience to all. I have visited many times over the years, as a child, a heavily pregnant young lady and now as someone in their late fifties and have found each time to be a differnet and thrilling experience.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I thought it would be an excellent place to go with my family, it is basically one massive pebble slippery stone hill, there is a few shops down the way but most of the places where closed, in summer it would be fantastic but dont go in autumn. Once u finally get to the bottom, there is a small pretty habour, it is nice to sit down and eat a pasty next to the sea. But when we were only 1/4 of the way back up, i could barley breath, i have asma and the hill is soooo steep i didnt have any air left in me, we had to walk back down to the harbour and get a four by four back up a road next to ut, anyone can get this but it was over priced! I recommend that anyone i with asma, dont go!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The title says it all. A complete and utter load of overpriced, underwhelming tat. We got about half way down and just gave up as it is so difficult to walk on the cobbles, especially as it was pouring with rain. None of the drinks/food establishments down the street allow dogs inside. We were told we could sit in the garden! (It was 6 degrees and raining, yea right, thanks).
Just don't bother with this. Avoid it!

3  Thank R+J2
See more reviews
Reviewed November 14, 2013

To enter the picturesque village of Clovelly you have to go through the visitor centre. Once you have paid you will find a shop selling souvenirs, gifts and a cafe / bar with plenty of seating. Downstairs there is more shopping and a few facts about the village. There is a movie you can watch, not sure if it has been updated since we were last there.
Personally I would rather have a bite to eat in one of the pubs or cafes in the vilage.

The centre is more somewhere to grab a quick snack or shelter from the rain rather than a visitor experience!

The village itself is well worth a visit and I am happy to pay the £6.50 fee