“Great Village shame about the "no discount" structure.”
Review of Clovelly Village

Clovelly Village
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Clovelly
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Clovelly, North Devon. World famous for our cobbled, traffic-free street, donkeys, sledges and historic harbour. The stunning views, peaceful tranquility and cobbled, traffic-free, high street of this world famous fishing village, built into a cleft in a 400' high cliff, tumbles its way down past whitewashed cottages festooned with flowers to the tiny working port. It is famous for its donkeys, which traditionally carry goods up the hill; sledges bring things down. There are links with Charles Kingsley, Turner, Dickens and the Spanish Armada.
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Village shame about the "no discount" structure.”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I do not have a problem with paying as I can afford it, however it would be nice if discount was offered for Duke of Edinburgh /scout/guides/ leaders/students etc. The National Trust manages to do this. We need to encourage our youngsters to remember our historical landmarks for the right reasons and bring their children back in the future to sustain the flow of income.
The village looks tired and I hope with cash from the estate to help maintain the property so future generations can enjoy this attraction.

• Polish first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“A mixed experience PB”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The village itself is quaint, historically interesting and the seaward views magnificent but the visitor is faced with rapacious admission charges to enter the village via the Visitor Centre, a banal shopping market aimed at getting money out of the visitor. Perhaps the answer is to find and use the public footpaths, maintained by the Council to circumvent the Centre and its charges. There are other ways to reach Clovelly, I've discovered but too late !

Visited November 2013
United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Can't beat it!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've read alot of reviews on clovelly, and there seems to be more negatives then positives. I have been here four times, and would definetly go again. My last visit was to prove a point that I could walk up the cobbled street rather then get the landrover service (I was seriously ill in April and could hardly walk) but I must admit I should of had trainers without holes in the bottom as my feet hurt. The walk down for me was the hardest, but luckily visiting in September (and they were doing the ad for the Youngs fish) was slightly quieter. I hopefully will go again, and yep I will walk up again, just to prove I can!

Visited September 2013
Newquay, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Total Rip !!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Visited Clovelly today from Cornwall where we live, decided to meet up with friends who were visiting Devon over half term. Couldnt believe that we had to pay £21 to walk down a cobbled street !! Really !! There are some superb picturesque villages in Cornwall,steeped in history with quaint buildings and amazing harbours that far out weigh our experience today ! My husband is lifeboat crew but no chance of any discount ! Truly disappointed and certainly will not return, what a shame that our heritage once again has to be controlled by greedy ,money making people !!

2 Thank Lizziewath
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The village is amazing, the visitor centre less so”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We recently visited Clovelly for the first time and were completely enchanted by this breathtaking little fishing village. Initially I was a bit taken aback at having to pay to enter the village, but understand the need for the upkeep and maintenance of such a place. But the visitors centre does to Clovelly what the massive circus at Lands End has done - just makes a bit of a mockery of the entire place. Other reviews mention Boscastle and how well the visitors centre there accurately represents the village and I would suggest the Minack is similar - it subtly enhances the experience rather than detract from it. Clovelly visitor centre needs a rethink...