“superb”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clovelly
Limerick Ireland
“superb”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

my husband and I stayed last weekend .When we arrived another party were booking in as well unfortunately for them they did not know that you could bring your car right down to the harbor but the girl on reception offered to bring them back to their car fantastic service.We had the room with the balcony how fantastic Oh words fail me but I just said we should have booked for longer.Went down for dinner we were told there was a problem with the kitchen but as we and 5 other couples had booked dinner we were ok Well dinner was superb you would not know there was a problem in the kitchen I would recommend the Lobster Breakfast next morning was excellent I had smoked haddock and poached eggs oh once again complements to the chef.The village itself I came there as a child and returned 13 yrs ago with my children and always wanted to stay in the red lion .It was our 27th anniversary and I will be back but for longer next time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Liverpool
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here for one night whilewalking the South West Coast Path. Comfortable room with sea view. Excellent breakfast with good service. Would recommend to anyone walking the South West Coast Path. Expensive but worth it for its unique location. Clovelly is a very picturesque village.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Wilmslow
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I just love this hotel, been coming here for years now. Tried a number of the rooms (they have a room – think it’s room 12 though don’t quote me – which is set apart from the main building and almost its own little cottage – great if it isn’t raining! – and another room, well worth seeking out, which has that red balcony you see on the website pics. They’re both, as you might expect, small, but very very comfortable.)

But the rooms you want are in the Sail Loft, particularly room 17. You get TWO balcony doors, a 6ft bed, and honestly there’s your room, then some pebbles, then the sea. How much closer can you get? It is just SO relaxing if your luck’s in and you can leave those doors open – there’s no need to lock them, not in Clovelly. The sea washing over the pebbles is like a sleeping pill, and unless you’re hungry you’ll just ignore breakfast. Take some fruit along with you, have a coffee, and enjoy your breakfast at leisure – with the sound of the sea still brushing those pebbles less than 40ft away.

WARNING: the hotel cat is adorable, but she has always taken a liking to us (or the underfloor heating in room 17) – she’s adorable, but can be difficult to shoo away after you’ve made her purr. Even if you manage it, she’ll bring a mouse between her teeth to one of your doorsteps and offer it to you. That’s the kind of place this is.

It’s totally relaxing, you’re going to be experiencing a completely different “speed” of life, and the Red Lion doesn’t compromise, you just have to “go with the flow”. That’s Clovelly. Watch the fishermen as they go about their business, have a walk along that totally unspoilt quay, be tempted by the fresh seafood in a nearby hut but realise you’re never going to get it home in as fresh a condition – so just enjoy it while you can.

The harbour café’s ok if all you want is a belly filling, the restaurant is more interesting. I think they must use different chefs. But the place you want is no more than about 5 miles away. Don’t think Tripadvisor will allow me to mention its name. Just speak to the (very friendly) locals, or the Land Rover drivers, and you’ll find out. Don’t ask the cat, adorable though she may be!

The lifestyle here is relaxed, don’t expect to be able to snap your fingers (though the service is first class if you really do have a problem). But do a bit of wandering (particularly to nearby Hartland Point) and you’ll discover that things haven’t always been so relaxed – the people here have seen rough times in the past.

One of the things that always fascinates me is why they decided to build UP the slope instead of across the shore. Ask any local, ideally an old fisherman who has been there for years, they don’t know either. It’s steep! Fortunately it’s relatively easy to go down (and some of the views are awesome), and your hotel accommodation includes the price of as many Land Rover trips back up the hill as you want. You can even take a Land Rover downhill – but that would spoil the fun!

I love this place – totally “get away from it all”, be ready for that!

Room Tip: The Sail Loft - any of those rooms, room 17 in particular
4 Thank 454JamesH454
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Red Lion as you can see is right on the harbour. It's a lovely location for sitting, relaxing and letting time just drift by.
My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend (19th-22nd July) to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The staff at the hotel are wonderful. Really friendly and were always happy to help.
We stayed in room 6 which overlooked the harbour. It was nice and clean. Very small though. The bed was very comfortable. The bath was lovely and deep but there was no stand up shower, just a shower attachment in the bath. The bathroom floor needs some grouting between the tiles as some areas didn't have any.
We stayed on one of the hottest weekends of the year so far and although we had both the window in the bedroom and the bathroom open there wasn't any air circulation so was very warm in the room. When I asked if they had a fan one of the bar staff kindly had a look to see if he could find one but alas he couldn't. I feel the room rates are a little over priced seeing as the TV didn't work either.
The harbour can get a little noisy quite early and as we had the windows open due to the heat we didn't sleep that well, but we still had a lovely time.
We ate in the restaurant the first night and the meals were very nice. We then ate alfresco for the next two nights and the salad I had was delicious. Lots of it. The curry was a favourite with my husband as he had it 2 nights in a row.
The village is very pretty and VERY steep! wonderful views and very friendly staff in the various stops on our way down.
It was great that we could use our check-in slip from the hotel to get a lift from the Land Rover service from the hotel to the top of the village for free. It was £2.50 per person per trip otherwise. Our check-in slip also allowed us free entry into the visitors centre and village which would have been £6.50 each for us.
When we asked about the possibility of going out on a fishing trip she recommended John Glover (aka Ticker). We had a wonderful 2 hour trip out and were very happy with the amount of mackrell we caught. I definately had the lucky line ;o)
We had a lovely stay and would visit again.

Rochdale
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have just come back from a week in this delightful place. Our room was in the Sail Loft which has been converted with real style. Staff so friendly, all our meals delicious AND my birthday treat - the best massage ever from Em of Calming Quay Treatments. You can go to her picturesque little house or she will come to the hotel. Certainly worth going down that hill for!!!

Room Tip: All rooms both in the main hotel building and the Sail Loft have idyllic views,either of harbour or...
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night on 13 July 2013. We were allocated room 4 which arguably has the best view overlooking the sea as well as the harbour. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. We didn't book a table for dinner in the restaurant and we were told it was full anyway, that was probably just as well as the menu, for us, didn't offer a particularly good choice. We ate in the bar where the choice of menu to our mind was much better. The service was very good and the food was too.

There is limited parking space and we were lucky to find a slot. The only down side, and this has nothing to do with the hotel, was what I considered to be the self-opinionated man who drives the Land Rover shuttle service between the bay and the information centre. The route is a winding 1 in 5 descent of bout 400 yards. I was almost at the bottom when my path was blocked by the Land Rover. The driver refused to budge and insisted that I reverse all the way back up the hill. Well, after a few heated words he reluctantly gave way.

However don't let that put you off, just be firm.

wells, somerset
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Have just stayed at the lovely quaint hotel by the harbour in Clovelly called The Red Lion - Totally relaxing stay. We stayed in room 7 in the main building. Beautifully decorated and situated in the centre of the hotel, so fabulous views from the window. Staff were very welcoming and the wonderfully cheerful lady that served breakfast was a real pleasure to meet.
Food at the hotel was faultless and definitely more than you could eat for breakfast. We also tried the New Inn, half way up, for a meal which was perfect also. We had such a wonderful weekend, with lovely weather, we can't wait to go back - a total get away from everything break.
Also venture along the pebbled harbour way to see the waterfall and there is also a walk from the top of Clovelly through the woods if you feel inclined.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clovelly
New Inn
#1 of 9 in Bude
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!