“A hidden gem”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clovelly
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

A last minute decision to take my mum to see Clovelly (on the recommendation of a friend - phoned up at 10pm on a Friday night to book rooms for the Saturday. The drive down to the hotel parking was....er....quite steep and narrow (for those of us more used to driving on motorways), but was worth it. A rather old hotel with a more modern extension added recently - we stayed in rooms 1 and 6 in the older part. Both rooms were impeccably clean and welcoming. We dined in the restaurant in the evening - and it was possibly the best meal I've had in the past year - and I'm fussy! The chef certainly deserves a large plaudit. I'd certainly visit again, either staying in room 5 (which I think has a balcony), or in the newer extension. We visited at the end of March, and by midday the town was filling up with visitors - I expect the place would be so manic in the summer months. Evonne behind the bar / reception desk gets my vote for cheeriest / most friendliest person on site. Oh, and I loved how the owner came down to breakfast and introduced himself individually and had a bit of a natter to guests. Many other establishments could learn a lot from The Red Lion.

Room Tip: Room 5 has a lovely balcony I think!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SimBuc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

spent a single night at Clovelly recently, and would be back in a flash if I could. The hotel is the only hotel you can drive directly to and park outside in Clovelly, which is one of the cutest towns in England. Our daughter surprised us with a visit, so suddenly we had three for a night, not the double we had booked. No problems for reception, we were placed in the brand new units beside the old hotel which were pure luxury. The bathroom was a treat, heated floor, rain shower, branded toiletries and more. A traditional breakfast is served, which was more than adequate. With parking, free wifi, and the best position, I recommend this hotel to all.

Room Tip: ask for a high room for the view over the harbour
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnandcath
Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I only stayed here one night but was wishing I'd had longer here to explore this very pretty village set into the hillside. After a precarious and slightly worrying journey down a very steep, narrow lane leading only to the hotel car park, I was relieved to find a warm welcome and a lovely room with a view to die for.
I was also very happy to find an hotel which had sufficient electrical sockets, particularly next to the bed; so many times I find I can't plug my phone on anywhere near the bed, and as I use it as an alarm that causes irritation.
My only complaint would be the poor food; I had a meal in the bar (the restaurant is quite pricey) and was very disappointed. I had fish and chips and while the fish was ok, the chips were pale, undercooked and not appetising at all. They were still white rather than golden and that wasn't really surprising since my meal appeared within about 5 minutes of ordering it.
Less speed and a bit more care maybe?
Given that I had a knee problem and struggled up the stairs, some help with my bags would have been welcome; an offer came when we were almost at the top, slightly too late!
There is an air of quirkiness about this hotel, especially with one staff member who tagged the word 'sweetheart' onto every sentence to me and others... overall a good place to stay though and the room itself was delightful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Linda1892
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

We spent two nights at the Red Lion in Clovelly - we were there as part of a part group for a friend's birthday weekend getaway. Only us and one other couple from the group stayed at the Red Lion, whilst the rest stayed up the hill in a separate hotel.

The room was perfect and breakfast was superb. My husband loved the location, right on the beach, and the view from our bedroom window. As a group, all 28 of us spent the first night in the hotel's "snug" (a cosy room tucked to the side of the bar) and enjoyed a few drinks, great company, and lovely bar staff.

The problem occurred on the 2nd night: We had all gone up to the other hotel at the top of the village, for a friend's birthday dinner. After the party, we took the 10 minute walk down the hill to return to the Red Lion, only to find the key we were given upon our arrival did not open the front door and we were locked out. Having walked around the hotel a few times, searching for a way to get in, another of the hotel's guests appeared at the window. We kindly asked if they could let us in, showing them that we did have the keys, but they were not working, to which their response was "No! go and sleep in your car!" The drama that began at 1am, continued until 3am, with us still locked out of our bedroom. Thank goodness we had those other friends staying up the hill, as one of the men were able to come down the hill to help us out. He saw an open window and was able to climb up the side of the building, go through the bedroom down to the main lobby, and unlock the front door for us. We at last, 2 hours later, got to sleep.

The problem was that they had recently changed the lock on only our bedroom door, and had given the replacement key, which did not fit the front door.

The next morning, after a lovely breakfast, the manager was apologetic and was able to give us a discount. It was a lovely stay, overall, but perhaps a better explanation of the front door policy and installing a night bell is something the hotel should consider.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex M
South West England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Visited the Red Lion with family for a mothers day Sunday lunch. We live nearby and have eaten here before but would just like to say how nice the food was. It is not a michelin starred restaurant and does not claim to be but the food is good quality pub fare with excellent portion size. A great afternoon was had, good food, good company and a lovely view from the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rugbyfan53
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

Spent a long weekend at The Red Lion mid February and we had a wonderful time. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff with special thanks going to two in particular (they know who they are)! One of them forgets when it's time to go home and carries on working!!! We stayed in the Sail Loft and can honestly say it was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in. In fact, it wasn't a room, more of a suite and have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this beautiful location and Hotel. Very welcoming and like other reviewers, can't understand the negative comments about the food and attitude of staff. We had breakfast and dinner for 3 days/evenings and couldn't fault it. Fantastic food, fantastic staff. Finally, If you do visit Clovelly and you like owls, book some time with Owl Magic, (details on the website), a truly unforgettable experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

Let's face it, location is everything! Our room had a lovely harbour view, and was big enough for a double bed, a sofa, two chairs and a table as well as a fold out for our son. The bathroom was modern and clean. Unless all the rooms vary considerably, I am quite perplexed by others' reviews. The room was full of character with explosed beams and tilting roof. To be perfectly honest, I have slept in better beds, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Breakfast was fresh, swift and nice. We ate in the bar, and got what we expected: bar food. It's not a 5 star restaurant so don't expect 5 star food! The pie was nice, the chips were nice, the veges were probably frozen, but whatever! It's pub food!

All the staff we came across were genuine and very friendly. I'd go back, and I would recommend it for the experience of staying in Clovelly.

Room Tip: Room 9 was great.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Thurbonator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clovelly
New Inn
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
Yeoldon House Hotel
Yeoldon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Northam

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!