“Fabulous. Wish we could have stayed longer”
Review of Red Lion Hotel

Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clovelly
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous. Wish we could have stayed longer”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

What a fabulous location. Literally a stones throw from the beach, 20 yards away. Warm homely welcoming staff at a lovely hotel. The balcony on our room overlooked the harbour, sea and setting sun. What more could you ask for?
The choice and quality of the evening meal was fantastic, a great balance between local food and tradition. Simply great!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stunning location with amazing views shame about the Red Lion. I went in for a recent networking business meeting with a partner. The interior smelled of a gents toilets and the wine was unpalatable. One would think that an establishment in such an envious position might offer a good selection or at least an alternative to the sub standard non drinkable white wine on offer. Prior to my visit, I even suggested a meal there to some friends who live within 3 miles of this Hotel. They declined, both being left severely disappointed on different occasions by The Red Lion's lack of culinary expertise, "the food is awful", they said. Best option take a lavish picnic and your own bottle and enjoy the views from the harbour arm. At least then you are guaranteed quality fayre and are no left with a bad taste in your nose and mouth.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Halling
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We went to the Red Lion for our 21st Anniversary and from the moment we arrived were made to feel so welcome, I commented to my husband on our way home that it felt as if we were locals ! We stayed in room 4 which had the most stunning view , it was spotlessly clean and had everything you could ask for. Breakfast was superb and our evening meal very good the waitresses were all lovely as were the bar staff and the manageress Sally and her partner were so friendly . Clovelly and the Red Lion are very special places indeed !

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Stayed recently for one night and we were really really impressed.

After we made the initial booking, we decided we would like to take our dog. When we asked, they said this was no trouble at all and changed which room we would be in.

On arrival you drive down a very steep narrow road, now I know some people have wrote saying it is a silly, dangerous road. Yes, there is the possibility or danger, but we found it to be a nice little road that added to the anticipation of reaching the bottom and seeing the hotel.

The hotel is situated right on the waters edge, so the cars park on the beach facing out to sea. We checked in and were shown to our room. Due to taking the og we were given the one room with its own entrance. The entrance was off the cobbled street, up some really old steps. The room was fantastic and the view out over the harbour was as good as any I have ever seen.We had the evening meal and we both honestly thought it was the best meal we ever had. It was just perfect.

The next morning we had a lovely breakfast before having a walk on the beach to the nearby waterfall.

We would recommend the Red Lion to anybody, it was a fantastic night and such a break from the hustle and bustle of being in the middle of a town.

Will definitely be back at some point.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stayed over Christmas this year and got beck home yesterday (27/12/10). I don't normally post reviews on trip adviser but after reading some of the negative reviews on this site I feel compelled to.
From the time we arrived on 24/12/10 until we left yesterday we had a truly festive Christmas.
We knew what Cloveley would be like from descriptions on the Internet (and this site) and knew that the road down was steep (25%) Once down parking was more than adequate
We were given a glass (well several) of mulled wine when we arrived and from then things only got better.
The staff could not have been more helpful. The food was excellent - and the fish/crab etc was locally sourced (I know this because the supplier "ticker" was in the bar most nights)
Our room was good and the view over the harbor in the morning was great (seagulls a bit noisy though)
With respect to a previous entry my wife has limited mobility and we knew we would not be able to walk up to the village.
Our fellow guests really made what would have been a good time a great one.
Would we go again? Definately!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter S
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Just got back from a Friday and Saturday nght stay at the Red Lion. Like the previous reviewer, I'd read some of the negative reviews and wondered if I'd made a mistake booking the Red Lion for a weekend away for my fiance's birthday. I very rapidly realised that I hadn't made a mistake but had hit the Jackpot.

I couldn't recognise the place that was described in the negative reviews as the place where we stayed - our room was magnifiicent, with beautiful views on two sides over both the harbour and the open sea, it was very clean and the en-suite had a nice large shower. The staff were, without exception, friendly, courteous and helpful, and the food at breakfast, lunch and dinner was excellent, not just the fish (which was superb), but everything we tried.

The area is striking in its natural beauty and the coastal path was lovely to walk on the bright crisp autumn days we were blessed with. Clovelly itself is very nice indeed with a well stocked village shop that sold very nice pasties!

Of all the negative comments that I'd read, the one that struck me most was the crticism that the Red Lion wasn't a hotel but a pub with B&B rooms. I don't really understand the distinction personally, but if I had to make a comment I'd say it was an Inn, of significant historical interest and an abundance of character. If you want to stay in a modern hotel with any character sanitised out of it, then you probably shouldn't choose the Red Lion, but we liked it very much indeed.

It wasn't cheap, but it was very special, and my only complaint is that we had to leave!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danbash
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I recently stayed here on a saturday night with my father. We had a fantastic time.
Firstly, anyone who complains about the steep drive down to the hotel hasn't done ANY research. The whole point of Clovelly is the inacessability!!
All the hotel staff were helpful and friendly - even staying after hours to talk about life in this charmingly unusual village. The room was very clean and had all the little touches you would expect from a top quality pub with rooms.
As for the food, my FRESH THAT DAY loster was far tastier than those i have eaten at The Bellagio or Sandy Lane!!! Breakfast was equally good.
I really recommend this place for an "away from it all" delightful break.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank emmab74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clovelly
New Inn
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
Yeoldon House Hotel
Yeoldon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Northam

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!