We booked our stay through a Groupon Voucher deal which was £69 for 2 course evening meal and bed - Breakfast was extra at £10 per person. Groupon claimed the value of the hotel stay was £173 and we had it discounted to £69. I must say that in no way was it worth £173. I would have been asking for my money back but at the Groupon price it was just about worth it.
The staff were helpful and friendly but the rooms were very shabby. I also had been told that the hotel was undergoing refurbishment so expected the rooms to at least be fresh and clean. Ours certainly wasn't and the wallpaper had stains on it where someone had spilt a drink the bedding was well worn, however, the sheets and pillow cases were white and clean.
The bathroom left a lot to be desired with cracked tiles and bath panel and mould but the towels were white and clean.
The food was average and could have been a bit warmer but pleasantly served by the waiters.
Log fire was good but the place lacked atmosphere and had a mishmash of furniture with no particular style or theme.
Would visit Dovedale again but probably not this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Country House takes its name from the novel by Sir Walter Scott, with the oldest part of the building dating back to the 1830s, and enjoys a stunning location in the quaint Peak District village of Thorpe. The Country House has 11 acres of manicured gardens and grounds and the towering hill of Thorpe Cloud as a backdrop. A footpath leads directly from the house to the famous stepping stones on the River Dove, on the Derbyshire and Staffordshire border ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Peveril of the Peak Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Peveril Of The Peak
- Peveril Of The Peak Hotel Dovedale, Derbyshire, UK