“Super pet friendly hotel”

Camelot Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tintagel
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a last minute break and had a super time . We were travelling with. 4 dogs and could not have been made more welcome. We could also take our meals including extremely good English breakfast in the bar area with our dogs which was lovely. We stayed in pre refurb rooms which were perfectly adequate and views to die for. The lounge bar dining room areas all looked newly refurbished and were magnificent . I did not get the art work and did not think it fitted with the architecture of the building ; the butterflies were a bit of a giggle. We were made so welcome can't wait to return .

• Stayed: November 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,354)

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The Camelot Castle Hotel is a beautiful, grand, impressive building set in an absolutely stunning location. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished and our room was rather lovely and sparkly new. Very comfortable bed, toasty warm bedding and a gorgeous view. Huge colourful mixed medium canvases adorn the walls of every floor, with butterfies being a recurrent theme.

As for the food, the menu was respectable and well executed. Very generous portion sizes and the decor and ambience in the restaurant was rather lovely. Breakfast was also yummy and there was lots of it!

The icing on the cake for us was the very charming and rather lovely Ted Stourton, resident artist and co-owner of the hotel. This lovely gentleman invites residents into his private art studio to view and discuss his work. He also sang to us! Ok I'm aware this sounds a little odd but it was rather lovely. We both found his presence extremely soothing and he was very generous with his time.

If you are a fellow creative you will love this hotel and it will welcome you with open arms. If you're looking for a muse or inspiration you might very well find it here. A big thank you to everyone who made our stay so enjoyable.

Jo & Lisa, room 308 01/11/2013 :D

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My friend & I 'off-loaded': 1 very elderly mother, 2 children, 5 dogs & 1 cat in the morning. My eldest daughter 'organised' somewhere for my friend & I to stay in Cornwall ( preferably sea views) for two nights. We threw some things together & drove not knowing what to expect.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Camelot Castle, not knowing what to expect we were extremely surprised at location (spectacular), the 'team' welcoming, friendly & professional (exceptionally), the experience fabulous - a deep breath of fresh air not to be missed.

We did not want to leave but took with us; inspiration, great memories & a warmth seldom found fueling us. An experience we are delighted to have had. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm not one to write reviews, though I'll always check trip advisor before booking a place. I read camalots reviews and thought as I was only staying 1 night how bad could it be? How very wrong I was!
To start the rooms- filthy & tiny with porta loo's that are not only claustrophobic but so small you have to turn the shower off every 5 minutes to stop the whole room flooding!
We paid over £100 per room but were informed we would have to also pay for breakfast, wifi and the presence of our dog.
Not the end of the world, only the staff couldn't decide on the prices- first the dog was £5, two hours later he was £10 by checkout it had doubled into £20!
The wifi went from £7.50 to £15 for ONE night, when we questioned this the manager of the hotel explained that he could choose the price himself, he could give it for free but we should ask ourselves why he had decided to charge us £15?!?!
When we questioned his customer service and mind blowing lack of manners, and mentioned we'd be reviewing him on trip advisor he then threatened to report us to the a hotel board where we would be banned from other hotels in the UK!! At this point our jaws were on the floor! I have never been talked down to so appallingly in my life!
If it wasn't for the location this place would have closed years ago- let's help it on its way!

• Stayed: August 2013
69  Thank Rachaelsylvester
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Exquisite surrounding,perfect hosts and at tentative staff.We will return when refurbishment is complete,as rooms still require modernising..Cannot fault the views or the professionalism showed by both management and staff as first class.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the Camelot castle this October as part of a large group of 20 people.

Contrary to many reviews, we really enjoyed our stay. Great location, friendly staff, nice food/bar/restaurant.

Rooms are basic but nicely decorated and good views of the coastline.

It is ideally located for coast walks, (nice short cut down to the coast path if you can find it) although we only really discovered the pubs of Tintagel which were also very good :)

Overall, a great stay...

Thanks..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel for four nights in September and was first of all impressed by the location and feel of the main entrance to the Hotel, yes the building is a little odd but on the whole inside manged to pull of a certain appeal. After we had settled in and put bags away we decided to take a coffee and explore a little. We found lots of strange photographs of the Hotel owners with actors on the wall? In fact all over the walls. A shame really as the location and the pictures of the areas beauty would amplify the interior far more than the strange looking owner and his Wife accompanied by some celebrities? The walls are also covered with the Artwork of the co Owners artwork which is good but to the extent they cover the walls by no way again pays justice to the beauty of the area. In my mind very much a self indulged homage to the owners egos. The Rooms have been left behind a good 20 years. I would expect a Hotel in 2013 to be allot more up to date and looked after for the money (even is it is Cornwall) The rooms where cold, apparently the central heating was on but not working in our room, they replaced with a small heater. The bed was a big four poster which was nice but the mattress had defiantly seen its time! no good for my bad back. The shower/ Toilet pod reminded my of those awful travel motels in Europe for £25 a night. Cold feeling with tepid water in the shower. We did report to reception that the showers where not to hot, to which we were told the reason for this was as the hotel was full and the guest using the shower at once would result in a lower temperature. In my thinking they should do something about this having known this was the case? I haven't experienced this for a long time in a hotel since at least the 80's, not for a Hotel charging this amount for a room?

The Restaurant was also very under par for the money, breakfast was buffet style and items where dipped in grease and obviously very cheap. No love in preparing the breakfast. The Dinner was ok, but again nothing it is made to be. I have had better in a travel tavern on a number of occasion. I must add the food was all pre ordered not cooked to order so im not sure why the food wasn't capable of being that good. On a couple of nights to the Owner of the hotel joined the dinning room with his wife but rather than introduce himself and talk to his guests he sat there staring at the proceeding with a almost frighting face! my wife and I where almost disturbed by this. He was looking very oddly at the guests and seemed to call over the waiters now and again and order instructions to them?

All in all the Hotel is overpriced for the room we took and by no way value for the money, I wouldn't stay or eat here again. However the location and views from the window was spectacular. The staff at the Hotel were very pleasant and polite and I feel would have done and did do everything they where capable of doing. I think the downfall of this Hotel is down to the ownership. to much time spent worrying about the cleanliness of the Bentley on show outside and the polishing of their own egos and not enough time updating the heating and hot water system, looking after the kitchen staff and maybe listening to the Hotel guests. Could be a fantastic place to stay but really isn't up to much in today standard.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank Gareth_S31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintagel
Cornishman Inn Tintagel
23 mi away
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!