“A Great way to spend New Years Eve” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Camelot Castle Hotel

Camelot Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tintagel
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A Great way to spend New Years Eve”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We've just come back from a wonderful 3 day stay over New Years Eve at Camelot Castle, the staff were excellent and extremely accommodating, both on reception and in the restaurant. The owners are interestingly entertaining and deceptive in just how hard they work in the back ground at making the whole place tick. We stayed in one of the better rooms on the 3rd floor which helped to make the stay such as success.The food in the evenings was of a good quality and varied.
We will be going back for another short break during 2013.

Room Tip: If your children like dogs they'll love the hotel's dogs which they can be taken out for sho...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank osulls87
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Wow what a wonderful review and thanks for letting others know the reality of a few days at Camelot. Do let us know when you are coming back. It will be our pleasure to welcome you home.

The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Cornwall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

went for New Year's Eve. Wasn't aware there was anything going on for New Year so bit naff we were charged way over normal room tariff for a glass of champagne and a naff little band from the prehistoric past! Downstairs very beautiful and grand to be fair; view from our room amazing and bed very comfortable. However, shabby decoration; portocabin in the corner pretending to be an ensuite . . . bit like what you get in the middle of a field at a wedding reception type event. Don't know how anyone larger than a size 14 fitted in it to be honest!! Sink in the bedroom with kettle and TV plugs right next to it - definitely NOT the required 1 metre away!! Waited 45 minutes for our table - booked in for 9.15pm but didn't get in til 10pm!! Food very expensive (£49.95 a head and although we thought we didn't have to have the NY menu - it turned out we did!!) and not that good for what we paid!! Wine list in the bar non-existent . . . we went out and got our own. Staff tried really hard but communication a big issue. The bar staff had to write every drink you ordered down and sometimes didn't even know what you were asking for so you had to point it out on the menu!! Had more of a wine selection in the restaurant . . . by which point we'd lost the will to live and decided not to drink!! Having the owners parading pretentiously around and trying to engage us in conversation might be wonderful for some but we found it really annoying. Luckily we had a nice time just because it was great to get away and spend quality time with each other for a change!! Won't be going there again but is was definitely an experience and a memory created!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
30 Thank CornwallRainbow61
Hi, Our current web site was created in coordination with advertising and trading standards. All hotel electrical fittings meet statutory standards and have been verified. The vast majority of our guests feel that the website does not do the hotel justice and that it under presents the hotel and the experience. IE they get more than the expected in terms of value presented on line. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. But I would be remise in my duty to other guests reading this if I did not point out that there is are shades of intolerance and envy in your review. Exactly what the source of this is as far as you are concerned we cannot assist with as it sounds personal but it is a bit unfair to criticise people in the hospitality business for being hospitable. Pricing is a matter of opinion but again 97% of our customers feel that they get great value for money. The Management.

Travelers are raving about these Tintagel hotels

Saltash, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked this whilst overseas (we are UK residents!) and wanted a "get away from it all" experience, not too far from where we live to be able to relax and rejuvinate from our tour overseas. We have stayed in various "five star castles" across the UK and wanted an experience near to home. It was a joint birthday present for both myself and my husband and we were greeted by a lovely lady who showed us the downstairs public rooms which were being beautifully and lavishly decorated for xmas.

Our room was HUGE! It had a wooden 4 poster bed which was so comfortable and jolly difficult to get out of each morning!!! GORGEOUS Atlantic sea views. The only slight surprise was the "Super Pod-bathroom" however, the toilet flushed, the water was lovely and hot and never ran out! We did need extra pillows and these were brought to us within about 10 mins of our request.

We were offered the "Light box" opportunity but politely declined as it was not our "cup of tea" and we were not harassed or asked again. We would like to mention that the artwork we did see (especially the butterflies dancing) were lovely and really inspiring, even for "non artist folk"!!

We booked a 2 night stay for retreat and relaxation and good food and we enjoyed all of it!! We had a 5 hour walk on one day and a 2 hour walk on another, we loved the tolerant attitude to our muddy boots on our return from our stomping walks!!

The food in Irina's restaurant was cooked to perfection, beautifully presented and the attentiveness of the staff and their charming manner was second to none. For a quiet winter retreat, with good food, lovely people and a relaxed atmosphere with beautiful xmas decs we cant recommend it highly enough. Thank you all for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the full bathroom, not the pod!!!
1 Thank MrsJCW
John_m75, Owner at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
This is a great review. By all accounts the only thing that you missed out on was the Light Box.

For some people seeing the light box is the most magical experience in all of Cornwall and some say Europe.

Hope to see you again soon.

The Management
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Just got back from 3nights b&b, after booking we read some reviews on trip advisor and where quite worried about our trip and thought of cancelling, e-mailed our concerns and was told we would be offered a room of our choice but where assured of a nice room, we arrived and where meet by reception staff and where shown 2rooms we chose the sea view room which had already been allocated to us room 203 wonderful room great views comfortable and cosy. The bathroom was okay for us and served our needs we try not to spend our trips in the bathroom, we had dinner 1 night and could not fault the food or service we received, we meet the owners who where very friendly and welcoming as where all the staff who are very attentive and friendly , the hotel was very cosy and had great features. My wife liked the art work especially the butterfly art on the stair case she told ted the artist when she spoke to him, the breakfast was great, would we stay again yes we would , do we no the owners as some reviews say,no we don't but would recommend the hotel to friends. Thanks for the welcome and hopefully see you again.

Room Tip: Room 203 very cosy
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John_m75, Manager at Camelot Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Isn't it interesting how when one thinks for ones self and make one own evaluation of life how one is often validated for that and ones intuition is often correct.

There is no doubt that 97 percent of out customers are completely delighted with their experience at Camelot Castle we know this as we survey our guests on departure and of course enjoy meeting with them and speaking with them.

We are delighted to have met you and really look forward to seeing you again and welcoming your friends. This Christmas and New year our bookings and delighted customers were highest ever.

Why don't you come for valentines week its going to be very romantic. Also do book early for next christmas as I suspect that we will be completely sold out if pre bookings are anything to go by. It was a great pleasure to be of service to you. Warmest regards And thanks for and honest review. Ted says Hi. The Management.
East Wittering, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

The easiest way that I can write this review, is to summarise by category as follows:

Location:
Absolutely stunning, a truly wonderful spot and lovely scenery. I might add, albeit the gale force winds and rain for our 3 day stay. 5* (Cannot blame the owners for that)

Hotel & Building:
A bit tired to be honest. My wife and I were offered an upgraded room at the additional cost of £80 for our 3 night stop over. We elected to take this option due to the great atlantic sea view. It turned out to be a poor decision, this side was exposed to the weather front, and we had a cold draft from start to finish. The windows and door fittings were not airtight, I think that this level of neglect is sub standard and unacceptable.To watch tv from your bed was uncomfortable, because the tv (37") was placed on a sideboard roughly 12 feet away, and at right angles to the way the bed faced. Good place to get a crick in the neck, especially with the accompaying draft. OK so you could sit at the table on upright chairs. Quite frankly the table and chairs are a waste of space, some comfortable seating would have been better. A video and a DVD player are available to guests, but in our room the DVD wasn't connected. Didn't bother complaining, I think the owners although exuding a "we value you" personna, don't really care, unless that is, you have "invested" your money into some paintings. I feel as though they stole my £80.
Oh and about the paintings, well, I am not an art expert, but I found them garrish and bright and they spoiled the attractvely patterned wall linings. Is this really art?
The single biggest turn off for me, was the ostentatious parking of the Bentley (don't ya know) right in the entrance to the hotel. How boorish! They don't seem to realise that many of their guests found it funny. What kind of statement is that? to park your Bentley in the path of arriving guests.

Staff:
Terrific service level in general, staff are customer focussed and helpful. They appear to have been well trained, bordering on brainwashed. I lost count of the number of times I was informed about the Light Show!!! I suppose egos must be satisfied though. As I said, the owners are outwardly friendly and welcoming, credit to them for effort, and customer centred trained staff employed even if its all a bit false. Agata is worth her weight in gold, very hard working and helpful.

Restaurant and Bar.
Expensive! Drinks at the bar are well above average price wise, and food too. Example, a decent pub in the village offers Cheese and pickle sandwich for £4,95 and comprises 4 generous slices of bread plus side salad and sliced red onion if desired. At Camelot the price is £6,95 for 2 slices, but served with chips (presumably to fill you up) and less salad.
I had 3 bad experiences in the kitchen:-
1) At breakfast I asked for my fried eggs to be lightly turned but to be runny inside. I received cardboard eggs, i.e. over done to the extent of brown edged. Not good.
2) One dinner I ordered cornish beef medallion, medium. I think that what I received was close to cremated.
3) The last night, we entered the dining room at 1905 hrs, were promptly served i.e. orders taken and 1st course served. 30 minutes after finishing the first course, we still awaited the main course. In the meantime several people were already eating desert. (Most had arrived after us) Only after I got up and made a subtle enquiry to the main waiter did we get our main course, exactly 1 hour after entering the restaurant. This is less than world class, and totally unacceptable. I was offered a free drink on the house which I declined.

In summary, I do not think that I would recommend Camelot to anyone, neither would I return. It was ok for a one off, but very expensive, and less than average. I have travelled globally, and have stayed in theme hotels elsewhere. This is not up to standard and IS NOT value for money.

NOTE: Whilst my separate ratings below average out at more than 2 star, I cannot rate the hotel overall as a 3 because of the overall disappointment and below average experiences.

Room Tip: 1. Choose a room on the leeward side if you stay here. 2. If you are a light sleeper, do not stay...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
29 Thank jonnosa
The Fingerprints of Envy and Intolerance are sadly all over this review. And it is not a fair reflection of this hotel. Its actually quite an injustice on the hard working staff of the hotel and to the other business owners in Tintagel who in part survive in the winter here from much of the trade that Camelot Castle brings to the local area to so misrepresent what an experience at Camelot Castle is really like just because of some misdirected envy or the intolerance of the creativity of another. Of course every one is welcome at Camelot Castle and we open our doors to all. Over nintey seven percent of our customers over the Christmas and New years were delighted. We had more guests that ever before over that period with many many returning customers. We suggest that when reading such reviews one should be highly suspicious of the motives and in some cases identities of the negative reviewers on this site. And if one IS an intolerant envious individual for whom the very idea of inspiring the creativity of millions in a magical location is upsetting. It might be best if you did indeed stay somewhere else. Perhaps we can find a hotel or a cruise ship where all the nit pickers and complainers can go on holiday together. The Management.
Devon UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at Camelot Castle Hotel, 21st - 24th Dec, where I took my husband to celebrate out 20th anniversary and also his birthday and really enjoyed my stay. It was our first visit and we found all the staff friendly, helpful and attentive, especially Agata on reception.
The accommodation was lovely, in fact we were upgraded on arrival, as I had chosen one of the rooms with a 4 poster bed and shower, we actually got the 4 poster room with the jacuzzi bath.
There was an evening when the local Tintagel Male choir attended for Christmas Carols. The locals arrived too and were offered complimentary mulled wine and mince pies, to gather around the huge Christmas tree in the hall, by the amazing round table.
The food was lovely, we ate at the Hotel 2 out of 3 nights, the 3rd being at a local pub ( I preferred the Hotel!) There were roaring fires and the whole atmosphere was very Festive.
There were a few notices stating part of the hotel was being refurbished - though there were no obvious signs of this.
Ted's artwork is everywhere, and is very modern compared with the rest of the building which is decorated luxuriously and has much more of an olde Arthurian feel about it. I could take some serious ideas for the decor in my own house, with opulent curtains, comfy sofas and bedding for the 4 poster! I think a suit of armour would be a perfect addition for Camelot Castle and some older paintings, with maybe a separate huge room or a few floors for Ted's own personal gallery...though perhaps that is what the renovation is for ?
The main rooms downstairs were beautiful, warm, comfy and very well presented. The dining room had stunning views out over the headland to the sea - mostly obscured by the rain, howling gales and sea mist! Unfortunately the weather was horrendous, we quite possibly picked the worst weekend of the year to go away! However that gives us the perfect excuse to return again in better weather next year.
Thank you for a wonderful few days away. I would definitely recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with 4 poster and jacuzzi so cannot comment on any others, but I would definit...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow, This is the Camelot Caste Experience described accurately well an honestly. We loved the Local Christmas Carol Concert too it was wonderful attended by hotel guests and many of our friends from the village and their children. Glad you loved the new food created by our brigade of chefs too. The new refurbishment is ongoing and thankfully Ted's work continues to sell worldwide at record levels. Ted's art sales are reinvested in part back into this Historic building to help restore it. So thank god that people do love his art. Camelot Castle is an ongoing project our goal is to restore this beautiful old building to its former glory this last year we did three main reception rooms all the outside windows on the front of the building all the drain pipes, landscaped the historic gardens and quite a lot of work in each of the bedrooms to modernise. We are so blessed to have Ted who is now with out question now of the worlds greatest living artists with his studio here as on never know what beauty is going to come out of his studio. Take a look at some of the videos on our web site about the LIGHT BOX at Camelot Castle and you will see how emotionally touched his collectors are by the beauty that they see in his studios. Why don't you come back for Valentines week book now as we have some great deals I think its going to be a very romantic time here.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed here for 2 nights on a murder mystery weekend. Ideal agatha christie type venue.
Love this place- even tom cruise nade an arrival by helicopter- amazing time. Amazing service, food and very clean rooms.
Will be back

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Andy, What a great pleasure it was to have you to stay. Everyone is always welcome at Camelot Castle and one can arrive here all sorts of ways. Helicopter is just one of them. Let us know if you would like to arrive by helicopter and we can arrange that for you. It is exciting the some of the biggest Celebrities in the world come here to experience Camelot Castle. I think the fact that many people feel that Ted Stourton is the Worlds greatest Living artists and that his studios are here is adding to the excitement and anticipation of a Trip to Camelot Castle. Do come and see us again and keep spreading the word. Also make sure you sign up for our email updates on our web site and we will let you know when we have some fun events planned. Many of the top Celebrities in the world like to attend them. Last year was our best ever but this year will be even better. See you soon. The Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintagel
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Longcross Hotel & Gardens
Bossiney House Hotel
Bossiney House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Tintagel

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!