“Best ever wedding anniversary at Camelot Castle”

Camelot Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tintagel
Reviewed November 23, 2011

My wife and myself went to stay at Camelot Castle for our wedding anniversary but we have had thoughts about it over the months as it can be a little more in price then your average hotel or B&B,
Anyway I wanted to treat my wife to something special so I booked a classsic four poster room as our little treat but little did i know what a massive treat we would be in for, from the moment we walked into the castle we were welcomed like a king and queen, there was a lovely lady who greeted us both & showed us all around the ground floor of the castle and told us some really interesting history of camelot castle, now if like me your thinking shell we go eat in town where it may be a little cheaper in one of the lovely local pubs around the area please let me stop you there!! "Dont" instead try the castle restaurant the food was to die for we enjoyed every bite and once again the staff were in a class of there own when it comes to knowing how to treat people, also the restaurant surroundings and art are something to see indeed.
Now you may see a few bad feedbacks about camelot castle on trip advisor but trust me "I DO NOT TELL LIES!!" I always give an honest review about my stay at any place i have stayed at be it a bad review or a good one, I have stayed in alot of hotels and even a castle or two which you can read about in my other reviews but none come close to the lovely night we had at camelot and i would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at camelot for such a lovley lovely evening.

Special Thanks to Ted, cheers mate you opened my eyes where once i was blind and made an art lover out of someone who does not have a clue about art :)

Alan & Sally

Reviewed November 22, 2011

My Good Lady recently treated me to a 3 day break at the Camelot Castle Hotel. (1st week of November),. Whilst the weather was not brilliant (we expected that) we did not expect the level of service we received from their very friendly and helpfull staff.

The hotel was quiet, being out of season but we felt that all of the staff really cared about makiong sure we enjoyed our stay. the hotel is undergoing some refurbishmnent but this was hardly apparent, no noise or disturbance.

Food was excellent and the room was cosy. Ive seen some comments on the "small" en suite. My View is that they have dojne an excellent job of fitting in an En Suite and the room was easily large enought to lose the space without feeling too small.

Some of the hotel is looking a little tired but we will certianly be returning to see the new decor some time in the future.

Tintagel ,itself was pretty well closed so any winter visitors need to either enjoy the spectacular views and walks in and around the village or be prepared to travel.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Booked this on a whim. On arrival had an immediate upgrade to a 4 poster bed - the room is a little bare - but the 4 poster more than made up for it. The staff were superb, polite, kind, and prompt. Even my bag of crisps was served on a platter.

Would recommend this to everyone. Ted Stourton's art is magical - we absolutely loved it.
The whole experience turned a "got to get away" feeling into a very special weekend

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We took up the off season midweek stay offer at this hotel and had a really great few days.
The location is splendid, set on an outcrop adjacent to the ancient Tintagel Castle. We found the hotel to be very grand, interesting, delightful & warm with the friendliest staff we have encountered in all our travels. We chose to stay in a 'sea view' room and I must say that I could easily have spent the entire time gazing from my window - really magnificent - and the sunsets !....The bathroom facilities were just a little on the small side but, that said, it was perfectly adequate & afterall, I didn't chose my break on the basis of spending much time in there. Breakfasts and evening meals served in a splendid restaurant area...we found an evening meal there to be a little expensive (to be expected)..but a truly wonderful evening.
From the hotel we ventured to 'The Eden Project' (about 50 mins drive), Boscastle, Newquay and The Jamaica Inn..all within easy distance. We've not long returned home and already feel a little sad to be gone. A wonderful few days, and a really heartfelt 'THANK YOU' to all the staff at this hotel, for whom nothing seems to be too much trouble. Hope to see you all again in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Firstly, we looked at this venue for our wedding a few years back, but never got around to viewing it as we found another venue that had a tad more history to it, which is what we wanted for our wedding. Camelot Castle was built in the 1920's so anyone looking for a medieval castle you will be disappointed as IT ISN’T MEDIEVAL AND HAS NO LINKS TO KING ARTHUR AT ALL.

I booked our trip to Camelot as an anniversary break, so we were looking for something with a bit of something more than just the norm.

Once booked my husband then started to look up the hotel and discovered lots of very negative reviews on trip adviser and other places and we were terrified. My Husband felt that the reviews on Trip adviser that had only ever done 1 review and made it sound wonderful were false reviews, he thought he saw a pattern. We considered cancelling our booking and going elsewhere. So I called Camelot Castle to discuss our concerns. I spoke to a lovely lady who confirmed that the 4 poster room we had booked was one that hadn’t been upgraded and did indeed have the pod bathrooms we had heard so much about. She was very helpful in explaining that some rooms have been upgraded and when we arrive we could look at other rooms if we were not happy with the one we were given. So we thought great, let’s go let’s try it and if awful we can leave, before we have settled into any room.
We arrived at the same time as a massive Coach party and the lady who I had spoken to on the phone was on reception and gave us a quick tour of downstairs and then gave us 2 keys, one that was the 4 poster room, the other a deluxe double sadly they no longer had any deluxe 4 poster rooms. We went first of all to the 4 poster room. It was massive the furniture was old but we love that. However the Pod (bathroom) we didn’t like very much. It was ok, but not as special as the rest of the room or the view of the sea and the ruins of Tintagel. So we headed off to the deluxe room. It was perfect it still had a sea view but not of the ruins. The bathroom was lovely a lovely big bath and a separate shower and loads of space. Again the furniture was old hard wood (lovely for us) the bed was new and very comfortable and the pillows were lovely thick feather pillows. The window showed us a side on view of the sea and the moors. You could hear the sea crashing against the rocks… fantastic so we opted for this room which was cheaper by £40.00 per night than the 4 poster room.

Again we had read bad reports about the restaurant, but decided after the long day it would be nice to just stay at the hotel. We could not fault the meal in any way at all. IT WAS GOOD WHOLESOME FOOD, nicely presented, it had good flavour and was actually so nice we went back the night after. Ok with the 2 soft drinks we had it did come to £57 something, they do add a 12% service charge and we discussed between us about removing it. However the waiters were good, they did not rush you, the setting was just right, they showed an interest in what we had done that day and gave us hints on what we planning the day after, which was actually really beneficial to our day. So in the end we decided the £5ish added to each meal was acceptable. We would normally try to tip about 10% if we are pleased with the meal and service.

We can’t comment on the Breakfast as we never made it down in time as it was only served between 8.30 and 9.30.

The coach Party ate together in a separate room, I am not sure what they had or if they were as happy as the rest of us were.

The art, well, it is different, in fact some of it made me smile, some of it made me feel sick. However, think about it, if you owned a Hotel and you were an artist, surely you would want to display your own work for everyone to admire? Some of the pieces were massive, just think how much that would cost to buy if you were buying someone else’s work? In our room we had 4 pictures, all very different it gave us something to talk about. We have been in corporate Hotels that have the same pictures in every room….. BORING!

There were some odd things, when you think about it, the big wooden replica of the round table….mixed in with new modern art, and the carpets getting a little tatty, it sort of doesn’t go but it did. The butterflies seemed to be a big part of the art. I liked the massive pictures in the restaurant; they actually looked ok in there. However I hated the smaller ones with the butterflies and clam shell with the pearl. The lift was fantastic, again, it was an older lift it worked fine and yes if you had kids with you, you would need to tell them to keep their hands inside and not put through the holes in the security door.

Not once were we invited to the light box room nor did anyone try to talk about religion to us. They allowed us to enjoy our time without intruding.

The only things I can say that I feel let the hotel down are very superficial. All it needs is a bit of extra love and the refurbishments finished and it would be perfect. The windows in our room were dirty, there was a small amount of mould on the tiles around the very bottom of the shower, the paint work on the corridor side of the doors is an old purple sort of colour and we had a look around the other areas on our floor and the communal bathrooms really could be up dated. All very superficial but none of it took away from the joy we had in our stay. We are hoping to go back at some point as we really did have a great stay.

To sum it up, I think it is great, it’s different and a little bit eccentric and we loved it! I have tried to be fair in all I have said and if you want a good room go for the Double Deluxe!

1  Thank kazanne68
Reviewed November 17, 2011

just come back from a 3 night stay at Camelot castle and quite honestly it was a magical experience.The location,hotel and staff were absolutely brilliant.My wife and i have never been in a hotel with such magnificent views and the friendlyness of the staff was lovely to experience.The hotel itself has such wonderfull character that we would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed November 16, 2011

We had a lovely time. Best of all my dog (who goes everywhere with me) was made to feel very welcome as well as us and was allowed to stay in the bedroom with us. The room we stayed in had beautiful views of the atlantic and the old Tintagel castle. We had a nice four poster bed which was comfortable. Tea and coffee in the room and warm as toast at night. The staff were very attentive and kind. Can't speak for the food as we spent a lot of time walking and ate in the nearby King Arther's arms. We were lucky with the weather even though its November. Beware very strong winds on the cliffs. Over all a beautiful location with fantastic walks. 1st time i have ever stayed in a hotel let alone a castle...felt very special.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintagel
Atlantic View Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Austell
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to Camelot Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!