“Even better than I remember!”
Review of Michael House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tintagel
Michael House
Ranked #11 of 24 Tintagel B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Even better than I remember!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am lucky enough to have just returned from a long weekend at Michael House, and it is even better than I remembered it to be! I went with my partner two years ago and as we loved it so much we had to go back.
Vanessa and Simon are very gracious hosts, and Vanessa's breakfast is plentiful and delicious! Besides my grandmother, she makes the best scrambled eggs I have ever had, and her homemade bread is out of this world. There is so much choice that even the pickiest of eaters will leave the table feeling satisfied.
Our room was large, spacious and very clean, and it looked like it had been recently decorated. We stayed in the room at the back of the house on this visit, and whilst the rooms at the front do have a dramatically beautiful view of the rolling hills down to the sea, we also really enjoyed the view of the green hillside out of the back of the house. Our room also had a tv, although we never turned it on.
As ever, Treknow is a great home-base for exploring Cornwall, and we're looking forward to hopefully going back again next year!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
nessien0ra, Owner at Michael House, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and plan to come again. We have been decorating recently, the bathroom you were using has been revamped, as well as both en-suite bedrooms.

I am delighted you enjoyed the breakfast and scrambled egg in particular! We love to have the smell of freshly baked bread (from the breadmaker, I do not get up at 5am I'm afraid!) wafting up the stairs in the mornings.

I think we are situated in a good place for seeing many wonderful parts of Cornwall such as Port Isaac, made famous by Doc Martin and the Fisherman's Friends, Boscastle, and other coastal places, as well as the rugged drama of Bodmin Moor. We love to see the huge flocks of starlings in the winter months, as they roost in the woodlands around Rough Tor (pronounced Row, as in argument, Tor!). Of course, the main attraction here is the coastline, Trebarwith Strand is a fabulous beach at low tide, and dramatic at high tide, the coastal path is the best way to get to know the area. Of course, there is a famous castle ruin just up the road as well...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We have just had the chance of quick visit to North Cornwall with a night at Michael House - and thoroughly recommend it.

The house is lovely and well cared for, with good taste obvious in the decoration, furnishings, and art works. Our room was great, with wonderful views out to the coast and spacious bathroom. We also had use of the comfortable sitting room.

Vanessa and Simon are welcoming and professional, making sure we had what we needed. The food was fantastic, both evening meal and breakfast - as vegans this was a great treat for us, and tempted us into eating way more than we should have done! We still managed a couple of trips down to Trebarwith Strand, a lovely beach which is quite sizeable at low tide and with stunning cliffs to each side.

We hope to be back there before too long - both the house and the area are well worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
nessien0ra, Owner at Michael House, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so pleased that you had a good time at Michael House.

We have been doing quite a lot of decorating recently, both room one (now 'hessian'!) and room two (now a muted lavender) have been painted, and the bathroom for room three also. There is always more we hope to do, and I will add some photos of the rooms soon.

My plan from now on is to reply to all reviews, we really appreciate people taking the time to write them.

Thank you again.

Vanessa
Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Just returned from Micheal House and it was absolutely fantastic, Vanessa and Simon were wonderfully welcoming without overdoing it, the room was beautiful, with a bath and a great view over the sea, and the food was just sublime, I am really glad we chose to stay there and we will definitely be going again. The location is also great, this morning we walked down to the stunning Trebarwith Strand Beach in about 20 minutes.
My top tip is to try the Vanessa's chocolate torte, it is heavenly.
John and Jo.

Room Tip: We had room number 1, overlooking the sea, and it was excellent.
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I recently had a three-day break at Michael House and throroughly enjoyed it despite rather disappointing weather. The house itself is beautifully located with stunning views to the north coast. It is really comfortable and homely but also most tastefully furnished and decorated, and our room at the front had fantastic views, as did the en-suite bathroom. A bath with a view! We took advantage of Vanessa and Simon's off-peak 'three for two' deal, which meant we had three nights B&B plus evening meal for the price of two. This was a real bargain as the food is wonderful. At breakfast there is a huge variety of goodies from cereals, fresh fruit salad and yogurts to a full English, veggie or vegan-style. A freshly-baked loaf appears too every morning. The choices of food for the evening meal were amazing and a very nice touch that guests are invited to choose their preferred dishes. Everything is freshly prepared with absolutely no short-cuts, even down to the freshly-baked rolls. We loved the vegetarian sushi, the carrot and coconut soup, the vegetable satay, chocolate pots .....well, everything really! The portions were very generous and I'm afraid I overdid it on occasions! I'm vegetarian but my husband isn't so I can assure non-veggies, that you will love the food here as he did.

The other important thing to say is that Vanessa and Simon are the perfect hosts: from the moment you arrive, you are made to feel you are welcome guests in their lovely home and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Treknow is a great place to explore this part of Cornwall: we came by train and bus and it's perfectly possible to combine walking with bus trips to nearby places like Port Isaac and Boscastle, as well, of course, as nearby Tintagel.

We hope to return in the not-too-distant future.

Room Tip: I'd recommend either of the two front rooms as the views to the sea are spectacular. and both ha...
Devon
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed at Michael House for 3 nights and received a very warm welcome from Vanessa and Simon - and later from their dogs and cats too! Convenient location for visiting Tintagel or walking the SW Coast Path - they have maps you can borrow. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable with a large private bathroom and great views over fields towards Trebarwith Strand and the sea. Breakfast was excellent with fresh fruit, cereals, soya yoghurt, home made bread, fruit juice, choice of hot drinks and "The Full Michael" - a cooked vegan breakfast consisting of sausage, beans, mushrooms, tomato, scrambled tofu and rosti. The evening meals were outstanding in taste and presentation and would not look out of a place in a top restaurant. Sometimes we chose what we wanted and sometimes we opted for a surprise. Vanessa was very helpful and couldn't have been a better host.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I have just spent a lovely weekend at Michael House with my partner. We had a fabulous time, enhanced by our host's inviting presence. Breakfast and supper were enjoyed looking out to the sea, in a relaxed, welcoming room. Vanessa's cooking was delicious and it was so difficult to choose our evening meal, that we simply asked for a 'surprise'! The carrot and coconut soup was amazing, followed by nut roast and roast veg, topped off with my favourite - apple crumble. Evey dish had interesting additonal flavours leading to many a happy sigh of contentment!

If you a dog lov er Vanessa is happy to introduce you to her friendly tribe, otherwise there is no sign of them to intrude if you would rather not say hello!

Michael House is in a beautiful location and within a few minutes walk to the coastal path, where you can enjoy the stunning views as you walk to Tintagel or Port Isaac. It is an area full of delight and interesting places to explore, best taken at a leisurely pace.

Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed at Michael House for a fortnight last month and I have to tell you how impressed I was with the place, the food, and the lovely owners.

Michael House is situated just outside of Tintagel in North Cornwall, a mystical place with connections to King Arthur (but don't let that put you off :D) and the most wonderful coastal walks close by. The seas and coast are beautiful and rugged. Head on down to Trebarwith Strand, the nearest beach, and spend some time enjoying the view before a lazy stroll back up the hill for the evening meal (if you choose to have it.)

For vegans: do check out the Pengenna Pasties shop in Tintagel as their pasties are marked as vegan and are the biggest pasty I've ever eaten.

The room was bright, quiet, and pleasant. It had it's own TV (digital broadcasting box), kettle, tea making equipment etc. I didn't have the en-suite but the bathroom on the next floor up was all mine, and with absolutely lovely view from the top floor out across the clifftops.

The food, oh the food :) Breakfast was supplied everyday and for me as a vegan was perfect: the vegan fry up is a great way to start the day, with freshly made bread, scrambled tofu, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, rosti. Very om nom nomable as they say.

Wi-fi included which was great for me to stay in touch with friends.

Vanessa and Simon, the owners are lovely folks, friendly and full of local knowledge, always willing to talk even when they're busy, but are just as happy to give you the space you need if you're not inclined to natter.

Oh, and the cats are sooo sweet.

Would I go again? Yes. Would I recommend it to others? YES.

See you again sometime in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front look out to the clifftops at Trebawrwith Strand, the rooms at the back look o...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintagel
Atlantic View Hotel
#5 of 24 in Tintagel
The Harlyn Inn
The Harlyn Inn
#25 of 55 in Padstow

Been to Michael House? Share your experiences!