“Relaxing visit with a warm welcome and great food”
Review of Michael House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tintagel
Michael House
Ranked #10 of 24 Tintagel B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed at Michael House for 3 nights and received a very warm welcome from Vanessa and Simon - and later from their dogs and cats too! Convenient location for visiting Tintagel or walking the SW Coast Path - they have maps you can borrow. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable with a large private bathroom and great views over fields towards Trebarwith Strand and the sea. Breakfast was excellent with fresh fruit, cereals, soya yoghurt, home made bread, fruit juice, choice of hot drinks and "The Full Michael" - a cooked vegan breakfast consisting of sausage, beans, mushrooms, tomato, scrambled tofu and rosti. The evening meals were outstanding in taste and presentation and would not look out of a place in a top restaurant. Sometimes we chose what we wanted and sometimes we opted for a surprise. Vanessa was very helpful and couldn't have been a better host.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

I have just spent a lovely weekend at Michael House with my partner. We had a fabulous time, enhanced by our host's inviting presence. Breakfast and supper were enjoyed looking out to the sea, in a relaxed, welcoming room. Vanessa's cooking was delicious and it was so difficult to choose our evening meal, that we simply asked for a 'surprise'! The carrot and coconut soup was amazing, followed by nut roast and roast veg, topped off with my favourite - apple crumble. Evey dish had interesting additonal flavours leading to many a happy sigh of contentment!

If you a dog lov er Vanessa is happy to introduce you to her friendly tribe, otherwise there is no sign of them to intrude if you would rather not say hello!

Michael House is in a beautiful location and within a few minutes walk to the coastal path, where you can enjoy the stunning views as you walk to Tintagel or Port Isaac. It is an area full of delight and interesting places to explore, best taken at a leisurely pace.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed at Michael House for a fortnight last month and I have to tell you how impressed I was with the place, the food, and the lovely owners.

Michael House is situated just outside of Tintagel in North Cornwall, a mystical place with connections to King Arthur (but don't let that put you off :D) and the most wonderful coastal walks close by. The seas and coast are beautiful and rugged. Head on down to Trebarwith Strand, the nearest beach, and spend some time enjoying the view before a lazy stroll back up the hill for the evening meal (if you choose to have it.)

For vegans: do check out the Pengenna Pasties shop in Tintagel as their pasties are marked as vegan and are the biggest pasty I've ever eaten.

The room was bright, quiet, and pleasant. It had it's own TV (digital broadcasting box), kettle, tea making equipment etc. I didn't have the en-suite but the bathroom on the next floor up was all mine, and with absolutely lovely view from the top floor out across the clifftops.

The food, oh the food :) Breakfast was supplied everyday and for me as a vegan was perfect: the vegan fry up is a great way to start the day, with freshly made bread, scrambled tofu, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, rosti. Very om nom nomable as they say.

Wi-fi included which was great for me to stay in touch with friends.

Vanessa and Simon, the owners are lovely folks, friendly and full of local knowledge, always willing to talk even when they're busy, but are just as happy to give you the space you need if you're not inclined to natter.

Oh, and the cats are sooo sweet.

Would I go again? Yes. Would I recommend it to others? YES.

See you again sometime in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front look out to the clifftops at Trebawrwith Strand, the rooms at the back look o...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2011

the house is in a lovely location and the owners were lovely, welcoming pleasant people.

Our room was run down although clean there were holes in the walls and paint peeling off was really in need a face lift. the bed was comfortable. the view from our window was lovely. we had tea and coffee making things in the room which was nice, if milk packets had been provided but we did find ourselfs with no milk a couple of times as we had to keep asking for fresh milk and it was not put in the room ready! (ok if the owners would be in all day , we found they wernt ) we also found that hot water and heating was not readily available when we wanted it , after coming back from days out in the cold rain our room was cold and we had no hot water , had to wait till owners got back to put water/heating on, to then find out still had to wait for tank to heat to then find other guests had then used water !
Our bathroom was huge and it was nice to have a lovely big bathroom with seperate bath and shower !

food yes was veggie and there was lots of variety to choose from, the portions were small and felt hungry still after dinner. I also felt that each person got different sized dinners, in respect of portion sizes as one dinner i definatly got more than my husband did .
i felt that the breakfast and dinner task for the owners was an overwelming feat where food could not all be served at a good standered to all guests at the same time (max 6 guests at house)
chocolate pots were amazing!

the guest house offers free entery to the monkey sanctuary which was a lovely perk and the ownes are clear animal lovers , that being evident in allowng pets to stay at the house with you ! although they do state that one room in particular is a totally pet free anti allergy room i was very dissapointed to find out that the room which they claim is animal free was actually used by someone who was keeping a dog.

i definatly had higher expectations for this place and feel sad to have to write this review, however with a few minor changes and a keener eye to detail this could have been a very different experience .

Room Tip: 1 room is double with tv and bathroon toilet seperate from room 1 room double with big bathroon sep...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
nessien0ra, Owner at Michael House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at Michael House. I am sorry you were disappointed with your break, and was a tad surprised to read your review, as one of you had put 'Lovely weekend, beautiful views and tasty food! Look forward to future visits.' in the visitor's book when you left.

I will try to respond to the thought provoking concerns you raised:

We are planning to redocorate room two over the coming quieter months. There is a small area around the window where there is a little paint peeling. There are no holes in the walls, there are a couple of small areas of torn wallpaper, also around the window.

Apologies that the cartons of milk had run out that we normally put in the rooms. I often put little flasks of milk, soya or dairy in the rooms, and should have done so. We plan to get a small fridge to put in the sitting or dining room, that guests can store their own things in if they wish and in which we can ensure milk etc is always available.

It is essential that we go out at times! Whether this be to walk the dogs, shop for the guesthouse, eat a meal out, or whatever, I'm sure you understand that it would be impossible to always be here! That is why we make sure guests have keys available.

Regarding the hot water, unfortunately we cannot have the system on all day, unless in the very depths of a cold winter. You wanted a bath around 4pm I think, and the system was just coming on, after the hot water had been used in the morning. I fully understand your desire to have a bath after a cold and wet day out, and at 7 months pregnant, and did make sure it was on all day the following day. I will put a note in the rooms asking guests to request the heating/hot water go on early if they plan to have a bath during the day. Many hotels and guest houses/B and Bs just have showers, and some even request guests do not return during the day! Many guests here comment on how delighted they are that there is a bath, and I am proud we have them. There was also an electirc shower in your bathroom.

I am surprised that you found the portions of food small. I hear many comments that people are almost too full after a meal, I would happily have given you more had you asked for it, but do understand this might be uncomfortable to request with other guests present. Perhaps I was not properly appreciating that you are of course, 'eating for two', and will remember this with any future expectant mums. Regarding the 'overhwelming feat' of producing the meals, I would hate to get complacent about serving the food, and always want the meals to be as fresh as possible, so this sometimes may mean a short pause between courses etc. I tend to stagger the breakfasts when we are full, as cooking a variety of meals, rosti, mushrooms, sausage, beans and tomatoes, as well as any of poached, boiled, fried or scrambled egg or scrambled tofu, is just not possible on our cooker for six people at once! I always cook the meals to order and prefer to have them staggered and fresh and with loads of variety and options available.

Glad you enjoyed the chocolate pots.

The issue of the pet free room is an interesting one and has set me thinking. The logistics did not make it possible to do things differently on that one off occasion. We have turned people away who want to come with pets when only the 'pet free' room was available, but only about once has anyone sought the pet free room because of allergies. I think people with severe allergies would avoid Michael House as we have so many animals here, albeit ours are not around the house unless invited. As you said, the rooms are clean, you were in a room we allow pets in. Therefore, the way forward is to simplify things and make all rooms dog friendly. We cannot be all things to all people and have perhaps tried too hard to be so.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Running Michael House is not something we do to make a lot of money, but something we feel passionate about, we love meeting people, sharing our house, meeting animals, and we always aim to provide delicious and interesting vegetarian and vegan food. You had our winter 'three for two' break, which, with evening meals on each night, some of the food organic, costs only £254 for two people, three nights, which I think represents great value, and we do not compromise at all on what we offer compared to our normal rates. We are delighted to have many visitors who have stayed here numerous times. We are always striving to improve what we offer and your comments have helped me to move that process forward. Many thanks again. Vanessa

Reviewed September 30, 2011

We had a lovely couple of nights at Michael House, we didn't want to leave. The food was brilliant, the view from our room was amazing. The room was lovely. Vanessa and Simon were so helpful & friendly when we asked about places we should visit and where to get vegan food. Thank you for making our much needed holiday so much more enjoyable. Loved meeting the dogs and cats too.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at this B&B in August and loved it!
Vanessa, Simon, Velvet, Merlin and Ted were all very friendly.(Didn't get to meet the other 2 family members.)
Our room was really cosy with a lovely en-suite bathroom with stunning views out to sea.
The breakfast was ample and all freshly cooked.(Even the bread!)
Would definately recommend booking in for an evening meal (even if you're not veggie) on at least one night as Vanessa is a fantastic cook.
Lovely walks straight from the front door.
A short one is down to Trebarwith Strand which should be done both when the tide is in and out, as the contrast is amazing!
Also lovely is the walk along the coastline to Tintagel.
Special thanks to Merlin who provided the cuddles as I was missing my cat Franco!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed at Michael House in April this year for an all too brief 3 nights. As others have said, we can't speak highly enough of the high standard of accommodation provided by Vanessa and Simon.

Our room was very comfortable and clean, with great views towards the Atlantic. The bathroom was luxuriously spacious and equipped with high-class, environmentally friendly toiletries.

The vegan breakfasts and evening meals were absolutely wonderful, prepared with obvious care and presented in a manner that would put many 5 star hotels to shame. The only regret we came away with was that the vast majority of people aren't vegan.

We will be returning to Cornwall in September 2011 and staying at Michael House again - can't wait!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple