“Cream Tea in the Sun”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Steeple Claydon, United Kingdom
“Cream Tea in the Sun”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The first sunny week of Summer 2013 and late afternoon we felt like a Cream Tea during our visit to St Mawes. Lucky to find a table in the far corner of the garden with the best sea view we ordered our tea which quickly arrived with 2 enormous homemade well baked scones each and large pots of jam and clotted cream and plenty of tea. It was almost as much as we could eat and indeed we had to cut back on dinner later. Good food and good service.

1 Thank julian s

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Always good!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have been to the Rising Sun pretty much everytime I've been to St Mawes. This time I had family visiting and we made a day of it getting the ferry from Falmouth.
I took them here, mainly for the view and the food. We had two small children which were well accommodated for and tucked into their child meals.
I always look at the menu and think, mmm a little expensive (around £11.00 for fish & chips). But the food is always good so can't complain. Everyone enjoyed it which was the main thing.
Still not done Sunday lunch there, so that's my next planned visit.

1 Thank BriFantana
Truro, United Kingdom
“Stunning fish & chips”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Enjoyed watching the world go by here sitting outside. Excellent fish and (real) chips with quality tartar sauce served by pleasant, helpful staff. Highly recommended.

Rural Northamptonshire
“Decent pub grub / a great home made burger.”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Lunched here on a curiosity visit to St Mawes, which isn't all that pretty but has lots of boats bobbing if you take your gaze seaward and seems to have a relaxed atmosphere. This pub has a good location and a nice view out of the very attractive elevated conservatory. Superb weather meant all the doors were open and a nice breeze was available to diners. Husband had a good gammon steak but wanted more chips, all tasty though. I had an excellent home made burger, seasoned and tasty, one of the best I've had for a long time (local beef too).

£36 for two mains, two large white wines and a pint.

Sullen barman needs to smile once in a while , letting the side down a bit there! Watch out for bombing seagulls if you eat outside, the pub has warning signs!!

uk
“Fzood fine but service lacking”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We enjoyed a very pleasant lunch yesterday BUT i thought it very poor cutomer service that after spending £80 on a lunch I was expected to walk to our table at the very front of the patio carrying knives snd forks, salt, pepper, vinegar and assorted condiments in sachets. You get your salt and pepper on the table even in Tesco's cafe....I don't eat out and expect to do waitress duties, very poor in my opinion, hence mediocre rating.