“lovely situation”
Review of The Idle Rocks

The Idle Rocks
Reserve with OpenTable
The Idle Rocks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Idle Rocks has the most enviable location in St Mawes, overlooking the harbour with views across the River Fal to Falmouth. After a long day lazing on the beach, our south facing terrace is the perfect place to relax, have a long drink, and watch the world go by. You may even see your dinner being landed on the harbourside.The Idle Rock’s restaurant, run by our head chef, Guy Owen, is a celebration of Cornwall; showcasing a range of fabulous produce that has been sourced locally using only seasonal fresh ingredients. In many cases it will have been swimming right on our doorstep only a few hours earlier and while the food is of the very highest standard our setting is very relaxed.
Reviewed May 14, 2014

just sat on the stupendous balcony and thoroughly enjoyed a local lager! Cornish Pilsner recommended by staff member, and well worth a try! Lovely!

Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Stopped for a drink on the terrace before lunch in St Mawes. What a great hotel! So chic and the staff are a great complement. Will definitely return to eat / stay in the future.

1  Thank lisamarietay
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The reviews for the hotel and the restaurant vary enormously. It makes one wonder how the experience of some can be so far short of that experienced by others.

Anyway, my significant other and I decided to book for Sunday lunch. We had previously had the same unwelcoming experience as others at the end of last summer, but were willing to give the hotel and staff the chance to redeem themselves. Having been told on the phone that valet parking was available, we arrived outside the hotel to find that actually there was no valet parking and no reserved parking available in the nearby local car park. That was for residents only.

The food offering was odd. 6 items on the brunch menu and 3 on the roast/mains. There wasn't anything I fancied as a starter before my John Dory main. We were served 2 pieces only of bread and when that had been munched the basket was whisked away! The main course arrived and I was surprised at the size of the portion. We eat out a lot and I have to say the portion was smaller than you would anticipate. The food was tasty but the fish was a little over cooked. My partners beef was served with a small fondant potato and a few roasted root vegetables. We elected to have a cheese course before dessert, to mitigate for the lack of a starter. We were served 3 very small pieces of cheese with 6 grapes, a small dish of chutney and some pieces of carta di musica, a very thin Italian flat bread resembling manuscript paper - all for £16. Fair enough. We chose different desserts and actually they were the best bit, although again portion control was tight and the ramekin with the creme brûlée was tiny, the white chocolate cheesecake tasted like white chocolate. With the meal over we had coffee in the lounge.

The lack of a mature restaurant manager was evident as we ran out of the wine we were having by the glass and eventually had to ask for another. There was no 'would you like a port with your cheese' and the service although polite lacked charisma. The dining room was empty for a bank holiday weekend, such a shame as it has been fitted so beautifully.

I don't think I would go back. Although the hotel has had thousands spent on fittings and interior design you need the food service to match the decor and sadly there is a huge gulf. A beautiful hotel doesn't make for a busy hotel necessarily. I hope it can be sorted before it's is too late.

4  Thank Firethorne
Reviewed May 10, 2014

So, Sunday lunch, a bank holiday, the freshly re opened hotel following the storm, following the re opening at the end of last season. What we have then is a stunningly set hotel and restaurant fresh from two re openings, the very best of design and quality restaurant fittings, Robert Welch flat ware, copious amounts of Lloyd Loom deck furniture, one can only imagine then that the kitchen must be at the edge of culinary perfection.
Er, No.
So, we find a Sunday lunch menu with an incongruous choice of Brunch items, or, Sunday lunch, 3 choices and no starters, unless you chose a brunch item ......from the brunch menu.
That's 3 choices for lunch - Dexter Beef, Crown of chicken, but only for two to share, or, John Dory. We chose the beef and John Dory. Fish over cooked, beef not at all tender.
Portion size , well let's just say it looks as if Chef is targeted to save money.
We asked for a cheese course to have before dessert, cheese , 3 small pieces, and 3 bits of crispy style flat bread, a copy of what they do really well at 15.
Dessert, not bad actually, but unfortunately the creme brûlée was served more as an example of what a real one would look like. We're talking small.
Service , well the staff are trying, they smile, and are polite, but there was no one really in charge, no dining room restaurant manager, no one leading from the front. Drinks, well you have to ask, there is no ..would you like anything else, you can actually get a port with cheese, I think it's called an up- sell.
I actually prefer to see something that's done well, and then tell everyone, it helps here in Cornwall, and as locals this is currently a wasted opportunity, leaving us feeling that we were privileged to even get past the reception desk. Trust me Mr and Mrs owner, this doesn't work, you see, St. Mawes is home to a world class hotel and restaurant , staffed by hand picked professionals, owned by a world class hotelier family. This all takes time, and you can't buy a hotel and restaurant over night and expect it to work unless you get stuck in.
I hope things change, this could be destination site, it could have a brilliant chef and front of house team, but not at present.

4  Thank Pommepuree
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and I dropped in here today for lunch, on a day trip from Falmouth, and we could not have had a more pleasant experience.

The staff were all absolutely lovely - special shout out to our waitress Jodie :-) - the view was fabulous, and the food, cooked by chef Mark, was as good as any we've eaten. And that includes a recent trip to the 3 Michelin Star Waterside Inn. The bouillabaise was gorgeous (I had an oyster with it, what a treat); my cod with linguini and cockles exquisite, and my wife's lobster and prawn salad equally so. And Mark made my wife a superb fruit salad that wasn't on the menu - thanks Mark.

The service was faultless - friendly, welcoming, but never obtrusive. This is our new favourite place! We're not posh, but we've eaten in some posh places, and this beats them hands down - at a very reasonable price (£80 for two including a decent bottle of Prosecco).

Really made our holiday, thanks guys.