“Sun, Sea - St Mawes !!!”
Review of The Idle Rocks

The Idle Rocks
Reserve with OpenTable
The Idle Rocks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Idle Rocks has the most enviable location in St Mawes, overlooking the harbour with views across the River Fal to Falmouth. After a long day lazing on the beach, our south facing terrace is the perfect place to relax, have a long drink, and watch the world go by. You may even see your dinner being landed on the harbourside.The Idle Rock’s restaurant, run by our head chef, Guy Owen, is a celebration of Cornwall; showcasing a range of fabulous produce that has been sourced locally using only seasonal fresh ingredients. In many cases it will have been swimming right on our doorstep only a few hours earlier and while the food is of the very highest standard our setting is very relaxed.
Iver, United Kingdom
“Sun, Sea - St Mawes !!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Chose a perfect English summer's day Saturday 4 August 2013 - slight breeze beautiful sunshine sailing regatta in full sail !!!
Four of use enjoyed an excellent lunch on a sundecked terrace with superb service by charming young ladies. . . . The goujon of sole was excellent and generous and chosen by all four of us. Sadly the desserts were not quite so generous - whilst the creme brulee was good - the ball of strawberry icecream was bereft of any accompanying wafer or decor - which looked rather sad.

The new decor is fresh and refreshingly modern without being gimmicky . . . We will look forward to visiting again soon and hope to bring the sunshine with us . . .

Requested a brochure with prices for the hotel and were somewhat surprised to be told this was only available online.

All in all an excellent experience . . .

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Julie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Idle Rocks ROCKS!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

There is a New Gem just opened in Cornwall! Having been on many many occasions to St Mawes, staying in very good hotels and rentals, I was curious to try this newly taken over 'Idle Rocks'. To my surprise it superseded expectations! On arrival, greeted at the door, to this beautiful lobby, this delicious scent, (i believe an exclusive aroma, signiture to the Idle Rocks)that fills the hotel! taken through the hotel drawing room into the bar, it just got better! The taste of decor is divine, I believe solely done by the owner! Her passion and taste supersedes anything I've seen for a long while! I'm greeted by a young handsome and bubbly barman who enthusiastically makes me 'his special' a delicious 'rhubarb martini' (I later find out this is the owners son!) My husband and I enjoy some delicious treats on the terrace outside, the chef is incredible! From truffle popcorn,oysters, and white bait! And the best 'cote du boeuf' I've ever tasted! (I believe sourced locally, like all their produce!) the vegetable accompaniment - grown from their own allotment!!!! It only got better! Each room is different, beautifully designed, full of every luxury essential!! Including our own espresso machine! A great way to start the morning, after an incredible nights sleep on their 'Hypnos beds' whilst gazing across the harbour, listening to the guls, local fisherman, enjoying the sea air and the sound of the waves lapping against the shore! The best location in town! Breakfast is relaxed a beautiful buffet style continental and then the chef, makes me (on request, for my quirky needs!) the best egg white, mushroom & salmon omelet I've ever tasted! Will I be back? Are you kidding me!! We'll be very regular customers! It seems nothing is too much! My children love the playroom, the bunk beds, the high tea, set at the central table in the dinning room! The staff! There is nothing to fault! As a mother, I also like the fact, there is a buggy park at the front door! Nothing worse than a hotel full of buggies! The vibe is relaxed and hip, awesome music, amazing flowers through-out, seems to me they've got it exactly right! It all seems effortless! But i at at least know, the effort behind that, the attention to detail and it seems no doubt a 'labour of love' which actually makes this hotel. So many 'hotel chains' loose the personal touch! This place is an 'expirence' of care, love and attention. Not only 'value for money' but you leave having had 'an expirence' I don't think any other environment could make us love St Mawes more! A home away from home, but better!!! In fact contemplating 'moving in'! I'm a fan!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank JuicyM2013
falmouth
“Work in Progress”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Lunch for five at the newly refurbished Idle Rocks proved to be a considerable disappointment. Tried to book for 1pm, but the restaurant could only accommodate us for 1.30pm, despite being about 15% occupied when we arrived. After 15 minutes, we had achieved two menus between us and no service. After 20 minutes, I ventured to the Bar and enquired of the two staff standing there whether I might have the Wine List. The response was 'what'? Eventually, a waitress appeared with the List and asked whether we would like a menu each! The menu itself proved to be a confusing mixture of tapas and bar food, but at top restaurant prices. A bottle of Pouilly Fume was ordered, but the Waitress returned after a further 10 minutes to say that it was no longer available. An alternative was selected, but again failed to appear in a reasonable time. Another visit to the Bar elicited the response that it was 'on its way, awaiting a bottle opener from upstairs'. We finally managed a bottle of poorly chilled wine some 40 minutes after arrival. Food was ordered and was generally of a good standard, with the exception of the tiny portions of fatty lamb. A request for bread brought the almost Pythonesque response that the chef 'makes it fresh', hence only on demand. Quite how that would work in a full restaurant was unclear. As it was, the bread was merely three small rolls which had been heated through. Ice creams were delicious but, at £3 per small scoop, expensive. The Wine List is mainly populated with modest New World wines, marked up steeply. In sum, the views of St Mawes are great and the refurbishment, in décor terms, is a success. However, there appeared to be no Manager on our visit and the Staff are in dire need of training. If the Idle Rocks is trying to compete with the Tresanton at St Mawes - and in pricing it would appear to be, if nothing else - then it needs to raise its game markedly, and quickly.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank galingale
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Lovely food and wine served by an excellent team of staff. St Mawes is always super and now there is another great restaurant to relax in.

Can't wait to try the smoked food that the chef told us about .

Keep up the good work.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dashwoods
Sticker, United Kingdom
“Great views, lovely staff but food a bit pricey!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Went for lunch here with Mrs N and Melodie from The Good Cornwall Guide as we all read about it in The Sunday Times Style magazine and always looking for new places to eat near home.
Weather was alas not great so no al fresco dining on the super terrace overlooking the bay.
Very friendly staff, great wine list and super atmosphere but prices a bit toppy for what you get - menu is simple but very pricey for lunch.
£18 for a club sandwich for example.
Manager Sid is ex Ian Schrager so knows his onions, he is supremely attentive and overall a really nice vibe and a competitive antidote to The Tresanton up the road.
Well worth a visit on a warm sunny day, lounge on the terrace and polish off the excellent Provence rose.
Give it a go if you are not on a budget!

Visited July 2013