“Good lunch time venue.”

The View Cafe
Ranked #17 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Description: The View Cafe is on the harbourside in the Cornish fishing village of St Mawes. As it´s name suggests it boasts uninterupted views across the harbour and the Percuil River estuary.Open daily The View Cafe offers a variety of of light bites and lunches ranging from traditional Cornish Pasties to Fish & Chips. We also offer a wide variety of Sandwiches, Baguettes and Paninis, all of which are freshly prepared to order.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Good food at reasonable prices. Good lunchtime menu and cream teas for the afternoon. Fast and friendly service. Good outlook over the harbour.

1  Thank Carole M
ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The View Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review. Your review is very pleasing to read for us and serves as a good reward to the hard work that has gone into making "The View" the success it is. We simply aim to provide good value for money with a pleasant setting and friendly team.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I visit St Mawes regulary during the year and always stop off for my lunch in this cafe. The prawn sandwich's are exeptional, as is the coffee and the cakes. The Head Chef Grant is a delight, always up for a laugh and you get the idea that he has so much pride in his work and his food. The girls behind the counter are always cheery and friendly, always smiling and eager to help. The views across the harbour are beautiful, the seating is in the window and you have unrestricted views across the harbour ( as the name View Cafe sudjects ). All in all, i am always very happy with the service, food and cost of the View Cafe, keep up the good work guys!!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful comments, I will ensure they get read by all (especially Grant!).

I hope next time you visit St Mawes you will think of our welcoming team and amazing views when choosing where to stop for lunch

Reviewed August 28, 2012

takes a lot of thought to actually write a bad review but this potentially brilliant venue - right off the quay, could be fantastic. But half the menu was unavailable. no home made cakes (just pre-wrapped McVities cakes), no scones, no real greeting from the staff, none of the windows opened making it stiflingly hot. We ended up just buying a couple of drinks which were fine and the loos were clean. The best we can say about this venue I'm afraid, it seemed pretty empty for most of the time we were in St. Mawes - a real shame...

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for the time you have taken to review "The View"

We take all comments very seriously and use them to improve the Cafe. We are currently reviewing our menu's and operating after a very successful year, and will bear your comments in mind when doing this review.

After investigating it seems you came into "The View" after a very busy day where all of our fresh homemade cakes and scones had been snapped up!

I hope that next time you visit St Mawes you will visit us again

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This dining facility is not recommended. The environment is quite unpleasant, the service is very slow and the quality of food is less than ordinary. Toilet required cleaning. Go elsewhere.

1  Thank JandJFarnhamCommon
ShipandCastleHotel, Manager at The View Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review us. It should be noted that food in the View Cafe is prepared freshly to order, and when busy this can cause some waiting times.
I have great faith in the product we offer and the quality of the food which is served.

Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

My family and I went to the view cafe for an afternoon cream tea on a wet August. Service was very slow but staff pleasant. The scones were stone cold, which in my opinion should be warm. We sat by the entrance, which was absolutely filthy. The window seal obviously hasn't seen a cloth in months and to top it off the staff from the hotel sat on the outside window ledge smoking... Not a great experience!!

ShipandCastleHotel, General Manager at The View Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank your for your review. I am shocked and disappointed to read such comments about our Cafe - and I know the team will be too, your comments are a huge contrast to previous visitors and reviewers. I will take each point and raise it with the cafe team to ensure we maintain our normal high standards, however I would like to emphasise how seriously we take hygiene and cleanliness and I will thoroughly inspect the cafe today to ensure any shortfalls are addressed immediately.

Thank you for your review.
David McDonald